What Album Are You Listening To Right Now?

Dr_Alimantado

25992757027_d0553a2253.jpg

Had this for Christmas 40 years ago.

So, quick update. Boney M still the best thing on the album.

If they took Kilburn and the High Roads off it they could simply re badge it as the soundtrack to Guardians of the Galaxy 3.

Next up:

40864866481_5ee8dbc20a.jpg

Edited by chrisp65

On 3/17/2018 at 14:37, mjmooney said:

the-decemberists-ill-be-your-girl-1520866052-640x640.jpg

Just heard some of this. It's a bit different!

80s retro, almost computer game synth sounds. 'Severed' strongly reminds me of something....I just can't think what. Not sure it'll be on my list to buy. 

27 minutes ago, blandy said:

Just heard some of this. It's a bit different!

80s retro, almost computer game synth sounds. 'Severed' strongly reminds me of something....I just can't think what. Not sure it'll be on my list to buy. 

Given that it is indeed '80s-synthy', by all rights I ought not to like it. But I do. 

5 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Given that it is indeed '80s-synthy', by all rights I ought not to like it. But I do. 

I'm almost the opposite - I maybe ought to like it but don't really. I can park them as Hazard's of Love was a brilliant peak, but I can safely ignore them again, I think.

11 minutes ago, blandy said:

I'm almost the opposite - I maybe ought to like it but don't really. I can park them as Hazard's of Love was a brilliant peak, but I can safely ignore them again, I think.

Hazards is a bit longwinded for me. The King is Dead is my favourite. 

7 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Hazards is a bit longwinded for me.

I'm listening to it now. it's still a cracker in my view.

Until you just mentioned it I never thought of it as long winded, but you've got a point - an hour is towards the longer end of the spectrum for an album.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, blandy said:

I'm listening to it now. it's still a cracker in my view.

Until you just mentioned it I never thought of it as long winded, but you've got a point - an hour is towards the longer end of the spectrum for an album.

It's not so much the length, as that it's a concept album, with stuff that's just in there to move the story along, short reprises of earlier tracks, instrumental linking sections, etc. It really needs to be listened to in its entirety (essentially, it's prog). Whereas The King is Dead and Terrible World are more like collections of singles - you can listen to a few tracks at a time. 

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

you can listen to a few tracks at a time

This is interesting, because I can quite happily listen to a few tracks or just one, at a time, from HoL. I think we must listen in different ways. With HoL maybe, it's more the music (instruments + sound of voices) than Lyrics that make me like it. Sure it's a dark tale of love between a creature from the woods and etc. but I like the mix of vocalists and just the sound of it, with the lyrical backdrop being kind of less impact (mostly). I can imagine if you listen to the narrative story, the interludes and repeats would make it overblown. I didn't think of it as prog, either till you said so, and you're right. I sort of viewed it as kind of an alt folk -rock mix.

• Thanks 1

my brother has managed to persuade the local second hand record shop guy to have his photo taken every time bro buys a record

the shop hasn't changed much over time, the shop owner...

40082082735_608534a0b1_n.jpg

39166776190_b730656b78_n.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Â