Republic of Ireland

Voinjama

Think the Irish fans were too hard on him. He was actually a very good Ireland manager and got them to Euro 2012.

His tenure can be broken into 2 parts. The first part he did very well. His remit was to qualify us for Euro 2012 and he did that. It's at that point that he should have gone. Everyone knew it except the FAI. His best players either retired after Euro2012 or they were over the hill. However, in John Delaney's wisdom, Trap was given a new contract and he persisted with the old and had to be coerced into bringing in the new. He did it reluctantly and he made them play like dinosaurs. That's the 2nd part. In doing so, he has not only wasted our world cup qualifying campaign but he has set the development of the next generation of Irish players back 2 years. The damage he has done over the past year has created a resentment towards him that is unfortunate given the way he could have walked away a year ago. His team selections, his substitutions and his tactics have absolutely baffled everyone. He only started GOING TO ACTUAL PREMIER LEAGUE GAMES a year ago when he was shamed into doing so by the media. This for a man earning €2m a year in wages?!?!?! His heart wasn't in it and as my mate said yesterday - "We basically paid him £8m to learn the English language.".
  • Like 1

Isn't it a bit awkward a man from Northern Ireland managing the Republic?

Nope, not in the slightest. Far more is made of that outside these shores than is made on them.

Nope, not in the slightest. Far more is made of that outside these shores than is made on them.

He'd probably get death threats from the prods though.

He'd probably get death threats from the prods though.

I believe Martin O'Neill's underwear is green anyway. Michael's OTOH is maybe a bit of green at the front and some orange at the back :)

I'll also say I'm very disappointed in the lack of trash-talking by the likes of Pelle & Tegis after this round of games :) Maybe they're waiting 'til they navigate the Austria game before launching a full-on assault :D

Think the Irish fans were too hard on him. He was actually a very good Ireland manager and got them to Euro 2012.

His tenure can be broken into 2 parts. The first part he did very well. His remit was to qualify us for Euro 2012 and he did that. It's at that point that he should have gone. Everyone knew it except the FAI. His best players either retired after Euro2012 or they were over the hill. However, in John Delaney's wisdom, Trap was given a new contract and he persisted with the old and had to be coerced into bringing in the new. He did it reluctantly and he made them play like dinosaurs. That's the 2nd part. In doing so, he has not only wasted our world cup qualifying campaign but he has set the development of the next generation of Irish players back 2 years. The damage he has done over the past year has created a resentment towards him that is unfortunate given the way he could have walked away a year ago. His team selections, his substitutions and his tactics have absolutely baffled everyone. He only started GOING TO ACTUAL PREMIER LEAGUE GAMES a year ago when he was shamed into doing so by the media. This for a man earning €2m a year in wages?!?!?! His heart wasn't in it and as my mate said yesterday - "We basically paid him £8m to learn the English language.".

Couldn't have put it better myself BOF.  

I'd love Martin O'Neill to get the job by the way.  I think he'd be perfect for it.

If he was an ex-Rangers manager and an orange man then yes it would be extremely awkward imo.  

Am not that much in favour of MON myself although his man management skills and the fact he seems to get the best out of underdog type teams gives me hope.  I just have bad memories of him making subs in the 93rd minute of games when we had players who were out on their feet and should of been subbed earlier. Imo he is a bit too stubborn for his own good and often leaves it til its too late to make changes in personnel and formation.

Bring back Big Mick!!

Edited by Bunnski

Trap is a great manager, his record over 40 years in top level managment stands up to anyone. He should have left after 2012 but he has done a decent job at Ireland punching above their weight. I suspect O'Neill will get it,, he needs a job and no decent premier league side will take him on now.  Cue confusions over both Ireland and North Iron managers called O'Neill.

Anyone from the isle is Irish, besides which, if he shares the views of his brother, which I witnessed a few years ago, then he is a strong republican anyway.

A nice job for him, one that he can't really screw up.

Roddy Collins being linked....... :D

If you wait a few months Hodgson might be available, probably wouldn't look great appointing someone sacked by England but he's the type who'd do well with Ireland I'd say.

Pfft Ireland can do better then that spoofer. Its been confirmed that lovable billionaire Denis O' Brien will continue to pony up a fat cheque to attract a big name 

Â