Mortimer Thinks Petrov is Rubbish (Poll Added)

Kiwivillan

Should Petrov retain the captaincy this season?  

325 members have voted

1. 1. Should Petrov retain the captaincy this season?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 839
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I kind of get the feeling these great recent performances are his way of sticking two fingers up to the club board as I think it was Fuse a few weeks back who said Stan was informed the club wouldn't take up the one year option in his contract and he would be free to leave in the summer.

He doesn't have a one year option. He signed a 4 year contract in 2009 and that contract still has 18 months left to run.

He continues to perform as he has this season and I wouldn't be surprised if he stayed for another year on top of the 18 months remaining on his contract.

One things for sure he will be hard to replace as a player and a leader.

I thought that aswell but apparently it's a 3 year contract and the club have a year's option in their favour (similar to Manure with Berbatov) which they can invoke or not.

Way Stan is playing I think he'll change their minds.

He's a great influence to have in central midfield particularly as that's the area of the team where we have the most young players at the minute.

The stick he's taken over the years has always been unjustified.

Ridiculous that people wanted him out the team so much, especially for a waster like reo coker. :lol::lol:

you start off talking sensible and then let yourself down by a ridiculous throw away comment about a player you don't rate.

There is no one that wanted it to work more than Nigel Reo Coker

He's gone now, so it matters less, but he still has a passion for AVFC, he loves the club.

but you are talking about a player that was gutted when he left us. still lives in the city in a property he owns unlike rented by so many, was generous to a fault with local charities, taking on a box for disabled kids.

He has only ever been totally commited to the cause of AVFC.... The fact that some don't rate him as a footballer, fine.

BUT A WASTER.... your way off the mark John.

Ps I challenge you to go to the players entrance at the next Match and ask Stan Petrov his captain if he was a waster.... post on here what he says.

He's gone now, so it matters less, but he still has a passion for AVFC, he loves the club.

He could have stayed couldn't he? but instead was blinded by and attracted to the bright lights of Madrid, Turin oh and of course........... Bolton.

It was sadly inevitable that having decided to leave Aston Villa he was always going to take a step down and end up at a lesser club. It seems the only person that didn't realise that was Nigel and perhaps his equally delusional agent.

He could have stayed couldn't he? but instead was blinded by and attracted to the bright lights of Madrid, Turin oh and of course........... Bolton.

It was sadly inevitable that having decided to leave Aston Villa he was always going to take a step down and end up at a lesser club. It seems the only person that didn't realise that was Nigel and perhaps his equally delusional agent.

Mark, footballers are like anyone else if the pay you're offered in your opinion is derisory or less than you are getting, you could deem that as being not wanted. you then have adecision to make, sign for less which can be embarassing or go....so he went.

No one has ever said on this site that he is an exceptionally gifted player( however Martin O'Neill must have thought he was, by the fee), but that does not mean he was not committed to the club, he was... and for someone from London that is quite unusual.

I have never tried to alter peoples opinions About Nigel's footballing abilites, but have defending some comments that have drifted in to personal affronts I have known to be wrong.

just because a player is "crap" in a fans mind doesnt mean he is not committed or a "waster".... conversely we had some decent players who could't give a flying **** about Aston Villa, and if the ground burnt down wouldn't give a toss.

Nigel Reo Coker ain't one of them

I'm just trying to put a little perspective in to a speculative arguement.

Ps the funny thing was he nearly went to Sunderland, but opted for Bolton.

Mark, footballers are like anyone else if the pay you're offered in your opinion is derisory or less than you are getting, you could deem that as being not wanted. you then have adecision to make, sign for less which can be embarassing or go....so he went.

A certain amount of realism needs to be seen as well though doesn't it. Reo Coker was brought in when he was on the rise, recent Under 21 Captain and I'd imagine put on 35 - 40k a week. Had he done enough over the 4 years to justify those wages? debatable. He certainly wasn't and hadn't been for some time a guaranteed starter.

I wasn't surprised that he was offered less money. It was to be expected especially given the overall wage reduction we are currently under taking. Is he on more at Bolton? if he is then is the few k a week more worth more than playing for a bigger club. I guess Nigel decided it was.

A certain amount of realism needs to be seen as well though doesn't it. Reo Coker was brought in when he was on the rise, recent Under 21 Captain and I'd imagine put on 35 - 40k a week. Had he done enough over the 4 years to justify those wages? debatable. He certainly wasn't and hadn't been for some time a guaranteed starter.

I wasn't surprised that he was offered less money. It was to be expected especially given the overall wage reduction we are currently under taking. Is he on more at Bolton? if he is then is the few k a week more worth more than playing for a bigger club. I guess Nigel decided it was.

I don't know what he is on presently, but maybe it was hobsons choice.

I can recognise he can't do with a ball what Ireland can.

I just don't think he deserves some of the criticism particularly when you know what feeling he has for the club....and I know that.

Hey its all immaterial now

Ps but i would be equally defensive of Stan Petrov because he is totally comitted to the club too.... He has heart and has the club at heart.

Anyone who comes on this thread today to criticise Petrov is an idiot.

He's been excellent this season, came off against Chelsea and was in no condition to play today.

He was out on his feet and should never have been playing.

Really didn't look fit to play today, especially against a team like Swansea who you have to press hard.

Very much this, but if Swansea can rotate, why can we not? Hardly blessed with depth are they.

Think this is the first day I've actual been very critical of McLeish but he only has his self to blame. Poor decisions.

I'd love Heskey to play against Bristol Rovers! Hope he scores a hat trick and puts himself firmly in the shop window.

But knowing our luck, McLeish would then decide to play him every PL game and give him a new contract if he scored a hat-trick against a League One side.

Anyone who comes on this thread today to criticise Petrov is an idiot.

He's been excellent this season, came off against Chelsea and was in no condition to play today.

He was out on his feet and should never have been playing.

He's almost always out on his feet last quarter of a game, not just when he's supposedly carrying an injury. I'm bored with Petrov, he has to put so much effort in at the beginning of games to make an impression that towards the end of the game he's totally ****. If every player did that we'd have to use all our subs and whoever wasn't subbed would ****, like Petrov. Imagine every player busting their ass like Petrov does only to be **** with 15/20 minutes left, we'd concede 2 or 3 late goals most games.

Petrov has played better this season, I think because of the defensive manner of the performances giving him a bit more insurance, but to be honest he's the most overrated player I've seen at Villa for years. He's been an ok PL CM since nothing better, which is an achievement in itself, but he's nothing special.

Â