Brad Guzan

R.Bear

It's no good being a wonder keeper one week and flapping the next, the best keepers are consistently steady. That tends to come with age so I would and do fully back a policy of signing cheap experienced keepers regularly over more expensive younger keepers. If you can find a reliable keeper at 24 for a reasonable price great, but it's unlikely.

He didn't have a chance with the first goal, it deflected quite a bit off Dunne otherwise he'd have saved it.

2nd goal was yeah a poor kick but plenty of times this season Given's kicks have barely reached the halfway line as his ongoing groin injury restricts his kicking and Bosnich wasn't great at it either.

America’s Brad Guzan and current Aston Villa goalkeeper calls in from Birmingham England. In this exclusive interview, Guzan discusses playing for “The Lions”, acclimating to the Premier League, his future footy plans, and his thoughts on the US National Team.

link

I don't see a problem either way. If they give the shirt to Given then fine, he is a good keeper. Guzan did well when called upon. So he can count himself a little unlucky. The important thing is that whoever is selected knows there is a backup who is itching to play and is capable of playing well for the first team. More competition is good.

I don't see a problem either way. If they give the shirt to Given then fine, he is a good keeper. Guzan did well when called upon. So he can count himself a little unlucky. The important thing is that whoever is selected knows there is a backup who is itching to play and is capable of playing well for the first team. More competition is good.

So who will be back up next season when BG goes? Will we really get better or as good for less money because that is the game they are playing at B6

I don't think it's a bad decision.

Yes he's done well since he's been standing in. But Shay Given is still the better keeper.

Given is the number 1. he knows that and Guzan knows that. Dropping Given at this point would send a worse message to him than it would to Guzan, imo.

Yes Guzan has done well, but he's still not as good as Given, and Given hasn't done anything to justify dropping him.

He's performed well and apart from one iffy kick has made no errors. If we are so skint that our idea of transfer activity is getting Robbie Keane in for 2 months, then I think we should gamble on a few more games with Guzan as a gesture to him that he's trusted and has a part to play for Villa going forward. Bringing Given straight back in tells Brad that he only plays on sufferance. It's little decisions like this which could be the difference between losing a solid backup keeper this summer or not losing him.

I don't think it's a bad decision.

Yes he's done well since he's been standing in. But Shay Given is still the better keeper.

Given is the number 1. he knows that and Guzan knows that. Dropping Given at this point would send a worse message to him than it would to Guzan, imo.

Yes Guzan has done well, but he's still not as good as Given, and Given hasn't done anything to justify dropping him.

I absolutely agree.

What I find more baffling is the "bad management" by McLeish. It was only a couple of days ago where he was quoted as saying that Given will not be guaranteed an immediate return & has to compete for his place as Guzan has been doing well....

to then on Friday announce that he was back in the team automatically as he is Villa's No1 keeper.

It is these inconsistent messages/communication, call it what you want that further illustrates poor management.

But what would it say to Given if after the first time he misses a game for us he gets dropped for the 2nd choice keeper?
Depends how long he's dropped for. There's no reason to keep him benched for the rest of the season, but for 2-3 games McLeish could easily spin it as 'wanting to make sure you're match ready' or similar for Given.

What I find more baffling is the "bad management" by McLeish. It was only a couple of days ago where he was quoted as saying that Given will not be guaranteed an immediate return & has to compete for his place as Guzan has been doing well....

to then on Friday announce that he was back in the team automatically as he is Villa's No1 keeper.

It is these inconsistent messages/communication, call it what you want that further illustrates poor management.

And how do we know whats gone on in training? AM is paid to make these decisions, I get the impression whatever he would of done he would of got slatted for it. If Given has looked sharp and match fit in training then in my eyes he plays, its not as if Guzan has won us points in the last few games, where Given certainly did before his injury.

Â