Oslo bombing and Utøya massacre

Tegis

A large explosion has hit near government headquarters in the Norwegian capital Oslo.

At least one person was killed in the city centre blast, national broadcaster NRK reports.

The offices of Norwegian Prime Minister Jens Stoltenberg were damaged extensively but a government spokeswoman said he was safe.

At least eight people were injured, local media said. No-one has said they were behind the explosion.

Television footage from the scene showed rubble and glass from shattered windows in the streets - smoke was around some buildings. The wreckage of at least one car was in street.

All roads into the city centre have been closed, said the NRK, and security officials evacuated people from the area, fearing another blast.

BBC

88-0c8d07aa-785c9200.jpeg

Haven't heard word of it being confirmed as a bombing yet (even the Beeb article there is careful to not say bombing).

Luckily it appears not many have been injured and, if it is a bombing, that is very, very lucky indeed.

EDIT - Now confirmed by Norwegian police, as expected. 2 deaths being reported.

This bomb must have been enormous, or have been an explosive with a big pressure blast. The spread of damage to buildings seems to be over a huge area, there are windows blown out a hell of a way from where the blast seemed to be centred on.

Incredibly lucky there's not more fatalities than have been so far confirmed.

Shooting reported outside on Utöya (outside Oslo I think). A masked policeman opening fire with a hand gun near a youth camp. Not confirmed as related to the bombings yet. Several people reportedly hit, camp attendees trying to flee by swimming from the island. Norwegian equivalent of SWAT on their way.

Damned. This is sick. My thoughts go to the poor victims. I always thought DK would take the first Scandinavian bomb because of our wars, cartoons, NATO-boss etc.

I'm not so sure it is islamist extremists. The dressed-up policeman sounds more like right wing extremists to me. Gut feeling only though.

Damned. This is sick. My thoughts go to the poor victims. I always thought DK would take the first Scandinavian bomb because of our wars, cartoons, NATO-boss etc.

Wasn't there a suicide bomb in Sweden last year?

Â