GTA 5

Genie

Bit annoyed with myself that I didn't book the day off cuz by the time I get home tomorrow and done the "family" thing, I reckon I'll have an hour to play which will probably be taken up with the install time lol.

To be fair, you could say that about any game.

if you were expecting a racing sim, fps, rpg game, then you're going to be disappointed aren't you?

If you like free roaming with missions, customisation and a decent narrative, then you're probably going to like GTA.

I don't think it's Rockstars job to change individual peoples opinions, when it's arguably one of the most successful franchises ever made.

I'd be gutted if I bought Fifa and wanted a cricket game...

The argument against it, for a game critique, is a very poor one Pete. 

What you should have expected is an open world game, some humour and an awful lot of throw backs to crime movies, which is, essentially, what GTAs are all about.

I knew what to expect, and I've NEVER actually liked GTA at all. I never claimed to though; I've always made it very clear that it's a series that's never done anything for me. That's why I'll not be reviewing it

Just out of curiosity P3te, what is it you'd like from a GTA game? If the series has never appealed to you then odds are it never will.

For it to be Saints Row 3

• Like 1

Anyone going to any midnight launches?

Think I'll go pick mine up tonight.

I ordered mine through Amazon and unfortunately they don't have any shops or offices here due to mysterious tax reasons...

Pete, if you don't like it and never have... Why did you buy it?

Edited by villaajax

Just out of curiosity P3te, what is it you'd like from a GTA game? If the series has never appealed to you then odds are it never will.

For it to be Saints Row 3

What has Saints Row got that GTA hasn't? :lol:

For me, fun and more focus. I've always found GTA too unfocused really

^ Are you trolling or do you really think that?

All GTA games from GTA 3 have been story driven. It's meant to be played 3 ways - either play the story for the strong narrative, play for mindless fun by causing chaos in the city, or a bit of both when you feel like it.

Unfocused in what sense?

If there ever was a game that was 'unfocused', it would be the Saints Row series. It's a fun series but has no sense of direction at all. Saints Row 1 was just an attempt at being a 'GTA Clone', Saints Row 2 was decent and Saints Row 3 was good. Haven't played the forth but it looks like it's just crazy. No sense of direction.

Edited by Jay.P.A

Not trolling at all, I just don't like the GTA series. They try to do too much and it typically ends up as a choice between doing a series of indentikit fetch missions or running around blowing things up for no good reason. When I say that the games are unfocused, that's what I mean. I've genuinely just never "got" the series. I fail to get any enjoyment from it at all, and they all feel like one incredibly long grind to me. I'm well aware that my opinion is in a massive minority however, so I'd never actually attempt to tell anyone that they're wrong for liking it, or that it's not a good game, because clearly it's me that's wrong in terms of popular opinion. That's why I'm not reviewing GTA V - there's no point, I couldn't possibly do an acceptable job of it.

I'd normally be inclined to put that sort of thing down to me doing this for a living and not really having the time to get into the game, but it's something that long predates my involvement in this profession, right the way back to the original game, so I know it's not that. And I want to like it, I really, really do. As a series it's so unbelievably ambitious that I genuinely feel like I'm missing out on something really special, but no matter how hard I try, I get bored of GTA incredibly quickly, regardless of what flavour  of the game I'm playing (and, that's made even odder by the fact that I've got no problem sinking 50-60 hours into the likes of Skyrim)

I am, however, really looking forward to GTA Online next month

Edited by P3te
  • Like 4

Alright guys, he just doesn't like them, nothing wrong with that.

Any Amazon orderers get it in the post today? They're in hot water with Rockstar due to sending it out early, apparently. My shop to order may or may not be waiting at home...I will find out at ~5.05pm...

Edited by hogso

CVG review. They say it's spoiler free, but it does have gameplay.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLDRxg8sYvE

Some more scores.

Polygon: 9.5

GiantBomb: 5/5
TheSixthAxis: 10/10
Joystiq: 4.5/5
IGN: 10 
Official Xbox 360 Magazine UK: 10/10 
Digital Spy: 5/5 
Xbox360Achievement: 100
Edge: 10
Eurogamer: 9/10

Edited by packoman
  • Like 1

Alright guys, he just doesn't like them, nothing wrong with that.

Any Amazon orderers get it in the post today? They're in hot water with Rockstar due to sending it out early, apparently. My shop to order may or may not be waiting at home...I will find out at ~5.05pm...

Nope and mine was despatched Friday.

gamespot gave 9/10 with the female reviewer moaning its incredibly misogynistic

Link?

Majority of her reviews talk about flaws because of games not being politically correct. I don't know why they let her review GTA for, it makes no sense if she's easily offended.

• Like 2

Â