Photography?

trimandson

And Tarjei, i feel i should link your blog for people to check out!

http://lovelea-ves.tumblr.com

Private viewing only i'm afraid 8pints.

I was about to ask why you went to see them and so many times... then I realised. Go ahead

Some superb photos on that blog, going to have a proper look through that when I get home tonight.

How would you correct that, Damian? By the way, do you mean next to the doors only, or overall? I've already adjusted the white balance slightly, but it's one of those things that I never feel sure about. I tend to struggle with indoor lighting. If I adjust after my eyes, the colors usually turns a bit strange in darker parts, or if I successfully remove all yellow it takes away the natural feel of it. I did a total of 12 like these, but the others were more difficult with dark wood(like) floors and mixed incandescent- and daylight, with a slight tint on the wall too. Absolute nightmare of mixed signals for my camera.

Thanks for reminding me I have a blog :lol:  Haven't logged in for a while and just realized tumblr must have changed something cos it was a bit messed up.

Sounds like you know what you're doing! So it's probably the intensity of the yellow that's causing the problem. I would have only tried spot white balance on each image from an identical point. Or playing with the hue on the relevant channel, desaturating the yellow tinged areas maybe.. but they'd just be experiments. I think it looks sweet. It's only a touch on some of the walls near the yellow objects. 

Got my new frame for my gopro today, and some new product photography gear... so it's only right I have a little test with the two. Few more things I'll do going forward and that I already do on commercial jobs but that's all in hand. 

1043894_10151709830580041_1906883655_n.j

Edited by b23avfc

What sort of stuff do you use it for?

I was thinking it would be sweet to have a gopro during a wedding for some creative fun. I wanna get more into filming, and would like to add more film clips to my wedding slidevideos. I've had my eye on one of these

hd2000.jpg

It's a bit expensive though, and I don't know how well it will work with my current setup (14-24mm on FX body). I don't have any lenses with VR/IS and I'm not sure how well a regular lens would work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJ4WsRolZ4E

What sort of stuff do you use it for?

I was thinking it would be sweet to have a gopro during a wedding for some creative fun. I wanna get more into filming, and would like to add more film clips to my wedding slidevideos. I've had my eye on one of these

hd2000.jpg

It's a bit expensive though, and I don't know how well it will work with my current setup (14-24mm on FX body). I don't have any lenses with VR/IS and I'm not sure how well a regular lens would work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJ4WsRolZ4E

That thing is sweet. The videos are just so much better with the right grip!

You have the Nikon 14-24 then?? Nice! Tried it on a d3 once, lovely. I use 24 1.4 on fx, I do have a 14 2.8 too which I use on construction site shoots more than the 24 1.4 (though I love the 24 immensely) . I"m all primes now. If I wasn't then the 14-24 would be the one for me!!!

I got the gopro after seeing a bride (online) use one in her wedding bouquet.. and my mind starting racing. I haven't done anything wedding related with it yet. Just a lot of random junk, travels etc. All on my youtube.com/dlo247 , which is a mix of iPhone and gopro vids, oh and screen records now :S

Edited by b23avfc

Yeah, I got it recently so I could do the above project. The job pays enough to cover the cost, and I'm also selling them 12 large framed images so I'll make enough to invest a little bit more in gear.

I'm still getting used to it. I've noticed that for indoors any sort of slack in taking the shot, like a slightly uneven horizon or not perfectly aligned to the facing wall, will massivly mess up the lines in the image. When I get is right though it's excellent. It also seems to be great for filming, with wide aperture and reasonable distortion around 18-20mm

I prefer primes too. I had the 24mm 1.4 but I ended up selling it as I wasn't using it enough to justify. Now that I'm doing weddings though, I kinda wish that I hadn't. Looking at pics on your site, I recognize the 24mm wide aperture look. I think it's something that people associate with high quality wedding pics :)

I think I'm gonna get a gopro. It has so much potential for creative fun. Maybe I posted this a year ago but this is a great idea (featuring scantily dressed woman):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ea3RAkGqYC8

• Like 1

Yeah, I got it recently so I could do the above project. The job pays enough to cover the cost, and I'm also selling them 12 large framed images so I'll make enough to invest a little bit more in gear.

