Brad Guzan

R.Bear

His save from Hooper was amazing I say that as a goal keeper myself...however I also say David James was the best keeper we've had in recent times and the best we are likely to have in the near future...he was ridonculously good.

Yes he was good but he was always capable of living up to his name like in the cup final

Guzan is great for us, but I honestly wouldn't put him in the very top bracket yet. For me those better are (in no specific order):

De Gea

Hart

Lloris

Cech

Then Guzan is probably on a similar par to:

Begovic

Mignolet

Vorm

Krul

I'm going to have to call you out on this one. In my opinion, Guzan is better than De Gea, Cech and Hart. I can't say for Lloris cos I haven't really seen him.

And I would say that Mignolet is probably the best keeper in the league.

I don't think this is being bias or unrealistic either. When does Guzan ever make mistakes??? And with a defence like the one he has to put up with it's a wonder he has done so well.

Guzan is great for us, but I honestly wouldn't put him in the very top bracket yet. For me those better are (in no specific order):

De Gea

Hart

Lloris

Cech

Begovic

Mignolet

Vorm

Krul

I'm going to have to call you out on this one. In my opinion, Guzan is better than De Gea, Cech and Hart. I can't say for Lloris cos I haven't really seen him.

I don't think this is being bias or unrealistic either. When does Guzan ever make mistakes??? And with a defence like the one he has to put up with it's a wonder he has done so well.

Yes he's seriously good. Yet another Belgium talent!

De Gea

Hart

Lloris

Cech

Begovic

Mignolet

Vorm

Krul

I think he is a fantastic keeper but he does make mistakes. I remember when he needlessly flew out of his goal against Norwich (A) last season and was beaten to the ball to give them an open goal - luckily they missed. He did something similar in the 6-1 against Sunderland too, if I remember right.

I think mikeyp was fair. For me, he's behind Lloris and Cech definitely. De Gea improved a lot last year and is probably a better prospect than Guzan - not sure I'd swap them on present form, though. Hart seemed to regress last season - perhaps he is no longer with the elite.

In my opinion, Guzan is amongst the next tier with Begovic and Mignolet.

A masterstroke by Lambert to, not only re-sign him, but to drop Given amidst overwhelming pressure too.

De Gea

Hart

Lloris

Cech

Begovic

Mignolet

Vorm

Krul

I think he is a fantastic keeper but he does make mistakes. I remember when he needlessly flew out of his goal against Norwich (A) last season and was beaten to the ball to give them an open goal - luckily they missed. He did something similar in the 6-1 against Sunderland too, if I remember right.

I think mikeyp was fair. For me, he's behind Lloris and Cech definitely. De Gea improved a lot last year and is probably a better prospect than Guzan - not sure I'd swap them on present form, though. Hart seemed to regress last season - perhaps he is no longer with the elite.

A masterstroke by Lambert to, not only re-sign him, but to drop Given amidst overwhelming pressure too.

Him flying out of his goal is a by-product of him actually commanding his area and coming to claim crosses. I'd rather have the odd-mistake which you can easily point out every half a season then then him staying on his line for every ball into the box which would cost more goals over an extended period of time albeit less obviously. De Gea, Cech and Hart are all better shot-stoppers in my opinion but if you offered them to me over Guzan it would be a very difficult decision, especially in a defence like ours which is in need of a loud commanding presence behind them.

All this praise for Guzan and yet two seasons ago, he was being slagged unmercifully by 95% of supporters on various sites.

Brad has always been an excellent shot-stopper, hence his amazing record in penalty saves.

I always thought that his problem was in not shouting orders at his back-line, or commanding his area.

He has obviously worked at commanding his area,ie coming out for crosses.

I think his initial reluctance in shouting orders at his back-line, could be put down to his age and the ages and experience of his then back-line.

It takes a big ego to shout at experienced international defenders when you are in your early twenties. So having replaced Dunne and co, with younger players, has probably done Guzan a world of good.

• Like 3

All this praise for Guzan and yet two seasons ago, he was being slagged unmercifully by 95% of supporters on various sites.

Brad has always been an excellent shot-stopper, hence his amazing record in penalty saves.

I always thought that his problem was in not shouting orders at his back-line, or commanding his area.

He has obviously worked at commanding his area,ie coming out for crosses.

I think his initial reluctance in shouting orders at his back-line, could be put down to his age and the ages and experience of his then back-line.

It takes a big ego to shout at experienced international defenders when you are in your early twenties. So having replaced Dunne and co, with younger players, has probably done Guzan a world of good.

