What Album Are You Listening To Right Now?

Dr_Alimantado

We all know that rap was invented by Blondie, mid way through Rapture...

Fab Five Freddy told me everybody's fly
DJ's spinning I said my, my
Flash is fast, Flash is cool
Francois sais pas, Flashe no deux
And you don't stop, sure shot
Go out to the parking lot
And you get in your car and you drive real far
And you drive all night and then you see a light
And it comes right down and lands on the ground
And out comes a man from Mars
And you try to run but he's got a gun
And he shoots you dead and he eats your head
And then you're in the man from Mars
You go out at night, eatin' cars
You eat Cadillacs, Lincolns too
Mercuries and Subaru
And you don't stop, you keep on eatin' cars
Then, when there's no more cars
You go out at night and eat up bars where the people meet
Face to face, dance cheek to cheek
One to one, man to man
Dance toe to toe
Don't move too slow, 'cause the man from Mars
Is through with cars, he's eatin' bars
Yeah, wall to wall, door to door, hall to hall
He's gonna eat 'em all
Rapture, be pure
Take a tour, through the sewer
Don't strain your brain, paint a train
You'll be singin' in the rain
I said don't stop, do punk rock

Well now you see what you wanna be
Just have your party on TV
'Cause the man from Mars won't eat up bars where the TV's on
And now he's gone back up to space
Where he won't have a hassle with the human race
And you hip-hop, and you don't stop
Just blast off, sure shot
'Cause the man from Mars stopped eatin' cars and eatin' bars
And now he only eats guitars, get up!

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, bickster said:

Hmmm, I think the Last Poets deserve that credit a bit more. Not all rap annoys me but I doubt I've liked much in the last 30 years. Early NWA, Public Enemy, 3rd Bass, De La Soul and a few others are in my collection but after that, its become complete horseshit. It's not much different to how Led Zep, Sabbath, Deep Purple turned into Mottley Crue, Iron Maiden, Metallica and all the other utterly shite metal that has endured for years in some people's emperors new ears

Exactly so. I have a theory that each generation takes what it thinks is the best feature of an earlier genre of music, and distills it down to emphasize that particular feature, discarding all the other stuff that they think is getting in the way. But it was actually all the other stuff that added the subtlety and interest. 

For example, 60s soul (Stax, Volt, Atlantic, Motown) was great because it married a funky bass/drums dance groove to well sung melodic pop music. The 70s generation got all hung up on the groove at the expense of the pop singing, the result was disco, and then a harder form of funk. Much less interesting, in my opinion. 

Similar processes happened with heavy rock (as mentioned above), reggae, country, jazz and punk (among others). Too much emphasis on one aspect of the style, at the expense of others. They think they're improving it, but they're actually destroying it. 

tl;dr version: I don't like change. :P

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Exactly so. I have a theory that each generation takes what it thinks is the best feature of an earlier genre of music, and distills it down to emphasize that particular feature, discarding all the other stuff that they think is getting in the way. But it was actually all the other stuff that added the subtlety and interest. 

For example, 60s soul (Stax, Volt, Atlantic, Motown) was great because it married a funky bass/drums dance groove to well sung melodic pop music. The 70s generation got all hung up on the groove at the expense of the pop singing, the result was disco, and then a harder form of funk. Much less interesting, in my opinion. 

Similar processes happened with heavy rock (as mentioned above), reggae, country, jazz and punk (among others). Too much emphasis on one aspect of the style, at the expense of others. They think they're improving it, but they're actually destroying it. 

tl;dr version: I don't like change. :P

Punk being an equally good call on that, great stuff around in '76, '77 very very quickly descending in to gurning and shouting rude words.

I can't comment on the Metallica thing, because broadly, generally, I can't much distinguish between all that 'stuff'. Which I imagine to be what it's like for others when I'm listening to what I like and my level of interest allows me to identify calypso moving in to ska and ska in to rocksteady and on to reggae and dub and toasting and all that. I can often hear it, spot the references and guess where it's heading.

That whole swathe of rock and heavy metal and american glam stuff, I can't see enough of a difference between Kiss or Bon Jovi  or Metallica. ****I've deleted a comment on it here, 'cos I described my mental picture of 'metal' fans. It's equally as misinformed and stereotyped as my impression of people that like super hero stuff. It's my dumb prejudice.

Be boring if we all liked the same schizz.