I'm still getting used to it. I've noticed that for indoors any sort of slack in taking the shot, like a slightly uneven horizon or not perfectly aligned to the facing wall, will massivly mess up the lines in the image. When I get is right though it's excellent. It also seems to be great for filming, with wide aperture and reasonable distortion around 18-20mm

I prefer primes too. I had the 24mm 1.4 but I ended up selling it as I wasn't using it enough to justify. Now that I'm doing weddings though, I kinda wish that I hadn't. Looking at pics on your site, I recognize the 24mm wide aperture look. I think it's something that people associate with high quality wedding pics :)

I think I'm gonna get a gopro. It has so much potential for creative fun. Maybe I posted this a year ago but this is a great idea (featuring scantily dressed woman):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ea3RAkGqYC8

I've had a few lenses over the years that I've sworn i'd never let go.. the 70-200 VR blew me away but eventually proved too big for my tastes. The 24 1.4 is still bigger than i'd like but that comes with the territory. I'm glad you noticed the look!! That's really cool! :) I haven't updated with new posts in a long while, mainly because most of my jobs have been private, for companies and people that annoying don't want to be blogged. Grr. But hey.. 

The price of the gopro's has come down a bit, at least in the mint second hand market. And if you go to the states... 

Mine just get's used on random stuff like this, not as epic as most gopro users but I'm getting there!

Edited by b23avfc

For anybody interested in putting a watermark on their images using photoshop, it's pretty simple but you can create a brush from any image file. So you can make your logo, or hire a professional graphic designer if you have the budget/business that merits it, and then:

Open image file in photoshop

Select all or the part you want to use

Go to Edit, Define Brush Preset

And there it is. You can adjust the size and what not.

I made a video about it, there are loads on youtube though and probably better but hey:

wahey a Trip ! nice.

I've still got my old OM10

Does anybody use photo hosting sites? I've previously used Flickr, but it's had a makeover and I just don't find it as good or as accessible anymore.

So my new d3200 has barely been out of the box since I got it and my intentions of learning the rudiments of photography have been restricted by a distinct lack of free time. So I'm looking for quick tips on getting the best out of my new camera at Silverstone next week. Any tips on trying to snap something travelling at stupid speeds? Obviously fast shutter speed is a must but can I just rely on the cameras automatic settings for sports or will I need to be smarter than that?

Shutter priority should work fine, I guess. You'll learn more from going manual, so try it out atleast and see if you can get a better result. I trust myself over the camera's auto functions so what I do if the light is consistent is I try to find the optimal manual setting where I get a good exposure and the shutter goes fast enough to freeze whatever I'm shooting. Then I stick with that until the light changes. Between 1/500th and 1/1000th is usually fine for sports. I often go lower, but I'm fairly comfortable with my technique. What are you watching? If it's cars and such maybe try out some panning. It requires a bit of practice but you can get some nice shots that way.

Anyways, it normally means selecting the widest aperture and a relatively high iso. So if your target is 1/1000th, just set it at that and use your other settings to find the sweet spot. I don't know how the d3200 handles high iso though.

Also, maybe set it to continuous so that you can snap many pics with one click. It's not always helpful..  I guess it depends on how quick the camera is.

• Like 1

wahey a Trip ! nice.

I've still got my old OM10

Does anybody use photo hosting sites? I've previously used Flickr, but it's had a makeover and I just don't find it as good or as accessible anymore.

Ye it's a fun little camera. I had to delete that image as I noticed it wasn't quite ready.

So my new d3200 has barely been out of the box since I got it and my intentions of learning the rudiments of photography have been restricted by a distinct lack of free time. So I'm looking for quick tips on getting the best out of my new camera at Silverstone next week. Any tips on trying to snap something travelling at stupid speeds? Obviously fast shutter speed is a must but can I just rely on the cameras automatic settings for sports or will I need to be smarter than that?

I appreciate he may not be everyone's favourite, but do a little Google search on Ken Rockwell and his pages on the various Nikon's. There should be enough pointers to get you going at least. Plus why not do some practice shots with things like cars travelling down the road or birds flying etc

Shutter priority should work fine, I guess. You'll learn more from going manual, so try it out atleast and see if you can get a better result. I trust myself over the camera's auto functions so what I do if the light is consistent is I try to find the optimal manual setting where I get a good exposure and the shutter goes fast enough to freeze whatever I'm shooting. Then I stick with that until the light changes. Between 1/500th and 1/1000th is usually fine for sports. I often go lower, but I'm fairly comfortable with my technique. What are you watching? If it's cars and such maybe try out some panning. It requires a bit of practice but you can get some nice shots that way.

Anyways, it normally means selecting the widest aperture and a relatively high iso. So if your target is 1/1000th, just set it at that and use your other settings to find the sweet spot. I don't know how the d3200 handles high iso though.

Also, maybe set it to continuous so that you can snap many pics with one click. It's not always helpful..  I guess it depends on how quick the camera is.

Doesn't focusing become a major issue with wide aperture/fast moving subject?

