What Album Are You Listening To Right Now?

Dr_Alimantado

Would any of you consider not listening to an artist/album if you discovered their political affiliations don't match your own?

The vast majority of bands/musicians (and indeed 'artists' in general) are left wing/anti-establishment/anti-Tory.

Thankfully I don't think (m)any of the musicians I listen to are Right wing or Tory lovers, although the news that Kate Bush has described Cruella as 'Wonderful' did leave a sour taste in my mouth.

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/arts-entertainment/theresa-may-thinks-kate-bush-is-shit-20161130118115

Theresa May thinks Kate Bush is shit

30-11-16

The South Bank Sky Arts Awards at the Dorchester Hotel, London, Britain - 01 May 2012 

THERESA May has thanked Kate Bush for her kind words but regrets she cannot return them because Bush’s music is ‘hippy crap’. After Bush described her as ‘wonderful’, the prime minister said she was delighted to receive support from a respected artist but she only wished it was one who did not swish around in the woods like a demented sex nymph.

She continued: “It is heartening to be praised by one of the creative community, ordinarily tediously left-wing, but sadly I have a passing familiarity with Mrs Bush’s work and it is unmitigated drivel.

“A damper collection of dope-smoking saucer-eyed warbling one cannot imagine. It makes me itch to bring back witch trials.

“If, in my English Lit O-level class, a girl summed up Wuthering Heights as ‘Heathcliff, let me in at your window’ we’d know jolly well she’d only skimmed the first three chapters.”

She added: “I only own one CD, it is of romantic and patriotic songs sung by a pair of soldiers called ‘Robson & Jerome’. I listen to it in the car sometimes. It is very good.”

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

as the office gets quieter and the phone has all but ceased ringing...

C0NWVz1XAAEkWYt.jpg

Have you seen 'What Happened, Miss Simone' Chris?

Well worth checking out if you haven't :thumb:

• Like 2

No, don't know that. I'm only now getting beyond Nina Simone 'greatest hits' as it were. I've seen and heard a little bit of biography and it's definitely on my 'to do' list.

....just checked it out and it's on Netflix. The rest of them are out tonight for Rogue One, so tonight looks like a perfect opportunity. 

Good call, cheers.

• Like 1

Heard she was due to play @ Ronnie Scott's, but met a geezer in a bar before doors, then didn't show for the gig.

Ronnie Scott was livid and told her she'd never play in the UK again.

It came to pass she never did play in the UK again.

Very good. Good recommendation there.

Didn't put it on until the others were back home, there was more 60's civil rights in it than I'd expected. My nipper's currently doing a module on that very topic so we've all sat together and watched it.

49 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

The Nina Simone and Amy Winehouse documentaries are both excellent. 

Keep meaning to watch the Amy winehouse documentary. I watched the new oasis documentary last week, supersonic. Was good and gave you a great insight from the rags to riches story.

Edited by Rugeley Villa

Â