Photography?

trimandson

Those were from Saturday by the way, which one do you prefer? :)

I've been pondering that few a good few minutes since you asked the question.

I definitely prefer the composition of the landscape shot but lean towards the portrait shot for the exposure, especially of the couple.

I definitely prefer the composition of the landscape shot but lean towards the portrait shot for the exposure, especially of the couple.

What he said :nod:

Exactly. If there is a correct answer then that is it ;) Give em choice.

I am no critic. I am poor with a camera. But i just feel that the subject matter is whats important in the pic of bride and groom, they are the focus, the very reason for the shot, and they simply seem far too small, dwarfed by the compostion. i can see what you were trying to do, but I didnt think it worked very well.

I think I would have tried to get in a little closer, and simply used the hedge and gate post as the natural borders of the shot.

But what do I know?

But what do I know?

Absolutely nothing about contemporary wedding photography obviously :mrgreen:

A friend of my daughters sister is getting married and the dreaded words wedding and photography were mentioned in the form of a question at the weekend

Fortunately its two years away and they want a reportage style set of photo's :roll:

i just feel that the subject matter is whats important in the pic of bride and groom, they are the focus, the very reason for the shot, and they simply seem far too small, dwarfed by the compostion.

I think I would have tried to get in a little closer, and simply used the hedge and gate post as the natural borders of the shot.

must admit I'm the same , but having seen your reply , i now know that these photo's weren't the only ones .. must confess when i take some of my snaps i take a long view and a close up and more detailed shot ..it's usually the long shot that I delete ..all about personal preference i guess

but nothing wrong with either shot , I like the top one more of the two

If Bickster drops me a pm I'm sure I can show him that I have gone closer in, and framed in other images just as you guys are talking about ;) Shame I can't really show you yet.

I've shot weddings for over 10 years, what you guys are saying is correct. The Bride and Groom are the focus (no pun intended) of a wedding photographer's output. However context and emotion is also important. There are only so many close ups a couple will ever want to see.

I'll give you an example of context/emotion:

ceremony.jpg

Again, what do I know, your the photographer, and I am just a snapper. But I think the b/w image above, makes the church too much like a scene from Franz Kafka's "The Trial" and not enough like a happy event. The texture of the stone imho down the right hand side and the indestinguishability of the bridein the blinding back light makes it look too sombre. People, whilst being quiet and serious in church, are in a joyous awe of the religious spectable, even non believers, and striking a balance of piety and concentration with pride is quite hard.

However, despite being such an "important person" - the wedding photographer has such constraints placed on him, that getting a few decent shots must be really hard. Everones so "staged" and "self consious" of the camera, and you must have real difficulty getting into a good position, that even 1 really good shot is an achievement. Notwithstanding the bride and groom are looking for "snaps" of the big day rather than any grand or sweeping artistic shots.

High jinks and jolly japes. I feel the story behind the picture can really be what makes an image shine or not.

This was clearly taken on a lads weekend away, and highlights perfectly what happens if you leave the room without locking your toothbrush up securely.

glastenberry050eg9.th.jpg

The photographer could have done a little more with the angle of the toothbrush that is clenched between the buttocks i think, and im not sure what the theory behind a switched off TV in the background composition is, i guess its some kind of post modern comment on how technology can in no way be as entertaining as human company.

Exactly. If there is a correct answer then that is it ;) Give em choice.

Well, to go against the flow here, I prefer the landscape shot both for composition and exposure. I think the exposure does a lot more for the background, and makes it deeper, earthier, more mysterious. It makes the picture more interesting, taken as a whole.

The portrait says "couple standing in a driveway". The landscape places them in a context where they are somehow less important in what's going on. I think that's because there's more contrast in the tones of the driveway, the hedges, so they are made more prominent.

I can see that the wedding couple would prefer the picture which emphasises them rather than the setting, but just as a picture, I would go for the landscape every time.

If you didn't know the couple and you were going to hang one of these on your wall, which would it be?

Thats the weird thing Al, the dust marks on the sensor before I cleaned it were in the top half of the frame, now they are bigger and down the bottom. Should have just given you the goddam camera without cleaning it :(

Like the photos though :nod: I have some remarkably similar ones to the bottom two (hardy a shock that though)

And my bloody ribs are in agony again today, that shot I lay down for wasn't even that good either :evil:

Oh and I'll look for that Blackpool tower pic in a bit and post it up

What is it with people and arty shots on here :-)

The D70 is a good camera and like the shots I get with my EOS , you kind of feel that it's hard to actually take a bad photo , such is the quality of these cameras ....

Then it comes down to trying to get something different I guess .. I like my shots to show content but then sometimes they can just look a bit bland .. My B-17 shot earlier in this thread , i really like , but it sort of lacks some Wow factor , maybe because i got so close and it needs some cloud to break it up or give the effect of movement

a building is just a building at the end of the day ..so what you and Bick's have done in your shots does give it a nice slant and make it interesting ..

It started as bit of a joke , but I take my sons stuffed toy with me on my travels and try and get a photo of it in front of a landmark ...just gives the whole thing a bit more interest ...you'll see what i mean here ...

manky rabbit

Â