I appreciate he may not be everyone's favourite, but do a little Google search on Ken Rockwell and his pages on the various Nikon's.

I just did that, and was delighted that he boosted my post-purchase rationalisation...

The Best Camera for Everything

D3S_8285-0460.jpg

The Nikon D3100 and included 18-55mm VR.

What camera do I suggest for my friends and family when they ask? What's the best camera that can handle every kind of photo situation, but still at a reasonable price?

The Nikon D3100.

The Nikon D3100 is essentially the same as the newer Nikon D3200, and sells for only $477 with lens as shown, or refurbished for only $349 with lens as shown, or $497 brand-new with 18-55mm and 55-200mm (non-VR) lenses. (VR, Vibration Reduction, helps replace a tripod in low light.)

You can pay more for fancier cameras, but no camera takes better pictures than a D3100. It sold for $700 when first announced. The reason guys like me pay more for fancier cameras isn't for better pictures; it's for more controls and options that let those few people who actually know how to use all the controls to get to them faster. The D3100 has all the same adjustments, just that you'll more often have to use a menu instead of a knob in the D3100 if you use them. If you shoot all day every day as I do, it's worth it, otherwise, there's no reason to pay more.

The D3100 is far superior to any mirrorless, superzoom or compact camera because it's a real DSLR, meaning you view and the camera focuses live directly through the lens optically, not via an electronic screen. The D3100 focuses fast enough to catch people and kids doing anything in any light, while other kinds of cameras get lost hunting.

Sure, you can buy fancier DSLRs, but you don't need to unless you want to. The D3100 is the most basic DSLR sold today, and is all I'd ever need. The extra pixels of the newer D3200 or other cameras are meaningless. Sure, feel free to pay more as I'll expand below, but you're only buying more durability or convenience, not better pictures. Better pictures come from knowing how to take better pictures, not from a better camera.

Doesn't focusing become a major issue with wide aperture/fast moving subject?

There's always a trade off. It lets in more light allowing a faster shutter and it gives a small depth of field which I think looks much better most of the time, but if your focus is off it will not look good.. that just means you are doing it wrong in my opinion. It shouldn't be a problem if you know how to focus properly. I always select focus points manually and that works well for me.

Here's some shots I did at a rugby game. I had a 300mm f2.8 on a D7000, and pretty much every shot is between f2.8-3.2. You have to select the focus though. Like decide who to focus on or whether to focus on a face, the ball or something else. I.e. if you look at pic 8, the center players are in focus, but the ball and the guy coming in from the side are a bit blurry. In that case it would have been better to have them all sharp, but that might have resulted in camera shake.

Edited by tarjei
  • Like 1

I appreciate he may not be everyone's favourite, but do a little Google search on Ken Rockwell and his pages on the various Nikon's.

I just did that, and was delighted that he boosted my post-purchase rationalisation...

The Best Camera for Everything

D3S_8285-0460.jpg

The Nikon D3100 and included 18-55mm VR.

What camera do I suggest for my friends and family when they ask? What's the best camera that can handle every kind of photo situation, but still at a reasonable price?

The Nikon D3100.

The Nikon D3100 is essentially the same as the newer Nikon D3200, and sells for only $477 with lens as shown, or refurbished for only $349 with lens as shown, or $497 brand-new with 18-55mm and 55-200mm (non-VR) lenses. (VR, Vibration Reduction, helps replace a tripod in low light.)

You can pay more for fancier cameras, but no camera takes better pictures than a D3100. It sold for $700 when first announced. The reason guys like me pay more for fancier cameras isn't for better pictures; it's for more controls and options that let those few people who actually know how to use all the controls to get to them faster. The D3100 has all the same adjustments, just that you'll more often have to use a menu instead of a knob in the D3100 if you use them. If you shoot all day every day as I do, it's worth it, otherwise, there's no reason to pay more.

The D3100 is far superior to any mirrorless, superzoom or compact camera because it's a real DSLR, meaning you view and the camera focuses live directly through the lens optically, not via an electronic screen. The D3100 focuses fast enough to catch people and kids doing anything in any light, while other kinds of cameras get lost hunting.

Sure, you can buy fancier DSLRs, but you don't need to unless you want to. The D3100 is the most basic DSLR sold today, and is all I'd ever need. The extra pixels of the newer D3200 or other cameras are meaningless. Sure, feel free to pay more as I'll expand below, but you're only buying more durability or convenience, not better pictures. Better pictures come from knowing how to take better pictures, not from a better camera.

Forget Rockwell. I say get this camera. I have one  :)

Edited by b23avfc

Â