• Ireland
    • Albrighton
    • Petrov
    • Bannan
    • Agbonlahor
    • Delfouneso
    • N'Zogbia (for Albrighton 73)

One more thing about last night...

These are professional players, they don't need Eric Black barking out the exact spot they need to be stood on every 5 seconds. Just let them play ffs!

Didn't Graham Taylor essentially say those very words before England took on the USA in a friendly match shortly before failing to qualify for the World Cup in '94? They were subsequently beaten 2-0.

Players should take more responsibility, but they also need to be led. They are not jazz musicians that can riff with new bandmates on pure instinct - they have been told what to do and where to go the entire length of their careers, and they need instruction and motivation.

I will never excuse a lack of effort - and I think it's fair to say there were a few who could not exactly claim to have given everything they had to give last night and deserve to be criticised accordingly - but the lack of leadership on and off the pitch is why performances such as this occur.

I will never excuse a lack of effort - and I think it's fair to say there were a few who could not exactly claim to have given everything they had to give last night and deserve to be criticised accordingly - but the lack of leadership on and off the pitch is why performances such as this occur.

Who would you say didnt put the effort in?

I thought our worst player (by a distance) was Albrighton, but I wouldnt say that he lacked effort. The only players I'd possibly level that at would be Delfouneso and possibly Hutton.

Are we really reliant on Heskey that much? Things have gone really downhill since he got injured against Everton. We were poor in that match, lucky to door, poor against Newcastle, and dire yesterday. And on each occasion it's been in the miffle of the park we've really suffered. Something clearly is missing. Petrov hasn't done too badly, neither has Bannan. Bit worrying that we seem to have been relying on Heskey for some muscle before his injury, and without him we lack any kind of grit. Can Jenas change that? I doubt it, but I look forward to seeing what he can offer. Gardner I would love to see what he can do, but even in the situation we were in yesterday he still didn't get on.The lack of any sort of release on the wings is a major worry aswell, was anyone even playing LM yesterday?

The reluctance from McLeish to change it was saddening too. Why persist with the same 'system' throughout the second half when we hadn't mustered a shot on goal in the whole of the first half. It's even worse that this was a cup comp, if he had changed it to, for the sake of argument, some sort of 4-4-2 with Gabby and Burke up top, Marc and Zog on the wings, and Stan and Bannan in the middle then it might not of worked but at least we couldve seem some different attempt at breaking Bolton down. Instead we got absoloutly toss all. I for one am very glad I decided not to buy a ticket for the QPR match - a match I had penciled in as attending as I havent been there before.

Best part of the match for me was a personal return to the North Stand. I hadn't sat in there for about 3 years, and had never sat in the upper before yesterday. I was smack bang in the middle of pitch on the front row. Fantastic stuff. Better view than the front of the Upper Holte, and so much leg room I was able to stretch my legs out and slump down in my chair in dispair for most of the 2nd half :D

Said we would lose, expected it.

I did not expect the manner of the loss though which is worrying for our league survival.

Would be absolutely thrilled and ecstatic with a draw against QPR now

If we performed like this again, i'd be happy with a draw. But in any other circumstances, I don't think I could ever be happy with a draw at QPR!

Who would you say didnt put the effort in?

I thought our worst player (by a distance) was Albrighton, but I wouldnt say that he lacked effort. The only players I'd possibly level that at would be Delfouneso and possibly Hutton.

To be brutally honest, I would only excuse Given (not a lot he could've done), Collins, Bannan and Agbonlahor as far as effort goes - and I thought the latter three still played poorly.

I won't say that there was no effort at all from others, but I don't think you could argue that maximum was given. Ireland looked intermittently interested but when he wasn't, he tip-toed around and didn't, to my mind, put a full shift in. I actually had some sympathy for Delfouneso as, though he was poor, he was stranded completely out of position and the central players continually failed to move the ball out to either flank with any efficiency or accuracy. Again, he could've done more to impose himself though.

But, on the whole, the entire team did not play like a group of players that desperately wanted to stay in this competition. They took their beating lying down - and in the words of Vito Corleone, that I do not forgive.

One more thing about last night...

These are professional players, they don't need Eric Black barking out the exact spot they need to be stood on every 5 seconds. Just let them play ffs!

Didn't Graham Taylor essentially say those very words before England took on the USA in a friendly match shortly before failing to qualify for the World Cup in '94? They were subsequently beaten 2-0.

