Oslo bombing and Utøya massacre

Tegis

I've looked trough some quotes from his so called manifest and it is obvious that he was inspired by Timothy McVeigh of the Oklahoma bombings. He even mentions him in a passage regarding to some issues with the bomb making. A complete narcissist with some massive delusions of grandeur. To be honest, I never imagined something of this magnitude would happen in on of the Nordic countries, but now, after the fact, I am very surprised that it didn't happen here in Sweden first. I always thought we had a larger pool of nutters to draw from.

Still quite shocked by this. Such a cold hearted, mentally ill bastard that man.

Such a horrific sequence of events, so many innocents mercilessly butchered, yet there's so little to direct anger at - one deranged individual.

The picture Gringo posted on the previous page is awful.

Q: What tipped the scales for you? ...it was... the attacks on Serbia (NATO bombings in 1999)

The justifiable large scale military operation we've been involved with in recent history.

How many more mass graves would there have been if we hadn't stepped in?

Have a word with your housemate about buying the sun :P

I guess it did go to print then. All the editions round my way had the headline changed.

it was the headline saw yesterday too, I can remember it because I went to buy it but didn't on the basis of that headline

SlyNews"]Police have arrested six more people following an armed raid launched in connection with the Norway twin attacks, Sky sources say.

Officers from the police's counter-terrorism force, known as Delta, swooped on a property in the east of Oslo earlier today.

Sky can reveal that police are trying to access two chemical containers at the address.

Police confirmed the operation but would not give further details or comment whether there were any arrests.

There was internet talk/babble of a second shooter on the island; and the logistics of the operation - from the bomb in oslo to get to the island with a load of ammo and explosives, would appear challenging for an untrained lone operative.

He's saying he was acting alone - so maybe it's a case of round up the usual suspects?

How many more mass graves would there have been if we hadn't stepped in?

Indeed, however I suspect that this gent is less concerned with the existence of mass graves and more concerned by what flavour of the god squad is lining them.

There's definitely a touch of Reinhard Heydrich about him imo.

There was internet talk/babble of a second shooter on the island; and the logistics of the operation - from the bomb in oslo to get to the island with a load of ammo and explosives, would appear challenging for an untrained lone operative.

He's saying he was acting alone - so maybe it's a case of round up the usual suspects?

To be fair there was talk that he actually had some training, I remember there being some talk yesterday he'd had some military experience. Which could explain why he was quite so ruthless with the firearms.

Saying that, lone wolf terrorists are a rarity so if he was aided somehow (planning, logistics even) it wouldn't be surprising.

Doesn't take much skill to fire a rifle and kill someone at point blank range that taxi killer in cumbria did it and killed about a dozen people wouldn't surprise me either if he was assisted at some stage either like raoul moat was

To be fair there was talk that he actually had some training, I remember there being some talk yesterday he'd had some military experience. Which could explain why he was quite so ruthless with the firearms....

There was indeed, but I thought (that I read somewhere that) the norwegian authorities said that he had been exempted from national service. (though can't find any links due to internet being full of repeat reports)

Doesn't take much skill to fire a rifle and kill someone at point blank range...........
But to go round shooting 80 odd takes a little bit of skill and a lot of mental preparation.

To be fair there was talk that he actually had some training, I remember there being some talk yesterday he'd had some military experience. Which could explain why he was quite so ruthless with the firearms....

There was indeed, but I thought (that I read somewhere that) the norwegian authorities said that he had been exempted from national service. (though can't find any links due to internet being full of repeat reports)

Doesn't take much skill to fire a rifle and kill someone at point blank range...........
But to go round shooting 80 odd takes a little bit of skill and a lot of mental preparation.

He mentions that he 'evaded' the mandatory military service because he felt he would do more good fighting his government rather than fighting for it.

Also, reports say that witnesses claim that there were indeed two shooters. The shooter himself claims he was alone in both planning and execution. Other witnesses say that he stripped himself of the police uniform which could be one cause for confusion in regards to the number of gunmen at Utöya.

So this guy could be out in 21 years?

He could be out long before that, if paroled.

Norways maximum sentence is 21 years - you cannot be sentenced to a longer incarceration. However, if you are given a specific type of sentence, which is handed out rarely, you can theoretically be held longer if when you become eligible for parole you remain a threat to society. In that event, you are given further years but with the caveat that at any time under that term you prove yourself safe to society you can be paroled.

I suspect this fella may earn himself that special sentence.

I hadn't heard that, interesting. He is also alleged to be a keen hunter so that would also account for his ability with a firearm. As for the mental state to actually do it, seems he was planning this for quite some time, and looking into his lawyer's comments he seems to have basically convinced himself of the 'necessity' of doing what he did, whilst also describing it as a 'gruesome' task.

Also interesting to hear that his 1500 page manifesto apparently contains rather a lot of stuff ripped off from the Unabomber's manifesto.

I did wonder earlier in the thread just how much explosive he had used in the bomb - it turns out he made and used rather a lot of a very, very powerful explosive (and terrorist favourite) called ANFO, used commercially in quarrying.

So this guy could be out in 21 years?

He could be out long before that, if paroled.

Norways maximum sentence is 21 years - you cannot be sentenced to a longer incarceration. However, if you are given a specific type of sentence, which is handed out rarely, you can theoretically be held longer if when you become eligible for parole you remain a threat to society. In that event, you are given further years but with the caveat that at any time under that term you prove yourself safe to society you can be paroled.

I suspect this fella may earn himself that special sentence.

Ah okay, thank you. Should be put away for the rest of his life hopefully.

Ive tried not to think about this incident too much this weekend as its just so so horrible. Now more reports are coming in, the way he did it and who he targeted just makes you feel sick to your stomach. Truly horrific. My thoughts go out to all the families and victims involved.

Religion.

Sigh.

Nope.

Norwegian's manifesto shows Breivik not religious, having no personal faith

WASHINGTON – A review of Anders Behring Breivik's 1,500-page manifesto shows the media's quick characterization of the Norwegian terrorist as a "Christian" may be as incorrect as it was to call Oklahoma City bomber Timothy McVeigh one.

Breivik was arrested over the weekend, charged with a pair of brutal attacks in and near Oslo, Norway, including a bombing in the capital city that killed 7 and a shooting spree at a youth political retreat on the island of Utoya that killed more than 80 victims.

Piecing together Breivik's various posts on the Internet, many media reports have characterized the terrorist – who says he was upset over the multiculturalist policies stemming from Norway's Labour Party – as a "right-wing, Christian fundamentalist."

Yet, while McVeigh rejected God altogether, Breivik writes in his manifesto that he is not religious, has doubts about God's existence, does not pray, but does assert the primacy of Europe's "Christian culture" as well as his own pagan Nordic culture.

Breivik instead hails Charles Darwin, whose evolutionary theories stand in contrast to the claims of the Bible, and affirms: "As for the Church and science, it is essential that science takes an undisputed precedence over biblical teachings. Europe has always been the cradle of science, and it must always continue to be that way. Regarding my personal relationship with God, I guess I'm not an excessively religious man. I am first and foremost a man of logic. However, I am a supporter of a monocultural Christian Europe."

Link

Â