The, he's finally GONE! Tell us your thoughts Thread

Richard

Do you THINK McLeish will be gone by next season?  

370 members have voted

1. 1. Do you THINK McLeish will be gone by next season?

• Yes I think he will
    • No I think he will be here

I can't remember VP ever being a fortress tbh, we were usually decent on the road under MON IIRC

02/03 was the last time it was close to a proper fortress and thank **** it was as our away form was diabolical

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Still think Lerner gets off far too easily.

We have a manager who has been given the target of just surviving and all the negative focus is on him, the players and a man who left the club over 18 months ago.

Unacceptable IMO that Lerner got us into this mess and unacceptable that his only ambition for the club now is to survive in the premier league.

Can't agree on the "target for just surviving bit". McLeish himself said that a finish of below 9th would be a failure, hence there can't have been such a target.

I agree as to where the culpability for the manager's appointment lies, however.

76/77 was a great year at VP, best entertainment I have ever seen

Too true! :D More goals scored by Villa in the top-flight that season than in any season since the 1930s ... and the best league position for (then) 44 years.

If Villa had not lost some silly games that year they may well have finished top.

But (sigh) 5 goals against 'Pool, the Gunners and Ipswich.

He's either given money in the summer to fill the obvious gaps that will be left in the squad and allowed next season to see what he can do or he's sacked. Giving him money in the summer to do the rebuild and then only giving him until January is sheer madness as Trent says.

So, he must go in the summer?

Me I've always been fairly ambivalent about the current managerial situation, I don't think he's that good though I don't think he's as bad as he's painted by some.

To be flirting in 15th spot with a top-10 squad?!! The same points last season would probably be seeing Villa relegated.

He's clearly been given a brief to vastly reduce the wage bill this summer and to fill the gaps by cheaper means, using whatever younger players he can to achieve it.

Something along those lines, I agree.

He's also been set a target of survival, anything more is a bonus for the club I suspect who in private probably have more "realistic" aims than they publicly state.

I don't buy into this since McLeish said that anything below 9th would be a failure. 9th is a modest enough target but no real sign of it being achieved.

He'll achieve both of his objectives for his first year in charge, so I can't see how he can be under threat, he'll get his second year whether we like it or not.

Best get used to it I think.

Unfortunately you may well be right there, Bicks, except that I can't see him lasting through his second year.

I have to admit that I did an unsuccessful Google last week to find a "9th place" quote, and a more intensive one just now, again without success.

I have to say I recall some comment made by McLeish (and thought it was about the 9th place matter), but the only one on Google I found was a quote from him in December stating his fear of failure in the Premier League.

So despite quite a few Villa supporters stating the 9th place "quote", it may be that it's something that has developed into an exaggeration of his December statement. In which case I would apologise.

the recent talk about "Big summer spending" is a joke and is clearly a PR move to get people to fork out on season tickets..

Eh.. We are looking into Das Bost, he is yet another striker we've been linked to in the last 2-3 weeks.. "Big summer spending" to me is Lerner gives me £30 million and I sell Bent for £20 million. He then buys in Das Bost for £5 million and has £45 million to spend on the rest of the team. Now you may say £30 million is a lot to be given but McLeish barely touched the funds he got last summer or in January.. He may have even more than £30 million to spend if he's been saving it up.

the recent talk about "Big summer spending" is a joke and is clearly a PR move to get people to fork out on season tickets..

Eh.. We are looking into Das Bost, he is yet another striker we've been linked to in the last 2-3 weeks.. "Big summer spending" to me is Lerner gives me £30 million and I sell Bent for £20 million. He then buys in Das Bost for £5 million and has £45 million to spend on the rest of the team. Now you may say £30 million is a lot to be given but McLeish barely touched the funds he got last summer or in January.. He may have even more than £30 million to spend if he's been saving it up.

Have you seen our latest financial results? I predict an underwhelming summer of transfer activity at B6.

You think Lerner is going to give him £30 million and every penny we get for bent?

You think Lerner is going to give him £30 million and every penny we get for bent?

I am trying to be optimistic unlike many on this site.. Sure I may just end up let down, but I am tired of the negativity about everything surrounding this club.. So yeah I hope Lerner does as the club needs it.

He'll get 10-15m max imo

So you think it makes sense to give the guy the summer and whatever cash we have to invest in developing his squad and then give him until January?

If we are that unsure about him we should get rid in the summer.

No, I never said that. IMO he should get the summer to shape things and if we're struggling come Xmas, then a rethink is needed

That is the same thing.

Of course it isn't, you're saying we're "that unsure", I'm saying, he needs more time. He's had a difficult first season under a really difficult situation.

Let's see how he goes in season 2

No he hasnt.

He has had 20 million to spend, on top of a good mid table minimum squad, a summer to implement his dutch master class and we are still floundering at the wrong end of the table!

I have to take anybody who suggest giving this guy anything other than the boot as someone whose primary interest is draughts, a deliberate antagonist or Paul Faulkner.

Usually, when reason disappears for a couple of days, those people tend to jump onto this thread and promulgate mischief with misguided and often fictitious arguments. Thankfully, reason usually comes back after a sabbatical to provide some sense of reality to proceedings. :-)

Â