Republic of Ireland

Voinjama

Green was probably our best player in Stockholm when stifling Zlatan and should have kept his palce after that.

as for McClean thought he was dreadful on friday myself all puff but nothing else. pilkington did more within 15 seconds as McClean all game and that was just controlling the ball

id have went with Brady instead of Walters would give us completely different dimension. Also dont know what Meyler has to do to get a game, I think Meyler could be midfielder to protect McCarthy and get best out of him

Regarding Green. It's completely typical and symptomatic of Trapattoni's reign that Green is only back in because Whelan has an injury. It doesn't matter that he played well the last time he played or that he deserves to be in. He wouldn't be there had Whelan not picked up a knock. We end up with good starting 11s despite Trap, not because of him.

I think given our relatively sparse talent, it makes complete sense to use club mates when you can. So as you say, putting Hoolahan and Pilkington in the same side would be great. And it's not even as if we'd be compromising on ability by doing so. They're regular Premier League players. There's a similar discussion happening with the Scottish side at the moment where a stubborn Strachan is ignoring Jordan Rhodes because he wants to play one up top and Rhodes is suited to a 4-4-2. Sorry Gordon but you really should be using whatever talent you've got and this lad is a goal machine. Plus it's not like Scotland are even scoring under your current system.

Slightly OT, but on the subject of irish managers. When I was at college a few years ago I did a few shifts in a local brum pub to earn a few pennies, one busy evening I was running around the bar like a blue arse fly and one very drunk costumer said to me 'I'd buy you a drink but instead I'll give you a better tip, brian kerr will be the next irish manager, bet everything you have on it'

He give me what I thought was a cock and bull story about knowing Roy Keane who had told him this, I checked the odds and the guy wasn't even in the betting at the time,(and I'd never even heard of him) which in my mind confirmed my initial view that the guy was talking rubbish. Alas, the rest is history.

I can see Ireland getting a result in Vienna tomorrow night, that line-up has 1-1 draw written all over it. If only we could play all our qualifying games away from home!

Any issue with MON being from the North side of the border.....?

I would say McDermott, Chris Hughton and maybe even Roy Keane would be under consideration aswell but then the FAI pay peanuts don't they?

FAI don't pay the wages for Trappatoni, they're paid instead by a billionaire businessman of ill-repute. It's all gravy if he continues to agree to pay big money for a new manager so long as its a 'name' I'd reckon.

Seeing as MON is from the same city as many players and supporters of the national team, I can't see it being an issue.

Slightly OT, but on the subject of irish managers. When I was at college a few years ago I did a few shifts in a local brum pub to earn a few pennies, one busy evening I was running around the bar like a blue arse fly and one very drunk costumer said to me 'I'd buy you a drink but instead I'll give you a better tip, brian kerr will be the next irish manager, bet everything you have on it'

He give me what I thought was a cock and bull story about knowing Roy Keane who had told him this, I checked the odds and the guy wasn't even in the betting at the time,(and I'd never even heard of him) which in my mind confirmed my initial view that the guy was talking rubbish. Alas, the rest is history.

call me sceptical but Keane was on international exile when Kerr took over and didnt come back until after he had a year in the job

Any issue with MON being from the North side of the border.....?

I would say McDermott, Chris Hughton and maybe even Roy Keane would be under consideration aswell but then the FAI pay peanuts don't they?

doesnt matter where manager comes from really once they are good enough. Dont want MON as he is a prick :P

call me sceptical but Keane was on international exile when Kerr took over and didnt come back until after he had a year in the job

Well I didn't believe the guy hence not putting a bet on. Maybe he just got lucky, fact is he was right and I regret not listening.  I've never past up on a tip from a drunk irishman since  :)

He may have added it for kudos but then just because Keane was in international exile doesn't mean he wasn't privvy to info by virtue of being a pro footballer either. You're right though. Brian Kerr was the people's choice and it was the right thing to do.

Watching Ireland these is literally like watching the grass grow.  Maybe it's for the best we don't qualify so we don't have to travel 5700 miles to make an absolute show of ourselves.  There's players in the League Of Ireland for Pats and Dundalk that I'd have in before some of the dross in our starting 11.  

see i dont agree with dross statement, , McCarthy, Coleman, Long, Hoolahan, Brady, Pilkington, Wilson even Keane still are all capable footballers. We arent going to play like Spain but we shouldnt be playing like Stoke

For all his hype, the jury is still out on McCarthy. He has put in some ok performances in friendlies but nothing spectacular, my suspicion is he isn't good enough to play in a 442. I'd also drop one of JOS or Dunne for Clark, all capable of howlers but has shown he can be decent in the green. 

1-1 tonight I reckon, Trap to cling on 'til the inevitable annihilation in Cologne. Crazy to think the Habsburgs don't have Weimann as a regular starter.

Edited by Corcaigh

Â