The, he's finally GONE! Tell us your thoughts Thread

Richard

Do you THINK McLeish will be gone by next season?  

370 members have voted

1. 1. Do you THINK McLeish will be gone by next season?

• Yes I think he will
    • No I think he will be here

I've been hearing of Rednapp, Hodson, Wenger even Lambert for the England job. If the useless **** bullshitting media think he is so good and wasted with us fickle fans, why on earth has it not even been sniffed at that he could be the man for the England job. Shall I answer it for you?

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any form of fan protest will only result in the media sympathizing more with AM. Look what happened at Blackburn and i wouldn't want to be associated with the way their fans treated their manager.

You also have to think about what sort of damage a full scale protest would do to attracting another manager to the club?

If the type of football and results don't improve next season, if we survive that is, then AM will be moved on soon enough.

And we wouldn't want to be branded 'Small Time' would we? Yes, let's wait until next season until it's too late. There's nothing like apathy!

I don't think we would be branded small time. We have a reputation for doing things right and as it is at the moment, the majority of managers we'd be interested in, would still come to us if AM was sacked by the board due to results not being good enough. However if there is a mass protest and he is sacked because of it, or the board is forced into doing it, what do you think AM will say? Probably something like 'the fans just wouldn't give me a chance.' Do you want to present that excuse to him on a plate?

Do you not think that protesting would also influence other managers accepting the job at our club? Ferguson would also have something to say and someone like Lambert wouldn't touch us with a barge pole if things turned nasty at our club. I have no doubt that AM will be sacked but let the friggin board do it and not we the fans.

Don't be frightened of the media. They are rarley pro villa anyway - even the early 80's they didn't warm to us.

Sometimes you have to do whats right and be dammed. Personally I think leaving until the last game is a mistake - AM\PF\RL only have to grin and bear it for 90 minutes - and then that it weve lost our moment - I can't believe it takes 3 weeks to a4 banners printed. I remember the £ protest - organised in less than week. - so I hope its AM out from Sat until May 6 - we haven't protested all season and have won 4 home games - so it can't be considered an adverse effect on the team

Screw what the media will think, they have no passion, no loyalty, no desire for our club, we are the important people here, players, managers and owners come and go, Aston Villa and the fans are the only constant in the ever changing world of football.

Protest, Chant, unfurl banners, don't go to the games, don't buy the merchandise,

but don't stand by making excuses as to why we shouldn't have a go at getting this disaster of a manager out of the football club before he can do any more damage, Villa fans of the world unite and let everyone know we don't like where this clown is taking us.

Surely everyone can just bring one along.99% of people have computers with printers.... a good test of who gives a shit enough to bother.

This is a good theory, but in practice simply can't work. The issue with the protests has been that most fans do not go on message boards etc. The only thing that we all do is go to games - you need to bring the protest to them.

There is this belief that it is just a small minority of Villa fans that are against AMC so vehemently, but in fact it's just a matter of publicity. Put it this way, if everyone on this board today (including all those abroad etc) could protest at Villa Park it'd still be considered a small minority. No-one else would be aware.

But if you make 30,000 leaflets available, and are handing them out at the game (no 'meet here', or 'sing this' or other things that need loads of planning) then I think you'd find a good 90% will hold on to it considering the feelings of the Claret and Blue faithful and use it if they feel it's appropriate to (like after the match or 5th goal goes in against us...)

Apathy is killing this club. I couldn't give a rats ass about our perception as fans, I just want what is right for our club and if all I need to do is make my feelings heard is attend a match and hold up a piece of paper then I'm all for it.

Any form of fan protest will only result in the media sympathizing more with AM. Look what happened at Blackburn and i wouldn't want to be associated with the way their fans treated their manager.

You also have to think about what sort of damage a full scale protest would do to attracting another manager to the club?

If the type of football and results don't improve next season, if we survive that is, then AM will be moved on soon enough.

And we wouldn't want to be branded 'Small Time' would we? Yes, let's wait until next season until it's too late. There's nothing like apathy!

I don't think we would be branded small time. We have a reputation for doing things right and as it is at the moment, the majority of managers we'd be interested in, would still come to us if AM was sacked by the board due to results not being good enough. However if there is a mass protest and he is sacked because of it, or the board is forced into doing it, what do you think AM will say? Probably something like 'the fans just wouldn't give me a chance.' Do you want to present that excuse to him on a plate?

Do you not think that protesting would also influence other managers accepting the job at our club? Ferguson would also have something to say and someone like Lambert wouldn't touch us with a barge pole if things turned nasty at our club. I have no doubt that AM will be sacked but let the friggin board do it and not we the fans.

Do you think the Board are capable of making a logical and sensible decision without any influence from the fans?

Do you think other managers have such high morals and principles that they wouldn't be lured by a multi £million salary?

To be honest, I don't give a toss what Alex McLeish says. Everything that has come out of his mouth since last summer has been complete bollocks.

As far as managers go it really depends who we go for. If it was another bollocks like Bruce then i would totally agree with you but if we are to try and poach a manager, say Lambert, then yes i think what we do might influence him to stay where he is.

Our board has already made a decision without consulting us and they will continue to do that. We have never really had a reputation as a hire and fire club. We do tend to give managers a chance and i guess that tradition is part of the reason why AM hasn't been fired yet along with the conditions in which he has had to work, meaning cutbacks, bringing the youth through and injuries. The issue of compensation is probably a third reason why Lerner hasn't yet pulled the trigger but there is no doubt in my mind that if we survive this season, McLeish is given money in the summer to fashion his own team and we continue to struggle within the first six games of next season then the board will act without any help from us!

So Morpheous do you really think Lerner is going to give the manager money to spend but would sack him after 6 games if its not going well........really.

I cannot see Lerner sacking him after 36 let alone 6.

I am sure people within the game can see what the situation is at Villa Park and many would probably understand the fans frustrations. I am not sure it would be enough to put anyone off the job if they thought they were good enough and fancied the challenge, not to mention the very nice salary which goes with it.

How do we know he is not the new Fergie ;-) wasnt he gonna be sacked in his first season or two as well ?

Total myth about Fergie being close to the sack. I've a book on management and the manure board saw the Fergie was changing Manure fat every level from ridding the club of its drinking culture, overhauling the entire coaching and scouting and youth systems. Thry saw what Fergie was putting into place and could see how it was creating a whole new ethos and cuture at the club. Hey tore the clubs way of working apart and, by looking at how other sucessful sports teams did things which led to sustainable success, built an empire. Yes he got lucky with that crop coming through in the 90s, along with signing a genius in Cantona. But the pissed up jock had a masterplan that their board, deespite a few nervy moments, bought into.

I very much doubt McLeish would know what the word legacy means, let alone build one.

I very much doubt McLeish would know what the word legacy means, let alone build one.

The only thing he could build would be a lego model,even then it would be very boring & basic

He'd better not try to muscle in on my patch!

How do we know he is not the new Fergie ;-) wasnt he gonna be sacked in his first season or two as well ?

Total myth about Fergie being close to the sack.

Aye.

He got them to finish second in his first full season.

It was into year 4 - after countless millions spent (biggest spenders in the country, in fact and only lower>mid table league position) that the knives were out.

There probably is a worthwhile comparison with McLeish in there somewhere, but I'm struggling to see it.

Â