Photography?

trimandson

I've just ordered the Canon 70-300mm IS USM lens for my 650D. That now takes my total up to three lenses. I've already got the Canon 50mm (f1.4) and Canon 18-135 STM lens too.

Now, I think that should give me plenty of options. Are there any other lenses you would recommend though?

74913.jpg

A couple from my recent shoots.

The lighting on this one is absolutely brilliant.  It's as good a photo of a model as I've ever seen in any magazine.  Bastard.

• Like 1

Curse you and your immense photography skillz.

Can anyone recommend an DSLR that also does good quality video for an amateur?

Go with one of the entry level Canon DSLR's like the 550D, 600D, 650D or 700D. The first three run Magic Lantern too, which is very good for video. Plus I'm sure it will come to the 700D.

I've managed to get some great footage on my 650D.

• Like 1

There always seems to be a few questions that separate the people interested in Photography

• Should you use your DSLR to record video
  • Should you use PhotoShop to radically alter the shots you have taken
  • Nikon vs Canon (that one is easy Nikon always :-) )

Personally I like Nikon, but I've come to the conclusion that since the brands are usually very similar the best thing to do is to get whatever brand your mates have. That way you can exchange lenses and other gadgets.

Photoshop is a digital darkroom. No one has ever had ethical problems with darkroom techniques as far as I know. And many artists embraced the darkroom's limitations and developed new creative ways to alter the images and was forever remember as being a piece of photographic art history. The only way I can make sense of that being a valid argument is that PS is too powerful and/or too easy.  But it also goes hand in hand with the explosion in use of the photographic medium. Aside from in photojournalism, editing something in a radical way is rarly seen as controversial. Rather it's the norm at this point, and the way to stand out is to take beautiful images that don't appear to be edited.

I love the rangefinder-look and the documentary style from the 1920s and onwards, but in a commercial world it doesn't make sense to stick to old methods. However, using that style to photograph weddings, events and such works great.

Differnt sort of sky last night, but nice none the less. Still too bright at night to do a really long expose though. I don't have any filters so I could only manage around 20 seconds on ISO 50

DSC_5104s-1024x682.jpg

Edited by tarjei

I'm eyeing up a Fuji X100s... for travel. So to justify the grand, i'm gonna make up some of the money selling my beloved current travel set up...

So if anybody wants a Nikon D3100, Nikon 35 1.8 and Sigma 105 2.8 Macro (Bought not for travel but for the macro craic) then drop me a message. It's all mint, boxed (except the sigma) and very well looked after.

Quickly before my whim changes and I keep it all :)

I'd be very interested in the macro as I don't have one in my list of lenses, so ping me a PM as to how much you want for it.  Unless you want to sell them as a package in which case I don't need the other two items.  You'll love the X100S by the way.  I've got an X-E1, and Fujifilm really do make some cracking compact cameras.  The image quality on them all is just sensational, and the retro styling is nice too.

Update, the sigma is sold pending payment :)

Realised I have  a  Kenko 1.4x Teleplus Pro 300 (N-AFd) I have never used, i'd let that go at 90

Edited by b23avfc

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Any suggestions for where to hawk some old kit? Been asked by a friend to see if I can get a decent price for a mint original Nikon F with a tonne of accessories, lenses and other bits and bobs. He needs a fair price but don't really want to do down the ebay route.

Any suggestions for where to hawk some old kit? Been asked by a friend to see if I can get a decent price for a mint original Nikon F with a tonne of accessories, lenses and other bits and bobs. He needs a fair price but don't really want to do down the ebay route.

If it really ia a mint Nikon F then Grays of Westminster are the people you want to deal with.

I've sold quite a bit of gear through them and always found them fair with their grading and price, though you'd obviously get more through a private sale, they will probably give you the best second hand through a dealer price

Â