Photography?

trimandson

Doesn't focusing become a major issue with wide aperture/fast moving subject?

There's always a trade off. It lets in more light allowing a faster shutter and it gives a small depth of field which I think looks much better most of the time, but if your focus is off it will not look good.. that just means you are doing it wrong in my opinion. It shouldn't be a problem if you know how to focus properly. I always select focus points manually and that works well for me.

Here's some shots I did at a rugby game. I had a 300mm f2.8 on a D7000, and pretty much every shot is between f2.8-3.2. You have to select the focus though. Like decide who to focus on or whether to focus on a face, the ball or something else. I.e. if you look at pic 8, the center players are in focus, but the ball and the guy coming in from the side are a bit blurry. In that case it would have been better to have them all sharp, but that might have resulted in camera shake.

Cool images. I've never done sports on that scale, that looks pretty good. The D7000 is a sweet little camera too!!

It's was part of 3 weeks stint at a Cape Town newspaper.  Sports is not really my thing, but it was fun to try. I've got the d800 now :) The 300mm was a loan though. Wouldn't mind having something like that someday, just need an assistant to carry it around!!

ValueBasket have sent me an email today asking me to confirm delivery of a lens I ordered 10 days ago (they had 5 in stock when I ordered it).  Yet, when I check their website, it hasn't even been sent out yet.  I had hoped to get this lens before I head out to France next Friday, which allowed 17 days for delivery, as they offer 3-5 day dispatch.  I'm not hopeful of getting this lens before the off next week now.

Just in case anyone is thinking of using them...

Very crisp, nice shot. I don't like the filtery look of the sky though. There is a greenish or cyan mix in there. Maybe it's just me being tired of all the instragram images.

• Like 1

Chaps - slightly O/T here but camera bags

Now I have a "good 'un" but it's quite big (ooooo errrrrrr misssssus) that I can basically keep a lot of my lenses etc in. Trouble is for days out I don't want to hump that thing around all of the time.

What does everyone use for day to day use etc?

A couple from my recent shoots.

Are you using a softbox? Which one if so?

They are both lit with virtually the same set up. They are all Elinchrom brand.

The top shot has an Octabox high, in front of the model at 45 degrees. Then strip boxes behind the model, either side for the rim light.

The second shot is the same except only one strip box used to the rear.

Chaps - slightly O/T here but camera bags

Now I have a "good 'un" but it's quite big (ooooo errrrrrr misssssus) that I can basically keep a lot of my lenses etc in. Trouble is for days out I don't want to hump that thing around all of the time.

What does everyone use for day to day use etc?

I had a bit of an addiction for camera bags that drove my wife mad as I couldn't find the perfect one. However I have settled with this one for the last 6 months and it's been brilliant!

That one looks good. A bit expensive though!

The top shot has an Octabox high, in front of the model at 45 degrees. Then strip boxes behind the model, either side for the rim light.

Thanks for that. Are you using speedlights?

I've been pondering what to get. I'll either go for a portable set with rechargeable batteries with a few light modifiers, or I'll go for the cheaper option of just getting a few softboxes that are compatible with speedlights.

That one looks good. A bit expensive though!

Thanks for that. Are you using speedlights?

I've been pondering what to get. I'll either go for a portable set with rechargeable batteries with a few light modifiers, or I'll go for the cheaper option of just getting a few softboxes that are compatible with speedlights.

No they were shot with studio flashes. I've just bought myself a SB700 speedlight to have a play with some location shoots though. I want to have a go at overpowering the sun and getting some moody sky images? I'd love to get a set of these badboys though!

That's similar to a kit we used for location shoots at uni. It was Elinchrome, but ours were cheaper than that. Very handy to have. Quick to set up and for me it was very reliable.

So, I just ordered the Gildecam HD 4000 with the Manfrotto M577 quick release plate. Freaking expensive, but I'm itching to try it and get some practice on it before I try it out in the few weddings I have coming up. Went for the 4000 over the 2000 as I figure with a mic and plate and my current setup I'll come close to the 6 pounds limit of the HD2000, so I might as well get the heavier one in case I'll ever need to add to that setup.

And for something completely unrelated.. here's something I finished last night from a series of artworks I have been doing on and off for the last few years. It's basically many exposures interwoven and layered on top of each other.

DSC_0251sweb.jpg

Â