Photography?

trimandson

Merry Christmas

10276-262889855.jpg?1387007342

Bit miffed with this one. It was published in the Sunday Mercury this week to promote the girl singing in Centenary square on New Years Eve. They never asked my permission to use the image or credited me, just stole it off facebook! I guess thats what happens when you release your images into the public domain!

Edited by bromsgrove_avfc

1465186_512827355505054_1390223679_n.jpg

I'm not sure that it's anything more than a "standard" photo given the surroundings but I love it. Yes, that's me (which means I never took it) and i trust that the lovely lady who took the pic a few years ago did OK. 

Edited by trekka
  • Like 3

I'm not sure that it's anything more than a "standard" photo given the surroundings but I love it. Yes, that's me (which means I never took it) and i trust that the lovely lady who took the pic a few years ago did OK. 

Where was it taken? That looks like a glacial lake, so i'm going to punt on Canada.

Where was it taken? That looks like a glacial lake, so i'm going to punt on Canada.

It's good but it's not right.  Just north of Huaraz, Peru. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Any tips on astrophotography? I tried the other week and holy cock, they turned out to be a pile of ..er.. cock. ISO whacked up to its highest (around 3000?), large aperture, low shutter speed, you name it. Turned out (understandably) blurry as hell.

Exhibit A.

2u5dwle.jpg

Exhibit B.

20sg3es.jpg

Turned out to be rather difficult!

Edited by CarewsEyebrowDesigner

• 2 weeks later...

Any tips on astrophotography? I tried the other week and holy cock, they turned out to be a pile of ..er.. cock. ISO whacked up to its highest (around 3000?), large aperture, low shutter speed, you name it. Turned out (understandably) blurry as hell.

Turned out to be rather difficult!

I have done a few but it is difficult. Can't say that I ever got it right. I would read up on it if I were you .. plenty of videos and tips on the net.

First of all you need a tripod and shoot on manual. You don't really need a small aperture. On a wide lens 2.8 might be sufficient if you get focus just right. That will let you keep the ISO within a reasonable level.

Long shutter speeds will give you star trails, but shooting at like 30 seconds will only give you short trails and it looks bad most of the time IMO, so a relativly short shutter speed (maybe up to 6-8 seconds at a guess) might be better depending on what you want and what you are shooting, or if you have lots of patience and know how to calculate decent exposures go for a really long one.

Perhaps most important though is that city lights will outshine the stars and light up clouds, fog or whatever is in the air around you, so it's better to get out of the city to test it first. You could use graded ND filters to even out the exposure or even mix a few in post, but that's when it becomes complicated.

Not what you were trying but I was pretty happy with this one at the time. Shot with a cheap 70-300mm sigma, and edited the shit out of it to get the contrast on the moon right. 

DSC_0537.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Be5iILwIMAAFsP9.jpg

courtesy of @vemsteroo and retwee'd by @brumpic

I don't think it was taken this morning!

That is a brilliant shot. I don't spend as much time in Brum as I'd like to nowadays and I haven't been the Bull Ring in years. Must return soon. 

Edited by trekka

• 1 month later...

13411866014_fc3d937113_c.jpg

oldest grave found today......1730

funkiest grave found today......

13412138724_2211376577_c.jpg

1837 would ordinarily be too new to be considered for my weird collection of grave photos - but wrought iron! never seen that before

and for 1837 that's a very art deco winged medusa head

given the obvious symbolism of gravestones, what on earth would the story of Medusa signify back in 1837?

Edited by chrisp65

Â