What Album Are You Listening To Right Now?

Dr_Alimantado

Doing the Rolling Stones top 500 albums with a couple of mates, been really hit and miss so far, reached the eurythmics touch at about number 485, its **** awful, meant to be doing 2 a day but it's stopped me, I'm struggling to finish it

stones roses was 497 I think, pisses over everything else so far

11 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Every now and then I say I'm going to start my vinyl collection again. Then I look at the prices, and think **** that. Was looking at a few today, but the cheap ones were in bad condition, I think. @rjw63 do the vinyl gradings mean much to you? 

I think even the worst record shops and charity shops now know it's back to being popular, 10 years ago when I was at uni and used to walk around Wolverhampton on my breaks and pick up arctic monkey singles for 99p from HMV, rumours from a charity shop for 50p and then jam singles from golden oldies or whatever it's called for a £1...it's gone

flogged loads of my collection, especially the 7" I had, on eBay, all the arctic monkeys, kasabian, kings of Leon, bloc party, courteeners, enemy etc I had all their singles

Edited by villa4europe

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

Doing the Rolling Stones top 500 albums with a couple of mates, been really hit and miss so far, reached the eurythmics touch at about number 485, its **** awful, meant to be doing 2 a day but it's stopped me, I'm struggling to finish it

It's all about taste and other peoples opinion I suppose. Ask NME to do one, and the stones roses would be near the top I imagine. 

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

I think even the worst record shops and charity shops now know it's back to being popular, 10 years ago when I was at uni and used to walk around Wolverhampton on my breaks and pick up arctic monkey singles for 99p from HMV, rumours from a charity shop for 50p and then jam singles from golden oldies or whatever it's called for a £1...it's gone

I went to a vinyl shop in Cannock a few months back. There was some pretty poor vinyl going for £20. It seemed to me £20 was the cheapest going, which is scandalous.

1 minute ago, Rugeley Villa said:

It's all about taste and other peoples opinion I suppose. Ask NME to do one, and the stones roses would be near the top I imagine. 

Yeah they would, that's why we did it to be fair to try and broaden our horizons whereas the nme list we all probably already own

so far I've done - 

outkast - aquemini - shit, they'll have more albums on the list which are both ok

BB king - live in cook county jail - not my thing

stone roses

white stripes - white blood cells - WS are a greatest hits band for me

boz scaggs - box scaggs - never heard of him, quite liked it

bonnie rait - give it up - zzzzzzz

mgmt - oracular spectacular - I thought it was ok at the time, it's not anymore...

wilco - Yankee hotel foxtrot - another zzzzz

So I haven't even made it as far as I thought

5 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

I went to a vinyl shop in Cannock a few months back. There was some pretty poor vinyl going for £20. It seemed to me £20 was the cheapest going, which is scandalous.

£20 is pretty much the guide price, it's the RRP of the back to black reissue stuff

Just now, villa4europe said:

Yeah they would, that's why we did it to be fair to try and broaden our horizons whereas the nme list we all probably already own

so far I've done - 

outkast - aquemini - shit, they'll have more albums on the list which are both ok

stone roses

mgmt - oracular spectacular - I thought it was ok at the time, it's not anymore...

Most of them are not my thing tbf, but with any list, you have to dig through the shit to get to the cream. You will no doubt discover some brilliant albums that you never would of discovered if you jack it in, so stick with it :)

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

£20 is pretty much the guide price, it's the RRP of the back to black reissue stuff

When I was collecting vinyl in the early to mid 90s, I was paying anywhere between 3-7 quid max. Any pocket money I got, I was going to brum with my grandad and coming out with a load of vinyl. 90% of my collection got lost in an house fire :(

24 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

You say that and in a sense, I'd agree with you, it's not to my taste at all but as a pop album it kinda deserves its place. I wish that was as shit as pop music gets these days, its at least crafted with an attention to detail by Dave Stewart, he's laboured over it (in a good way), its got hooks and melodies, hell there's even song structure. It was never "dirty" enough for me but I'd much rather have that than the shite peddled out by the majors these days

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

so far I've done - 

stone roses

You're buying them? :o

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

1 hour ago, Rugeley Villa said:

I love going in HMV and looking at the prices, £24.99 appears to be one of their favourite stickers.

Then I sometimes go and have a look through some of the second hand vinyl shops like Kelly's in the market. They'll take £20 off you for a bit of second hand Iron Maiden. Though obviously you're paying for rarity value with that stuff.

But just around the corner from HMV is a gorgeous little independent record shop. I bought a shiny new album in there last week for under a tenner.

Just a block away from Kelly's second hand, there's another shop, a second hand book shop. Upstairs in there a couple of weeks ago I bought an album for £1.

Admittedly, I'm not buying Neil Young, or Royal Blood, or the Beatles.

There's a record shop bang in the centre of London that I use most months, racks of stuff for around a tenner.

6 minutes ago, bickster said:

One for Chris... a final bit of vinyl before hitting the road. Gwenno - Y Dydd Olaf

Just found a remix cd inside that I've never ever heard

699F33B2-C733-447C-A11C-11DD1C99410C.jpeg

I haven't listened to that.

I went to see her a couple of times and thought she was terrible. But so bad it was funny. She shambled up with a couple of carrier bags and did this timid little set on a very basic little synth. My mates still does a brilliant impression of the one gig. 

Later, I saw her doing some dub and didn't realise it was her at the time and really liked it.

But that album has had some really good reviews and I know a few people that love it. So she's on my long list to re listen.

4 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Bought a few LPs from TOR in Rugeley before Christmas, seemed pretty reasonable. 

I don't always mind paying for a decent vinyl if it's from a proper shop where they've got a great collection and I've been able to take my time flicking through everything and taking a proper look before finding something I want, was in the Lake District somewhere (maybe Keswick) and they got me a chair and a cup of tea...spent about 90 minutes in there before putting over £100 in their till, I really enjoy that 

vinyl shopping in HMV however...pains me

for none interested rise records in Worcester is closing, might be this weekend, had 30% off everything last week, fire sale this weekend

6 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

I haven't listened to that.

I went to see her a couple of times and thought she was terrible. But so bad it was funny. She shambled up with a couple of carrier bags and did this timid little set on a very basic little synth. My mates still does a brilliant impression of the one gig. 

Later, I saw her doing some dub and didn't realise it was her at the time and really liked it.

But that album has had some really good reviews and I know a few people that love it. So she's on my long list to re listen.

Yep. She's painfully awful live when it's just her and a keyboard. The record bears no resemblance to the live experience

Â