What Album Are You Listening To Right Now?

Dr_Alimantado

Frank Sinatra. His name alone still carries more weight than a freight train & I've yet to meet another soul like him. In all the years we worked together, we never once had a contract...just a straight up handshake. And unlike many others during the 50's & 60's, race wasn't a chasm he had to cross...If he asked you to be onstage with him, you were out front with him. He wasn't about trying to put the "colored people" in the back. There was no gray to the man. He was hip, straight up, & straight ahead...& above all, a monster musician. I'll never forget the day in '64 when Francis called me to ask if I'd be willing to arrange & conduct the Basie band for his album. I said "Man...is pig booty pork??!?? Puhhleeeze!" So, he flew me out to Kauai where he was directing "None but the Brave," & he sat me down in his office to explain what we needed to do. In the middle of the convo, he got on the phone & called a military friend at the Pentagon. He said "I'm shooting a picture & it'd be great if you could arrange to have the Pacific fleet ease by here tomorrow so we could film them in the background." The next day, the Pacific fleet eased on by...That's simply the type of guy he was & he had the type of influence that only he could possess. Francis & I had a connection that was out of this world...Literally. Buzz Aldrin played the recording of my arrangement of Frank Sinatra's "Fly Me to the Moon" with the Count Basie Band, in outer space, making it the first song ever to be played on the moon...It's a very special bond. But beyond our musical connection, we were family. Plain & simple. Tina gave me his ring that bears his family crest, & I haven't taken it off since. Francis, I miss U more every day, but I'll never forget the beautiful times we shared...Happy Birthday!! I know you're probably still throwin' cherry bombs in the toilet! ((:0))

Quincy Jones's Facebook - Today

• Like 2

On 12/16/2017 at 17:20, chrisp65 said:

DRLnGE2XkAEmS9R.jpg

Manics, Catatonia, 60ft Dolls, Sterephonics, Gorkys, Dub War it's a bit of a 90's theme here. 

Twenty years ago this lot. Jeeeeesh, fruit flies like bananas.

I have that dial m for merthyr, I had a long run of buying fierce panda releases. 60 ft dolls and indeed gorkys are one of the few acts in the house we can say we own everything by. Dub war, not so much.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

R-2975047-1309962151.jpeg.jpg

I've liked it because I've just ordered it off amazon.Not expecting much, apart from a bit of festiveness, which jethro tull seem to do ok. It's not a great album though, I think I've heard you mention in the past? 

Just now, Rugeley Villa said:

I've liked it because I've just ordered it off amazon.Not expecting much, apart from a bit of festiveness, which jethro tull seem to do ok. It's not a great album though, I think I've heard you mention in the past? 

It's my favourite Christmas album (and indeed my favourite Tull album) by absolutely miles. I love it.

1 minute ago, mjmooney said:

It's my favourite Christmas album (and indeed my favourite Tull album) by absolutely miles. I love it.

Oh right, I thought you mentioned this album not being great, but it must of been another tull album or some other xmas album. Ian Anderson normally does a Christmas concert in a cathedral around about now. 

TV0ipAc.jpg

Martha Velez - 'Fiends & Angels'

Guitar - Eric Clapton, Bass - Jack Bruce, Organ - Brian Auger, Keyboards - Christine McVie, Drums - Jim Capaldi, Drums - Mitch Mitchell, Guitar - Stan Webb, Saxophone - Chris Wood, Saxophone - Johnny Almond, Harmonica - Duster Bennett, Guitar - Paul Kossoff, Saxophone - Chris Mercer, Guitar - Spit James, Bass - Andy Silvester, Drums - Dave Bidwell, Horns - Jeff Condon, Guitar - Rick Hayward, Keyboards - Blue Weaver, Horns - Terry Noonan, Horns - Bud Parkes, Horns - Derek Wadsworth

There's a head scratcher, huh?

2 hours ago, Xann said:

TV0ipAc.jpg

Guitar - Eric Clapton, Bass - Jack Bruce, Organ - Brian Auger, Keyboards - Christine McVie, Drums - Jim Capaldi, Drums - Mitch Mitchell, Guitar - Stan Webb, Saxophone - Chris Wood, Saxophone - Johnny Almond, Harmonica - Duster Bennett, Guitar - Paul Kossoff, Saxophone - Chris Mercer, Guitar - Spit James, Bass - Andy Silvester, Drums - Dave Bidwell, Horns - Jeff Condon, Guitar - Rick Hayward, Keyboards - Blue Weaver, Horns - Terry Noonan, Horns - Bud Parkes, Horns - Derek Wadsworth

I've been meaning to get that for years. 

On 16/12/2017 at 17:20, chrisp65 said:

DRLnGE2XkAEmS9R.jpg

Manics, Catatonia, 60ft Dolls, Sterephonics, Gorkys, Dub War it's a bit of a 90's theme here. 

Twenty years ago this lot. Jeeeeesh, fruit flies like bananas.

Poor old Johnny Owens on the cover of Dial M

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

I've been meaning to get that for years. 

The cast and cover were enough for me to buy it.

Vastly disappointing on first listens. It really could/should be stellar.

Listening now, it's an ok Blues Rock album. Most of interest to completists of the individuals.

It's a tempting morsel on the Rock Family Tree, for sure :)

11 hours ago, Xann said:

TV0ipAc.jpg

All those names. It’s bound to be shit.  Because if it wasn’t, then every man and his dog would know about it. Presumably it’s egomungous, Dave?

3 hours ago, blandy said:

All those names. It’s bound to be shit.  Because if it wasn’t, then every man and his dog would know about it. Presumably it’s egomungous, Dave?

If you listened to it blind? It's not offensive or overtly self indulgent, but it's not as good as albums made by Spit James ('Halfbreed'), who's way down the pecking order on that list.

Neither is it so shite that it's infamous.

That's its problem, it's not really much of anything.

The most fun I get out of it is handing it to people to read who's on it :)

• Haha 1

Â