Oslo bombing and Utøya massacre

Tegis

Individually reading out the charges against him, the killing of 77 people included, would take a while.

He cried when they played a propaganda video he'd made. Emotionless when the charges were read out, bordering on bored. Makes sense I guess considering he said he did not recognise the authority of a court put in place by a government that supported multiculturalism.

I thought they found him mentally competent rather than sane? i.e He is incredibly narcissitic but was in control of his actions, rather than being insane and not in control. The other psychiatrist found him insane, though.

He strikes me as a man fully intent on claiming sanity in order to strengthen his message.

I thought they found him mentally competent rather than sane? i.e He is incredibly narcissitic but was in control of his actions, rather than being insane and not in control. The other psychiatrist found him insane, though.

He strikes me as a man fully intent on claiming sanity in order to strengthen his message.

Not sure if I've got this right but:

The first psyche rapport had him as psychotic(in a psychosis"loss of contact with reality") during his action, hence he didn't know what he was doing.

While the second rapport had him down as sane during his action, he knew perfectly well what he was doing, the consequences etc.

As far as I gather the whole focal point of this trial will be whether he'll be judged(wrong word?) as sane or insane.

Also remember reading something in the news that he was against being assessed by shrinks because they would dub him as insane, while he in his own opinion surely was not.

...........................................................................................................

What scares me is the way he looks, acts and speaks. So normal, even a bit posh/dandy. Whenever you see a picture of one of these school shooters or serial killers you go: ah yea, he's a psycho.

While with Breivik, I'd never guess.

minus her obvious sexuality and penchant for bdsm, that said I wouldnt put bdsm past Mike.
Not my thing at all actually. What is her 'obvious sexuality', BTW?

Isn't she a nymphomaniac?
Dent was educated at the Marist Convent in Ascot (yep, nympho). She lives in Oxford with her husband, Paul, and two daughters.In her spare time Susie is a keen runner, likes cookery, dining out, wine, walking and doing crosswords.

What with BOF's suggestion, she sounds like my sort of woman.

minus her obvious sexuality and penchant for bdsm, that said I wouldnt put bdsm past Mike.
Not my thing at all actually. What is her 'obvious sexuality', BTW?

Doesnt matter Mike, I was just being childish and silly. Sometimes its fun.

No I have just quite spectacularly posted in the wrong thread. I saw a discussion about a lady and somehow thought we were still discussing Sabrina the Teenage Witch. Them's the risks of having multiple tabs open. Anyway, continue on with your imaginings now that I've erroneously planted them there :)

This may be irrelevant to the sane/insane debate, but I remember being amazed that the judge would not allow an insanity plea from the Yorkshire Ripper. We ended up with an expensive trial which was clearly designed to expose the gory details, thus titilating the public 'curiosity'.

Finally after a year or two in prison the Ripper was moved to a mental hospital because he was nuts.

What I find anomalous in the Norweigan situation is that, despite his crazy actions, everyone rushes to condemn Breivik's political platform, which, like it or not, is shared by tens of millions of our fellow Europeans. Yet Islam remains critism free, irrespective of its jihadist suicide bomers.

Incidentally, I have many cousins in Norway, as my claret & blue bloodied uncle fought there in WW2 and returned afterwards to marry.

everyone rushes to condemn Breivik's political platform, which, like it or not, is shared by tens of millions of our fellow Europeans. Yet Islam remains critism free, irrespective of its jihadist suicide bomers.
Uh-oh.

This is nonsense. "Tens of millions support Breivik's political platform"??? :shock:

And you believe that Islam remains criticism free? Above and beyond my usual militant atheism I have no quibble with Islam per se at all. I work with several Muslims, fine people all, despite their attachment to their imaginary friend.

But I have no time for psychopathic killers, whatever their pretext.

What I find anomalous in the Norweigan situation is that, despite his crazy actions, everyone rushes to condemn Breivik's political platform, which, like it or not, is shared by tens of millions of our fellow Europeans. Yet Islam remains critism free, irrespective of its jihadist suicide bomers.

Wat?

Have you not noticed the incredibly rough ride that everyday Muslims have had over the past 11 years or something?

Islam is free from criticism? Is it balls. It's as much a sham as any other religion, it's problem is a refusal to look in on itself. Increasing secularisation in the middle-east will change that but for now we are stuck with a very dogmatic, patriarchal syatem that allows for extremists to grow. sounds familiar? It should, because Chrisstianity did much the same thing. So no, Islam isn't free from crticism, there just isn't enough pressure from within to look to change things. What doesn't help is the irrational statments and feelings that get a voicing in public and help create an us v them picture.

Islam is free from criticism? Is it balls. It's as much a sham as any other religion, it's problem is a refusal to look in on itself. Increasing secularisation in the middle-east will change that but for now we are stuck with a very dogmatic, patriarchal syatem that allows for extremists to grow. sounds familiar? It should, because Chrisstianity did much the same thing. So no, Islam isn't free from crticism, there just isn't enough pressure from within to look to change things. What doesn't help is the irrational statments and feelings that get a voicing in public and help create an us v them picture.
Exactly so.

If you asked me to choose between western capitalist democracy and sharia law, I'd choose democracy (for all its many faults) EVERY time. But the point is that - despite what the firebrands on both sides would like us to believe - we in the west do NOT have to make any such choice. Not at the moment, anyway.

People need to talk (read: listen) more and shoot less.

:shock:

So... tens of millions of Europeans agree that the best way to debate multiculturalism is to shoot up an island full of white kids?

Riiiiiight.

Violence in support of or against a collection of fairy stories is abhorrant, be it the Bible, Qu'ran, Torah, Grimm's Fairy Tales, Aesops Fables or the Mr. Men.

He knew what he was doing.... the activity was too well planned, too organised and co-ordinated to be the actions of some nutter with a grudge. He should have no more of platform to speak his hateful views than those who were doing so in Finsbury Park, or Westminster Abbey.

Â