Mortimer Thinks Petrov is Rubbish (Poll Added)

Kiwivillan

Should Petrov retain the captaincy this season?  

325 members have voted

1. 1. Should Petrov retain the captaincy this season?

• Yes
    • No

Definitely has a job to do here. Delph, Bannan, Makoun and Gardner are all unproven. Steady Eddy or not Stan gave us some good performances last season and even if it's for 20 minutes shoring up the games later in the season he should stay.

• Replies 839
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I turned to my nine year old nephew at a game last year and said 'Petrov looks like he's carrying something'

He looked back at me and said 'Yes, a **** fridge'

I'd be more worried about a 9 year old using that sort of language.

I think it was born from the frustration of having to watch Petrov huff and puff his way around the pitch like a 60 a day woodbine smoker that did it

I've been accused no another thread of being critical of Petrov for his performance in the Chelsea friendly but he was dregs against Blackburn. Astonishingly some people lauded him. Why? Because we won 1-0. Not 3 or 4-0 because Captain Slow stopped the game from flowing. It's got to the stage where we win 1-0 or even draw 1-1 against a woeful Blackburn with Petrov in the side and people use that as ammunition for how wonderful he is. Drives me nuts.

I've voted yes, but I did at least have to think about it. There is no other candidate that jumps out at me other than maybe Given. But I wouldn't give it to Given because he has only just joined and I don't think it's right to do that. So in the absence of an obvious replacement, Petrov keeps the armband. [insert "11 captains" cliché].

I've been accused no another thread of being critical of Petrov for his performance in the Chelsea friendly but he was dregs against Blackburn. Astonishingly some people lauded him. Why? Because we won 1-0. Not 3 or 4-0 because Captain Slow stopped the game from flowing. It's got to the stage where we win 1-0 or even draw 1-1 against a woeful Blackburn with Petrov in the side and people use that as ammunition for how wonderful he is. Drives me nuts.

People taking friendlies seriously drives me nuts, especially when they are in one of the most humid places on earth and one of the teams has acclimatised for the best part of a month and the other has been there a week.

I've voted yes, but I did at least have to think about it. There is no other candidate that jumps out at me other than maybe Given. But I wouldn't give it to Given because he has only just joined and I don't think it's right to do that. So in the absence of an obvious replacement, Petrov keeps the armband. [insert "11 captains" cliché].

Thats exactly it Bri, there is no other candidate. Being team captain doesn't mean you automatically start every game, team captain is far more a behind the scenes thing these days.

I turned to my nine year old nephew at a game last year and said 'Petrov looks like he's carrying something'

He looked back at me and said 'Yes, a **** fridge'

I'd be more worried about a 9 year old using that sort of language.

Indeed, but I like his sense of humour.

Stiliyan “I’ll Run Faster After I’ve Put This Fridge Down” Petrov. :)

I'm with you.

Take Petrov out of the equation and you have a cast of candidates that ranges from "not suitable" to "not on your nelly!"

People taking friendlies seriously drives me nuts, especially when they are in one of the most humid places on earth and one of the teams has acclimatised for the best part of a month and the other has been there a week.

I'm not basing my opinion of Petrov on 2 friendlies. For me, his performances were par for the course.

I'm not basing my opinion of Petrov on 2 friendlies. For me, his performances were par for the course.

Your point was about those two games

the Petrov bashing needs to Stop

Im sorry but he is shite. He deserves it. Just because hes a model pro and all round nice bloke doesnt mean we should sweep his limitations as a footballer under the carpet. Especially when i see people slagging Makoun off and hes been here 5 minutes. Hes shown enough in that short time that hes better than Petrov, so fair is fair when it comes to 'bashing'

We were at our worst last season when Petrov was out of the team. Once he came back in we picked up, so he can't be as bad as you make out.

Makoun has had one good game since he arrived and that was his debut.

I am a bit disappointed that DM chose to get a cheap shot of publicity by launching a pointless attack on Stan

Yeah, hes obviously making this stuff up so he can get his name in the papers the big publicity whore. Its just jelousy at the end of the day, Mortimer was never as good as Stan is.

:notsure:

Makoun has had one good game since he arrived and that was his debut.

Concidentally, at the end of Petrov's first season, we were all saying exactly the same.

I wish the player who played against West Ham had stayed for the rest of his Villa career.

Thats exactly it Bri, there is no other candidate. Being team captain doesn't mean you automatically start every game, team captain is far more a behind the scenes thing these days.

I voted no but i'll vote yes if it means Petrov can captain the team from behind the scenes only and nothing else

Why do people always feel the need when arguing a case for one player have to slag off others in his position? I hope with Makoun now here NRC vs. Stan doesn't become Jean Deux vs. Stan, because it's boring and extremely predictable. People completely exaggerate their opinions too so as to not weaken their arguments - clearly Stan can tackle and NRC could pass, but neither as well as the other.

Our midfielders all bring something to the side, peace and love man :D

Just can't stand it when people completely write-off players to prove their points.

I agree that there's no obvious candidates, but I reckon Given would be a better shout.

I think Stan has a big part to play, but if the likes of Bannan and Gardner DO make the step up, then I think they have more to offer than Petrov does. For me, the captain should always be the first name on the team sheet, and I'm just not sure Petrov is.

The only 'automatic on the teamsheet' players I would say are Given, N'Zogbia and Bent.

Â