Steve Bruce Sacked (Merged)

TheDrums

As I said before, O'Neill's return to VP will be very spicy. We've got to think of some abusive chants.

Why ?

Because he's a word removed and we're pretty good at coming up with chants.

He's a word removed?

Perhapsn you haven't looked at the players that left since he did, or in fact, the league position since he did.

Theres only one word removed here, its not him, and it's not me. I can only imagine from contiunual sniping of one of the better managers we've had since your parents were born, that he must have fondled you at church or something, because your demented critisism is becoming irational. You critisised the style of football. Well, have you seen a single game since he left, because frankly, it's getting worse. Remeber 3 years ago or so, that night we beat spurzz at WHL, playing them off the park, Young looking fantastic down the right. and did you see us playing spurs last week.

Get over it mate - your wax cylinder is broken. I'd have O'Neill back in a hearbeat over the ginger clearing in the woods or the french word removed.

The big problem is Lerner lost his bottle, did an Abramovich about the team in terms of making demands on squads,wages, and the man who was putting it together walked. If we'd bought Bent 1 season earlier, we would be in the top 4 now, with ability to pull inplayers we wanted.

Oh wow, I called St Martin a name therefore you insult me? Nice one. I'm amazed at how defense you're getting over this. :lol:

VillaAlex summed it up perfectly, just because our last two managerial appointments have not been a success doesn't mean MON was either. With the money he had, he underachieved.

Still bemuses me to this day how that guy has such fanatic following.

VillaAlex summed it up perfectly, just because our last two managerial appointments have not been a success doesn't mean MON was either. With the money he had, he underachieved.

I think the continued view of some of O'Neill is shaped by what went before him and what has come after him just as much as it is shaped by what he did in his time here.

To give an example of what I mean, take Spurs. Spurs fans thought Jol was great, his replacements didn't live up to his standard and so they thought he was even better then came Harry Redknapp then it was Martin who?

Id rather have Steve Bruce here than McCrap.

Yes we understand you would like nearly every manager instead of McLeish, you don't need to repeat this statement relating to every manager though...

Its rather embarrassingly true tho.

After maybe Steve Kean we have perhaps the worse manager in the Premiership. We have a manager who should not even be managing in the Premiership.

I think the continued view of some of O'Neill is shaped by what went before him and what has come after him just as much as it is shaped by what he did in his time here.

To give an example of what I mean, take Spurs. Spurs fans thought Jol was great, his replacements didn't live up to his standard and so they thought he was even better then came Harry Redknapp then it was Martin who?

Its a good point. Whilst season on season improvement and 3 top 6 finishes on the spin is nothing to be sniffed at its hardly spectacular success is it. Everything is relative though I guess and compared to the season before he arrived, where we battled relegation for a lot of it, the season after he left ,where we were in the mix for relegation for most of it, and now then yes the years under O'Neill were clearly a lot more successful and for a time gave hope of real success.

I'd like to think come 2020 we won't be looking at the O'Neill years as the most successful of the current century. Unfortunately though I think we will.

If MON doesnt end up with Sunderland job, it's hard for me to see how he will manage in the Premier League again. This is about as big as a job as he could get now.

He wants a big club, he wants to be backed, he wont get any better. So if this doesnt land for him, what will? Unless he lowers his demands/standards.

Still, wont miss him how he put us in the shit when he walked when he did.

Wonder if he would have been in that West Ham job if there wasn't that outcry at the time with Avram Grant..

Be very surprised if it aint MON or Hughes unveiled at Sunderland.

I don't know if it is common knowledge or not, I'm guessing not as I've not seen it mentioned so far in this thread but Martin O'Neill is a boyhood Sunderland fan.

I read it a few years ago which is why I've thought all season it is enevitable that would be where he ended up given Bruce's issues.

This combined with the way he has seemingly put himself in the shop window lately is why I lumped my winnings on it and why I'm confident my bet will come in.

Yeah Hughes is the only other obvious candidate but I think for a number of reasons O'Neill has the edge, not least because unless you have actually followed a team he manages you really would think his shit smells of roses.

He would though become a good choice for them and will in the short to medium term do a good job for them even if he buys some terrible players in the process.

I don't know if it is common knowledge or not, I'm guessing not as I've not seen it mentioned so far in this thread but Martin O'Neill is a boyhood Sunderland fan.

Yeh, this is why I thought he was nailed on for the job. Then yesterday I noticed that the Sunderland owner/chairman... can't remember his name, sorry... is apparently very close friends with Randy, so I'm no longer so sure MON will get the job.

Yeh, this is why I thought he was nailed on for the job. Then yesterday I noticed that the Sunderland owner/chairman... can't remember his name, sorry... is apparently very close friends with Randy, so I'm no longer so sure MON will get the job.

Ellis Short.

Damn didn't know that bit of info, wish I'd known that before.

Although to be fair perhaps Randy will give him the benefit of his experience ie, keep an eye on the wage bill. All in all O'Neill is a more than decent manager and one Sunderland would be foolish to over look.

Â