What Album Are You Listening To Right Now?

Dr_Alimantado

1 hour ago, Brumerican said:

WTSMG is just songs that weren't good enough for DM and it's shows looking back. Their last album is seriously underrated IMO . It's probably their grooviest album and has the only decent Liam penned song  in existence . To be where there's life and Falling Down are both absolute belters . DOYS is as near as they'd  ever get to trying something new. There are some seriously good riffs on that album .

I think that is a bit harsh on WTSMG. It contains stone cold classics like Wonderwall, Don't Look Back in Anger, Champagne Supernova and Morning Glory. Not to mention Some Might Say, Cast No Shadow and She's Electric. Its an epic anthemic album, not as hard and in your face as DM, but excellent in its own right. In my mind DM does sound fresher but that's probably due to over exposure of WTSMG and the fact i've played it to death over the last 20 years! :) I do absolutely love Be Here Now as well, as i've mentioned before. Pre 2000 Oasis are my all time favourite band. 

• Like 1

My first listen I pression was the lyrics are intense and deep, he's saying something, there's no pop song on there, without knowing what he's done there's no single jumping out at me or any kind of instant banger, it's pretty intense, no song jumping out at me, it's going to need a few listens to get it

as a part time fan what's your favourite KL tune @Daweii ? I'd probably say money trees or the recipe, I feel like there's a bit of a knowledge gap with me 

And once you've answered that question point me in the direction of Anderson paak...

i watched nas play Glastonbury on iplayer and he waxed lyrical about him, sat watching waiting for him to come on jools, dunno the entry point, I'll be honest and say hip hop 10 years back I listened to all and sundry and then apwalked away, took me a long time to listen to KL, I'm very cynical over Kanye, don't really listen to much new stuff, I ain't feeling grime 

As far as Kendrick Lamar goes I think my favourite track is still 'Swimming Pools (Drank)' there is just something about the track that clicks with me. That said the whole 'good kid, m.A.A.d city' album is full of some of the greatest tracks of his career so it's a hard choice. I also adore 'King Kunta' from 'To Pimp A Butterfly' for similar reasons it just clicks with me more than some of his other tracks did. 

As for Anderson .Paak I'm not all that well versed with his material really. I keep meaning to check him out, but never get around to it. I used to be a huge Rap/Hip-Hop fan, but the modern scene just didn't do anything for me. The only artists I listen to these days are Kendrick Lamar, Run The Jewels, Logic and Lupe Fiasco although Lupe can be very inconsistent, he can release a masterpiece album like 'Tetsuo & Youth' and follow it up with an absolutely trash album it's a shame.

@villa4europe Gave some of Anderson .Paak's stuff a listen over the weekend. 

Not sure what to think really. The guy is clearly talented, but he concerns me. His album 'Venice' is a pretty damn good Hip-Hop/Rap album and I can see why he has lots of attention right now, but his follow up to that 'Malibu' is nothing like that album. 'Malibu' sounds like the kind of album Bruno Mars or another modern day Pop icon would put out, which is great if you're partial to that kind of music but it's not the straight up Hip-Hop record that he's done in the past. So I'm not sure if Anderson .Paak is the future of Hip-Hop, but he may just be the future of Pop music if 'Malibu' is any idea of the direction he's heading in.

He did sign with Dr Dre's Aftermath Entertainment label last year so maybe a record on that label will be Hip-Hop/Rap focused, but after listening to 'Venice' and 'Malibu' it seems .Paak is aiming for Pop supremacy more than anything. 

• Like 1

I picked up Malibu too! I kind of like it from what I've heard so far (was in the car got about 5 tracks in) the opening track, little bird of whatever it's called, that's not hip hop but at the same time I quite liked it, it's more like modern soul, hard to pigeon hole it tbf 

• Like 1

Image result for Bobby Tarantino

Logic is dropping a new record in two weeks so I'm going back through his past material in preparation. Logic is one of the greatest rappers alive today and his dedication to putting out music is second to none. This guy has put out an album or mixtape every year for 9 years he just doesn't stop recording music, yet his quality never drops in fact he only seems to get better. 

Image result for the black angels death song album

The Black Angels - Death Song

Only half way through this on first listen but awesome so far - tremendous Psychedelic Rock!!!!!

Great if you like BRMC, Thee Oh Sees, Moon Duo, Dead Meadow, Black Mountain and Wooden Shjips etc

Edited by theboyangel
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

Image result for the black angels death song album

The Black Angels - Death Song

Only half way through this on first listen but awesome so far - tremendous Psychedelic Rock!!!!!

Great if you like BRMC, Thee Oh Sees, Moon Duo, Dead Meadow, Black Mountain and Wooden Shjips etc

Never heard of these but they sound good going by the song above.

• Like 1

Â