Having Dunne, Collins, Cuellar and company virtually standing on his goal line at all times didn't help, either. Most of the problems in the Blackburn game occurred because you had all of our defenders and all of Blackburn's attackers in the 6yd box, Guzan tried going up for catches or punches but had no room to maneuver and had ALL those players bustling about and contesting the ball with him. Until the current manager, our defensive line was always as deep as possible and just looking for clearances. Whether that was a function of Friedel and Given hardly leaving their line or that entire set of defenders being a bit slow and pretty much useless on the ball or the hit-and-hope counter attacking "strategy", I can't really say. Bit of all three, in all probability.

Him flying out of his goal is a by-product of him actually commanding his area and coming to claim crosses. I'd rather have the odd-mistake which you can easily point out every half a season then then him staying on his line for every ball into the box which would cost more goals over an extended period of time albeit less obviously. De Gea, Cech and Hart are all better shot-stoppers in my opinion but if you offered them to me over Guzan it would be a very difficult decision, especially in a defence like ours which is in need of a loud commanding presence behind them.

First off, I'll repeat myself - I think Guzan is a great keeper, I just don't think he is beyond reproach like some here are claiming. Also, just because I offhandedly referred to a couple of mistakes he made towards the end of last season does not make these his only two mistakes all season. Nor the only type of mistake he made. It was merely a response to the poster who could not recall a single mistake he had made. He is human. His poor decision-making at times proved that.

I am sure you are only too aware we let in 69 goals last season. Worse than QPR. Worse than any club that stayed in the division. Surely, it is difficult to claim we have the best keeper in the league when we conceded such a ridiculous amount. I am not saying all these goals are Brad's fault - he was tragically our MOM when we got spanked 8-0 at Chelsea - however, it's a phenomenal amount of goals and in my opinion Cech or Lloris would have done better.

Guzan looks to have continued his good form into this season and I'm delighted at that. I just think some on here are all too quick to become caught up in our own player's form/ relative success. The Matty Lowton thread was littered with comments that he should be in the England squad, some even said he should be first choice for his country - but after a below average start to his season, he's not even starting for us. For the record, I really like Lowton - he's just an example. All I am doing is attempting to reign the hyperbole.

Edited by Cizzler
  • Like 1

First off, I'll repeat myself - I think Guzan is a great keeper, I just don't think he is beyond reproach like some here are claiming. Also, just because I offhandedly referred to a couple of mistakes he made towards the end of last season does not make these his only two mistakes all season. Nor the only type of mistake he made. It was merely a response to the poster who could not recall a single mistake he had made. He is human. His poor decision-making at times proved that.

I am sure you are only too aware we let in 69 goals last season. Worse than QPR. Worse than any club that stayed in the division. Surely, it is difficult to claim we have the best keeper in the league when we conceded such a ridiculous amount. I am not saying all these goals are Brad's fault - he was tragically our MOM when we got spanked 8-0 at Chelsea - however, it's a phenomenal amount of goals and in my opinion Cech or Lloris would have done better.

Guzan looks to have continued his good form into this season and I'm delighted at that. I just think some on here are all too quick to become caught up in our own player's form/ relative success. The Matty Lowton thread was littered with comments that he should be in the England squad, some even said he should be first choice for his country - but after a below average start to his season, he's not even starting for us. For the record, I really like Lowton - he's just an example. All I am doing is attempting to reign the hyperbole.

Obviously no-one beyond reproach as no player should be. I'm struggling to think of other mistakes he has made (though I'm sure he has), particularly those where I've seen him allow someone to score and then thought 'he should have saved that'. My point was that his occasional poor decision making is a result of him coming to claim so many balls into the box which other more appreciated keepers do less than him IMO. This attribute is vital for a defence such as ours with the centre backs being smaller/worse in the air than the average central defence in the premier league. Therefore it is potentially arguable that Guzan is the goalkeeper most suited to our needs. I do agree that it is difficult and wrong to argue that we have the best goalkeeper in the league but the more important question is who would be the best goalkeeper for aston villa and guzan for me would be very high on that list from goalkeepers in the premier league.

De Gea

Hart

Lloris

Cech

Begovic

Mignolet

Vorm

Krul

MIgnolet is like Given, good shot stopper but awful on crosses, absolute dreadful on them, look at Southampton and United goals 

I thought Brad wad pretty bad yesterday. Let Toure's shot squeeze through, got caught in no man's land for their second, fumbled a few saves and about 4 of his kick ins went straight out. Set up the winner though which was great.

Hopefully that's his one bad game a season out of the way now.

• Like 1

Â