• Like 1

Doubt I've ever played this. I'd forgotten all about it. This is a compilation of bands from Gydnia in Poland under the late stages if Communist rule. First gig on a history making tour. Two and a half weeks in Poland and the USSR. The first time an independent band had been allowed to tour the USSR with no aid from the state... Anyway I digress. The first gig on this tour was in Gydinia, a festival. Most of the bands on this compilation were on the bill. I then lugged this around the whole tour using only public transport (that's propoer rock n roll for ya) surprised it even survived

One if the bands on here has two members called.Jacek and Jarek iirc. They gave me this album. They also latched onto us for the whole tour, we only found out why when it was all over, they were smuggling gold from the USSR back to Poland and used us as cover. We could hardly complain, we brought back amber, soviet military uniforms and Pail McCartney albums (made a fortune)

It's shit so far but it has its memories for.me

659BB517-E35C-4C1C-AA50-18399866E2BB.jpeg

23 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Punk being an equally good call on that, great stuff around in '76, '77 very very quickly descending in to gurning and shouting rude words.

I can't comment on the Metallica thing, because broadly, generally, I can't much distinguish between all that 'stuff'. Which I imagine to be what it's like for others when I'm listening to what I like and my level of interest allows me to identify calypso moving in to ska and ska in to rocksteady and on to reggae and dub and toasting and all that. I can often hear it, spot the references and guess where it's heading.

That whole swathe of rock and heavy metal and american glam stuff, I can't see enough of a difference between Kiss or Bon Jovi  or Metallica. ****I've deleted a comment on it here, 'cos I described my mental picture of 'metal' fans. It's equally as misinformed and stereotyped as my impression of people that like super hero stuff. It's my dumb prejudice.

Be boring if we all liked the same schizz.

The 80s is when Metal was properly established imo. It went downhill very quickly. The difference between say black sabbath in 1970, up to Iron Maiden at the start of the 80s is huge. Also Metallica, and Iron Maiden for example, both had a different sound. A lot of bands sounded the same in the 80s mind. Rock and the proto metal bands of the late 60s, and 70s were far more diverse too. The big 3 heavy rock bands of the 70s all had a completely different sound, and lyrical content. 

• Like 1

@chrisp65, have you ever listened to early INXS? Late 70s, early 80s. Completely different to how most people remember them in the late 80s. They were a bit punky, and some of it was Ska, I think. I was a huge fan at one point, and went and bought everything they made. The early albums weren't to my taste, although I enjoyed the odd song. Knowing some of your tastes, you might like the early stuff. 

1 hour ago, bickster said:

Not all rap annoys me but I doubt I've liked much in the last 30 years. Early NWA, Public Enemy, 3rd Bass, De La Soul and a few others are in my collection but after that, its become complete horseshit.

Hip hop suffered for a decade after its Golden Age, but Edan's 'Beauty & The Beat' and Dangerdoom's 'Mouse & The Mask' emerged in 2005. Since then there's been a smattering of decent releases.  I like CYNE, Ugly Duckling, Mr Lif and the Ghostface Badbadnotgood albums amongst others.

This was a freebie.

• Like 1

Just had to find it on YouTube, but just when I started high school, my mate borrowed me an Ice T album. Couldn't remember the name at first, but it turns out it was his "Home Invasion" album. It went completely against my taste at the time, but for some reason I enjoyed it. 

24 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

@chrisp65, have you ever listened to early INXS? Late 70s, early 80s. Completely different to how most people remember them in the late 80s. They were a bit punky, and some of it was Ska, I think. I was a huge fan at one point, and went and bought everything they made. The early albums weren't to my taste, although I enjoyed the odd song. Knowing some of your tastes, you might like the early stuff. 

I have tried, but no. Strangley, my brother has similar music tastes to you, and he likes them a fair bit.

INXS at Brum NEC are in my top 3 worst gigs of my life.

anyhoo....music, by Huw M

25783360988_dec3ee7c68.jpg

4 hours ago, bickster said:

Anyway the most stoned man I ever met. Also the hardest person to get on stage ever. Also one of the nicest people

A lot of surface noise on this one. May have to seek out a replacement

B67EDC40-FC27-4402-A13E-F35C31022953.jpeg

Tried cleaning it?

I got a Knosti manual cleaner 4 years ago and have cleaned all my albums, it really does make a difference. And I now make my own cleaning solution, much cheaper.

4 hours ago, rjw63 said:

Tried cleaning it?

I got a Knosti manual cleaner 4 years ago and have cleaned all my albums, it really does make a difference. And I now make my own cleaning solution, much cheaper.

Explain

1 hour ago, bickster said:

I googled the knosti, tell me about the fluid. Ta

Ok, the Knosti fluid is crap and the others are good but not cheap, around twelve quid per litre.

A recipe I found is cheaper. 80% distilled water, 20% isopropyl alcohol and 5ml of Kodak photographic wetting agent. Five litres of water was £7. One litre wetting agent £11. Alcohol I can't recall but it's not that much. I now have enough stuff to make cleaning fluid for the next three or four years.

Edited by rjw63
Feckin autocorrect
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Â