Players should take more responsibility, but they also need to be led. They are not jazz musicians that can riff with new bandmates on pure instinct - they have been told what to do and where to go the entire length of their careers, and they need instruction and motivation.

completely agree, although also some players just reach a stage where their motivation goes like it seems irelands may have done and poss delfs. some just dont like payng for certain coaches either. but also mcceish is still trying to see which players will fight for him and which wont in a competitive match. he found out more last night about those who might not stand up.

I spent the whole car journey home trying to think of a single positive from the game. I couldnt...

We looked static from the off and that didnt change at all. There was zero movement up front, Gabby's touch was awful. Fonz looked lost out wide and Ireland and Bannan gave the ball away, neither really made an impact. I thought Albrighton was poor, got a coupe of crosses in during the last 10 mins but not of any quality and like the rest of the team didnt show for the ball throughout.

Concerned that a half time bollocking (im assuming one was given out) we started in the same disinterested way we ended the first half. We went a goal down and still no change.

There was a distinct lack of movement up front, I think Gabby thought he was marking Cahill, maybe that was the plan? But it didnt do much for our options and all in all I still cant see where we are going to create enough chances from to win games this season, not with this team and more importantly with this style of play.

we put out basically our strongest side, but it was still one that was perfectly capable of losing to bolton on paper. you look at that starting line up and see a serious lack of quality. we are a far cry from the side that once was. bolton, stoke, sunderland etc have not stepped up to our level...we have just dropped down to theirs. there is one person to blame and this is neither houllier nor mcleish. lack of investment over the last couple of years is taking its toll

Tbh CI, I thought the attendance was atleast par for the course, all things considered.

The Holte was pretty full, though difficult to tell when you're actually sat in it, and some effort was made to create an atmosphere (more effort than on Saturday).

The sad thing is that most of the people sat around me weren't regulars, from what I could tell, and i'd hasten to bet that a lot of them won't be eager to return anytime soon.

This result has been coming and there will be a lot more of them before Christmas. We are in a false position in the league and when we start to loose on a regular basis i cannot see how the manager is going to change it with the players available.

Dreading QPR on Sunday but maybe we'll play above ourselves and get another draw?

This result has been coming and there will be a lot more of them before Christmas. We are in a false position in the league and when we start to loose on a regular basis i cannot see how the manager is going to change it with the players available.

Dreading QPR on Sunday but maybe we'll play above ourselves and get another draw?

Live on Sky, newly promoted side who have hit form, our key players playing with niggling injuries, media looking at any possible negative angle on Villa.

It really doesn't bode well

Living in Devon and not able to get to many matches, I was chuffed with the opportunity of a business meeting in Birmingham yesterday requiring a night over and the chance of seeing the Villa for the first time this season.... my chuffedness was soon dispelled!!!

That was probably the worst performance I have ever seen from a Villa team. No midfield, despite having 5 players designated there, no urgency and worst still no idea of what to do with the ball.

I thought we passed the ball around nicely, amongst the back 5 but we seem to have a mental block when passing the ball forwards or outwide.

Gabby was on his own upfront and didn't get a sniff of the ball for the vast majority of the game and Delfouneso was a waste of time out on the wing but then didn't impose himself later in the game when he went upfront.

I'm supposed to be taking my 5yr old to his first match against Wigan... I don't know whether I can subject him to that now :winkold:

My ratings:

Given: 5. Didn't have too much to do but pick the ball out of the net twice

Hutton: 4. I thought he was a marauding fullback. Poor all round.

Dunne: 6. decent enough performance, let down by the midfield.

Collins: 4. Sooooo many misplaced 'hollywood' passes - frustrating

Warnock: 6. as per Dunne. Delfouneso did nothing to link up with him.

Petrov: 5. Very quiet and didn't take control of midfield or team mates

Bannan: 6. Felt for Bannan, he tried hard IMO but had no assistance around him.

Ireland: 4. Waste.of.space

Delfouneso: 4. as per Ireland.

Albrighton: 5. tried hard, starved of the ball and lost possession for the 1st goal.

Gabby: 5. ploughed a very lonely furrow upfront.

Sub:

N'Zogbia: 5. too little too late to make an impact

AMc: 3. Negative tactics again at home and another manager afraid of making changes. Ireland should've been subbed, along with Delfouneso.

Â