What Album Are You Listening To Right Now?

Dr_Alimantado

To be honest I think I made it sound a bit more interesting that it actually is. I misread the discogs page and thought the Christiansen piece took up an whole side of one of the tapes, but it's only about ten minutes. I was disappointed. Now I'm stuck with almost two hours of music that I'm not really interested in, in an annoying big cardboard box, lol.. Still waiting for someone to reissue 'Op.50: Requiem Of Art'.

48 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

dub-side-of-the-moon.jpg

I think those kind of things mostly don't really work. Maybe because the only ones I've listened to have been ones where I really liked the original album, so it's almost bound to be a let down. The Radiodread one of OK computer was about the best I've heard.

I've never heard any of the original, wouldn't be able to identify a track off it (unless it's something super famous I hadn't realised, like the MOTD them tune or something).

I've seen that dub version referenced a few times and I will eventually get around to listening to it.

Right now, I've promised a record shop I'm getting in there to pick up a copy of a Dubrobots single they've held for me - but it's lashing down monsoon end of times rain....

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

I've never heard any of the original,

You will have, even if you don't realise it. I can't believe that someone of your musical awareness and interest has never heard any of Dark Side of the Moon - Money, or Time, for example. They pop up all over the place.

Genuinely no idea where to start. Waited an age for them to arrive but 15 new albums arrived today in these lovely boxes.

F7C08AAC-CBFE-4AD2-8F84-F729F876CD76_zps

Thanks to Xann who I think was the first to alert me to this collection in this thread a while back.

• Like 3

6tiiqv.jpg

Hardwater - S/T

Good little album this Mike. It's a little rough around the edges, harmonies on the vox raise an occasional eyebrow, but a solid listen veering between late 60s Rock and Pop.

There are tracks on Youtube, but not the ones I'd hoped for.

27 minutes ago, choffer said:

Thanks to Xann who I think was the first to alert me to this collection in this thread a while back.

Nice. Hope they're up to scratch!

Got postie's card today. Hopefully that's mine.

Didn't do the Reggae, went for a couple of shirts.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, blandy said:

You will have, even if you don't realise it. I can't believe that someone of your musical awareness and interest has never heard any of Dark Side of the Moon - Money, or Time, for example. They pop up all over the place.

Yep, heard Money before, that is one of those 'standards' that I guessed would be on there - I think it's used for every BBC financial reportage on Newsnight.

The only other one I recognise was that 'Great gig in the sky' track. Other than that, didn't recognise anything.

I guess I've managed to go quite a long time not listening to this sort of thing.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Yep, heard Money before, that is one of those 'standards' that I guessed would be on there - I think it's used for every BBC financial reportage on Newsnight.

The only other one I recognise was that 'Great gig in the sky' track. Other than that, didn't recognise anything.

I guess I've managed to go quite a long time not listening to this sort of thing.

I dont want to stereotype here, but I am just going to come out with it. You are welsh, therefore you must have smoked a metric **** ton of weed in the past, therefore surely, surely pink floyd must have soundtracked at least one of these probable escapades. 

I have had two "whiteys", In my youth, one was to the soundtrack of acid jazz noodlers, Corduroy and the other was to Pink floyds ‘The Wall’.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

I dont want to stereotype here, but I am just going to come out with it. You are welsh, therefore you must have smoked a metric **** ton of weed in the past, therefore surely, surely pink floyd must have soundtracked at least one of these probable escapades. 

That's appalling stereotyping, there Seat68, you should be ashamed.

Super Furry Animals is apparently the go to band of the Welsh stoner these days.

• Like 3

tsk, I wrote a great long thesis of a thing about drugs n music and it didn't post up and so here is the abbreviated version:

As a kid in a small community there were two choices. Xann called it right on the first one, solvents. The biggest little gang on the island were in to their gloo. A tub of evostik and a plastic bag, or just a tin of lighter fuel. Even as a nipper I could see that wasn't a great life choice.

The other group did lager and paracetamol. Breaker parties as they were known locally.

Weed didn't really figure much in my social circles. I remember once being in the big city, stood in a record store. A guy schmoozed up next to me and asked if I wanted to buy some grass. I nonchalantly said no thanks and he moved off. I remember thinking at the time 'why the hell would I want to buy grass?'. Must have been a year later I worked out what it meant, but he'd gone by then.

As for smoking whilst listening to Floyd. No. That was what 'they' did. Those slightly older kids with their band names intricately traced in biro on their bags and coats. Rush, Floyd, Zeppelin all that, we would wander the school or the streets looking for these band names. We were an aggressive little band of hyena's, the island boys.

Anyway, Happy Christmas.

Today I have mostly been listening to Blondie.

• Like 1

Â