• Collins
    • Ireland
    • Albrighton
    • Petrov
    • Bannan
    • Agbonlahor
    • Delfouneso
    • N'Zogbia (for Albrighton 73)

so we have the worst of the last few seasons at villa - the complete lack of movement (throw ins were painful) the long ball, the shakey defending, lack of subs

with the worst of mcleish - the complete lack of shape, where was the fonz exactly? 1 up front, no tactical changes, no guile, nothing from set plays, no pressing, seemingly alot of the pace taken out of the game we cant even counter attack anymore - thrown in for fun

Ho hum, its disappointing to lose but its only the League Cup. I'm sure McLeish will have crucified them after that shite performance and things will be better on Saturday.

He'll want to be very careful criticising some of our players. They can turn very nasty.

Just got back ... oh dear, I've been thinking hard trying to think of a more abject performance but failed. I'm just shocked at how flat the entire team were, it was the same on Saturday and if carries on we are in big trouble this season. Teams are going to see this and come and take the game to us at VP and you know what, we've got nothing to throw back at them, we are devoid of any movement or ideas, players are waving their arms around pointing to areas where another player should be ... no one has a clue what is going on.

The blame for that lays firmly at the managers door for me, 1 up front again at home, no goal threat, what's the point, we are playing a Bolton side that's made 9 changes to a team that lost to Norwich on Saturday.

Why on Earth is Hutton starting football matches? It's obvious that he's either really shit or very unfit (this is what I believe it is).

Play Herd (our motm before we signed Hutton)

Play Beye

You don't play someone who is clearly unfit if you want to win the match.

Collins: why, why, why does he keep playing those 40 yard hollywood balls? Bannan is 5ft5 and he ain't gonna win a Collins hoof in the air. I blame the coaching. If a player continously (75%+ of the time) loses the ball when he plays those long passes, YOU TELL HIM TO STOP DOING IT!!!!! Why is he allowed to keep attempting those passes? It's just so wasteful...especially since we struggle to keep possession.

Collins: why, why, why does he keep playing those 40 yard hollywood balls? Bannan is 5ft5 and he ain't gonna win a Collins hoof in the air. I blame the coaching. If a player continously (75%+ of the time) loses the ball when he plays those long passes, YOU TELL HIM TO STOP DOING IT!!!!! Why is he allowed to keep attempting those passes? It's just so wasteful...especially since we struggle to keep possession.

The front 5 just weren't moving at all. Collins really didn't have much on when he received the ball, it was either give it to Dunne, play a 1-2 with Petrov or play it back to Given. Otherwise he just had to go long with it. We're just so static and we'll always struggle if we play like that.

Dire tonight - no two ways about it. totally unacceptable.

I can't see where the answers come from - we don't seem to be able to get the ball to the front blokes. Nor do we have people in the squad who can do this......and even more worringly - should we able to purchase such players - our managers record of getting creative players to spark isn't great. - Helb, Bentley at blues.

The front 5 just weren't moving at all. Collins really didn't have much on when he received the ball, it was either give it to Dunne, play a 1-2 with Petrov or play it back to Given. Otherwise he just had to go long with it. We're just so static and we'll always struggle if we play like that.

iirc he did it on all 3 kick offs before anyone even had a chance to move

One of the reasons I can't stand Collins. Those long balls are driving me nuts.

Did not bother to go tonight. Based on the radio commentary it sounded grim and I pity those who paid their hard earned cash for that pile of crap.

I may be in the minority but I'm not against McLeish (yet at least). Tonight there were lots of poor performances which are down to the players. We have sold our two most creative players and replaced only one of them with an unfit player who has not gelled with the team yet (he said optimistically).

McLeish has to make the best of what he has got which clearly lacks a touch of steel and class in midfield. Lets not forget we have sold four fully fledged England internationals in the past three seasons and not properly replaced any of them. I believe his strength as a manager is to get the players playing and that was sadly lacking tonight. Tactics are difficult to judge when players are not playing well but one up front at home is worrying to say the least

I'm not anti Lerner but clearly the ground rules have changed and I think the club should be a little more honest about its objectives and the backing the manager has or has not got. Clearly its the latter. At the end of the day Villa is a business owned by Lerner and he can run it any way he wants.

I love the club but I'm sad to admit I have lost interest. I've still got two season tickets and I have no intention of giving those up any time soon. What gets to me is the way the club papers over the cracks with the crap it spouts on the OS and AVTV and I for one am glad that clown the General has given up posting on this site. What's abundantly clear to me is the feel good factor around the club is long long gone.

The club seems to expect the fans to remain equally as fervent as previous seasons. Mind you its difficult to judge how much of the lower gates is us or football in general or the economy. My guess is its a bit of all three. Interestingly NU on Saturday brought far fewer fans than usual which points towards the latter two reasons.

Â