Confirmed Signing: Shay Given (Man City)

Mr_Dogg

I simply do not understand the disgust with which the term "sell to buy" is treated around here. I hate the old cliche about sports being a business (it's not - too many people are too emotionally invested for it to be considered just a business), but really: in what world do people think an average football owner can pump hundreds of millions of pounds into the club without even considering balancing the books? In England, we're talking about Abramovich and Sheikh Mansour are probably the only two. Liverpool and Man U similarly have great spending power, but that also has a lot to do with their huge brand that leads to huge revenues. We are still in the midst of a global recession; have we learned nothing from it? Portsmouth almost went out of existence; Crystal Palace, ditto. It is not a horrifying thing that we have owners who are doing their best to make us a relatively self-sustaining club that can run healthily for years and years to come, and it's frankly ridiculous to expect the owners to buy and buy and buy without any consideration of balancing the books.

Fantastic. Well said.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Given > Foster.

The only thing Foster has over Given is his age. Other than that Given is an all-round better keeper imo.

I will say this, Given will save us morepoints/win us more games than Foster would have done.

*in my humble opinion of course

I simply do not understand the disgust with which the term "sell to buy" is treated around here. I hate the old cliche about sports being a business (it's not - too many people are too emotionally invested for it to be considered just a business), but really: in what world do people think an average football owner can pump hundreds of millions of pounds into the club without even considering balancing the books? In England, we're talking about Abramovich and Sheikh Mansour are probably the only two. Liverpool and Man U similarly have great spending power, but that also has a lot to do with their huge brand that leads to huge revenues. We are still in the midst of a global recession; have we learned nothing from it? Portsmouth almost went out of existence; Crystal Palace, ditto. It is not a horrifying thing that we have owners who are doing their best to make us a relatively self-sustaining club that can run healthily for years and years to come, and it's frankly ridiculous to expect the owners to buy and buy and buy without any consideration of balancing the books.

Fantastic. Well said.

+2

I would have much prefered Foster and thenhave him here for a number of years with a resale value at the end should we not have progressed.

I think he would have been a realistic and more ambitious signing but there you go.

I couldn't disagree more, for me Given is a far more ambitious signing that Foster, who like most English players is vastly overrated and will probably have about as much sell on value as Given in 3 years time.

Some Arsenal fans remarks on Given going to Villa. Quite funny.

TheRudaxJames Ruddock

Villa seem to be making moves that Arsenal should be making. Given and N'Zogbia both affordable and quality players #Arsenal

Gravity_GunnerGravity Gunner

Let me get this straight, Aston Villa have agreed a fee with Man City for Shay Given? No bid from #Arsenal? Madness.

iceman1207O G

So arsenal lose out again to a quality signing to VILLA. Shay given done deal WTF arsene! #crazyprofessor

robbsheridan_robbsheridan

Cannot believe Arsenal haven't bid for Given!!

Cracking signing.

There is/was no better keeper than Shay Given who would come to us. Bar some massive unknown gamble. And its usually better to not gamble on keepers.

I cant think of a single reason why any fan could be disappointed with Given as our number 1 next season.

I would have much prefered Foster and thenhave him here for a number of years with a resale value at the end should we not have progressed.

I think he would have been a realistic and more ambitious signing but there you go.

I couldn't disagree more, for me Given is a far more ambitious signing that Foster, who like most English players is vastly overrated and will probably have about as much sell on value as Given in 3 years time.

Totally agree. We are signing given for about 4 mill, which in this day and age in football is about a fiver. Sell on value means nothing. 35 yrs is his prime he is a top top keeper and it's a great move.

Richard on the other hand I've come to realise would find a negative in a barrell load of positives. And would probably moan if Arsenal signed him and we hadn't put in a bid.

Great keeper, great signing.

I cant think of a single reason why any fan could be disappointed with Given as our number 1 next season.

Nor me mate, i think some people just like to moan for the hell of it.

Not really.

I'm concerned that when his shoulder goes again we're left with Guzan.

Now Given cannot collect crosses but Guzan takes it to a whole new level.

Nor me mate, i think some people just like to moan for the hell of it.

Not really.

I'm concerned that when his shoulder goes again we're left with Guzan.

Now Given cannot collect crosses but Guzan takes it to a whole new level.

I think we may have touched on this before, im sure the medical team will be pushing that shoulder to limit during his medical. They will know all about his previous injuries.

If they are not 100% sure that his shoulder is fine, they will not give him the ok.

12 months sat on the bench to imo one of the best young keepers in the world does not a bad keeper make.

Ok Yoda.

Anyway, I think he is a good signing. Lets hope the sholder injury was a freak one off and not a reoccuring thing.

12 months sat on the bench to imo one of the best young keepers in the world does not a bad keeper make.

Slur that again?

Have you started drinking already? :lol:

Ye olde English Wiggy and no thats not what im drinking :winkold:

Furry muff! :cheers:

As a side note, how many people do we now have who are named after something belonging to Jean II Makoun?

We have his grin, his jumper, his knitwear... anything else?

His talent would be nice. I hope he improves alot this season.

Anyway, I'm rather happy with Given. I just hope he doesn't get injured early on and we're stuck with Guzan. I've never seen such a nervous goalkeeper. He scares me alot.