Confirmed Signing: Shay Given (Man City)

Mr_Dogg

is it just me being pessimistic that we have agreed a fee after agreein to sell downing thinking we need to sell to buy?

no

If you have nothing better to add Richard, do you really have to comment?

Christ on a bike, some Villa fans really do astound me as to how negative and pessimistic they can be.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

is it just me being pessimistic that we have agreed a fee after agreein to sell downing thinking we need to sell to buy?

no

Christ on a bike, some Villa fans really do astound me as to how negative and pessimistic they can be.

Hooray....talks could have been going on for ages just because 2 deals are happening at the same time it doesnt mean ones funding the other anyway when is VT's annual trip to Bridgend?

Just to echo the rumour that Shay is at Bodymoor:

Fourth_Official Fourth Official

Meanwhile Shay Given is undergoing his #AVFC medical currently at Bodymoor Heath after agreeing personal terms

Vital Villa ie Jonathan Fear have tweeted saying he is at BMH as well.

Interesting that you commented after mine but not this one ?

Yes.

Interesting that you commented after mine but not this one ?

Yes.

You're an odd kind of grown up..

Well, I think we had money set aside for a GK all along and that the delay has been on the Man City side with trying to get his payoff settled. I'm glad it's over and that he'll be over here now. He would not have been my first choice, but I also think he's a very good keeper and will improve us.

However, as a side note, I simply do not understand the disgust with which the term "sell to buy" is treated around here. I hate the old cliche about sports being a business (it's not - too many people are too emotionally invested for it to be considered just a business), but really: in what world do people think an average football owner can pump hundreds of millions of pounds into the club without even considering balancing the books? In England, we're talking about Abramovich and Sheikh Mansour are probably the only two. Liverpool and Man U similarly have great spending power, but that also has a lot to do with their huge brand that leads to huge revenues. We are still in the midst of a global recession; have we learned nothing from it? Portsmouth almost went out of existence; Crystal Palace, ditto. It is not a horrifying thing that we have owners who are doing their best to make us a relatively self-sustaining club that can run healthily for years and years to come, and it's frankly ridiculous to expect the owners to buy and buy and buy without any consideration of balancing the books.

Arsenal fans on twitter are furious we've got Given.
So are some Villa fans !

Some Villa fans are furious that we're signing someone who has been one of the best keepers in the league for over a decade? What more do these fans want? :?

So are some Villa fans !

Why do you not want him? Would you have liked us to go for Casillas or a Gigi Buffon.

think some fans just want to moan about anything they can

So are some Villa fans !

Why do you not want him? Would you have liked us to go for Casillas or a Gigi Buffon.

think some fans just want to moan about anything they can

No I am fairly realistic about which players would come to us actually, not sure how you could on the one hand be called negative and pessimistic and then on the other get accused of wanting Casillas / Buffon

For Given I think he is too old and injury prone and I think his wages will be far too much in terms of restricting other potential signings.

I would have much prefered Foster and thenhave him here for a number of years with a resale value at the end should we not have progressed.

I think he would have been a realistic and more ambitious signing but there you go.

I would have much prefered Foster and thenhave him here for a number of years with a resale value at the end should we not have progressed.

I think he would have been a realistic and more ambitious signing but there you go

Foster is just an English Thomas Sorensen. Can make 3 or 4 world class saves but will then throw into his own net. Its why Fergie got rid of him as he didnt trust him

I think Foster would be a good signing, if we had a stable and dependable defence in front of him. Without that, Foster contributes to, rather than mitigates, the risk of a poor defence.

Given will, IMO, give the defenders confidence and be a stabling, calming influence. He doesn't command his area physically, in the way that other keepers do. However, he is a vocal leader and will direct his defence very very well.

For the situation we are currently in and after the season we just had, Given is the ideal keeper for us, IMO.