• McClaren
    • Martinez
    • Hughes
    • Poyet
    • Coyle
    • Rijkaard
    • Other (Please State)

On the 'Ambition of being a top side':

Anyone expecting us to miraculously transform into a 'top side' in the next 4 or 5 years needs to take a reality check. We havent been a top side for the best part of 20 years, so expecting it like it's some kind of god-given right is over-shooting the mark somewhat.

If it upsets anyone that we may not imminently be challenging for the top 4 because we appoint a manager like Hughes or Coyle, then said people are probably following the wrong club. We are an upper-mid table side, with aspirations of finishing higher. The likely hood of us breaking the top 4 is slim, and get's slimmer by the day with the advances of Man City.

What we need is a manager with a long term vision for the club, who can start building a footballing philosophy back into the way we approach matchdays. A manager who can stick around long enough to feed a footballing ethos right through the club, back to the Youth teams and into the senior squad.

Ancelotti would have been nice, but let's not kid ourselves, he would have been off to a champions league outfit at the first opportunity. Moyes isnt realistic, we were far short of Everton last year. Hughes or Coyle though would be about right; Good, young managers who should be able to achieve all they want to at a club like Villa.

your expectations of villa are obviously **** all

thats sad

why dont you like aston villa any more and want them to do well?

you describe both hughes and martinez as "good young managers"?

you obviously have a low level of what good is.

you suggest they would be long term visionaries who can create a football dynasty?

i think it is more realistic to think getting a top manager and giving a degree of financial backing to try and get towards the top 4 sounds slightly more realistic than living in a world of dreams and praying that a manager who has proved nothing can magically become some magical wizard of football management and elivate us by merely plucking youth team players and making them in to world beaters.

just because someone is not over 50 does not make them some awsome manager who will live each day in a claret and blue world sculpting the worlds best team and pledging both his life and soul to the club for eternity.

your probably following the wrong club.

Who do you think the club will be able to attract then?

BTW - talk about putting words into my mouth, not cool. 'I dont like Aston Villa and dont want them to do well'. That's quite right, I've just renewed my season ticket so I can relish watching them underachieve for another season.

Top teams get the top managers, I dont think we're any more of a top team than Everton are, thus I dont expect us to be getting anyone like Moyes or Ancelotti.

Basically, what he is saying is that you aren't deluded enough to be a villa fan. Maybe I'm not either.

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm expecting us to get someone like Hughes or Coyle, which i'll be happy with. Anything better would be a masterstroke by Lerner

Well apparently Coyle is not interested.

And Moyes sees us as a selling club, allegedly?

Mmmmmm!!!!!!

The press are making us look fairly unattractive atm?? edit (sp)

I'm expecting us to get someone like Hughes or Coyle, which i'll be happy with. Anything better would be a masterstroke by Lerner

Well apparently Coyle is not interested.

And Moyes sees us as a selling club, allegedly?

Mmmmmm!!!!!!

The press are making us look fairly unattrative atm??

the press are doing it because there is **** all else to write about this summer

we are in the best position for quite some time to get a top manager

just got to have faith the board dont decide to go all cheapo and appoint a shit manager, i cant see them making such a basic and stupid mistake.

Poyet won't leave. There's no reason for him to...just taken them up to the Champ, moving to a new stadium, getting valuable experience. Why would he do a Roy Keane and jump ship straight into the deep end? And not just any deep end, the Villa deep end where our fans get the knives out very quickly..

I think Villa would be massively attractive to Poyet. Villa are one of the top 20 sides in the world (Probably 20th lol!) and would be a brilliant stepping stone for someone who wants to manage at the top level

Are you really saying that a manager who has just moved from League 1 to the championship would not relish the chance of becoming Villa manager - I think he'd leap at the chance.

Yes.

As mentioned, he'd be out of his depth and he knows it.

I wouldn't have thought so - Played for 2 top six sides, Repected international, won top honours as a player, player of the tournament when winning Copa America, first team coach a Tottenham, Promotion in his first full season, voted league one manager of the year - sounds crap doesnt he!!!!

He will be managing a top class side within the next couple of years - I hope it's us

Do I think we will go for Mcleash? No and see no reason why he would come above Hughes and if Hughes was ignored for the way he left Fulham then this would certainly be the case for someone who resigned by e-mail.

Brummy Bloke - Dont want to re-quote that one and spoil the page.

In reply -

You're obviously a touch more optimistic than I am about our chances of appointing a top manager. That's fine, I've no problem with that.

My personal opinion is that I think there's only a (very) slim chance of getting in someone like Moyes, or Van Gaal. I dont believe for a second that the club won't have atleast attempted to get said managers in, but I'm not going to criticise the board if they fail to do so.

The idea of simply being able to wave a wad of cash at a manager like Moyes and expect him to quit a job that has been his life for the last 9 years is perhaps simplifying the situation too much. We all live in a Villa world, and we all want a great manager to come in. But someone like Moyes might look at us and fail to see how we're any better than Everton.

My point of view is this:

We're a club who should be aiming for 6th, we've got the players to get us there, but we dont have the squad to push on any further at the moment. Furthermore, we don't have the pull to be able to bring in established top 4 players or managers. Therefore in order to get there we'll need to take risks on manager & players who might be able to improve under us and get us there eventually.

In the meantime, I'm happy to settle for a manager who I think may get us to improve over a period of time. I won't be waving any plackards at Lerner because he's failed to bring in a "Meltdown manager".

Do I think we will go for Mcleash? No and see no reason why he would come above Hughes and if Hughes was ignored for the way he left Fulham then this would certainly be the case for someone who resigned by e-mail.

i would doubt it too, he may see that several jobs will become available in the coming weeks.

the other side is these managers are on a rather good wage, they unlike most of us, can afford to take a year off. i very much doubt he is down to his last 1/2 million pounds.

i think there will be 2 or 3 managers moving premiership clubs

i cant see qpr keeping warnock for example, sunderland with bruce collapsing is another one

so although it all looks like some horror piss take being linked with these types of manager, i doubt any of them will be com,ing to our great club.

According to talkSHITE Randy is now in talks with Bob Bradley over the vacant manager's position. Well that would certainly fulfill the PL experience criteria.

Well the US want him out now, especially after poor form post-WC.

Surely you can do better than him though? I've never thought of BB being strong enough for PL, especially a team at your level.

Fantasic news everyone! (if not already posted)

Pannu has slagged of Mcleash for the way he left and said that they would stop him going to Villa as they have not been approached!!!

NO WAY WOULD RANDY MAKE AN ILLEGAL APPROACH!!!! :D

LINK

Alex McLeish latest: Birmingham City vow to stop boss leaving; Early runners to replace; No bid from Villa

PETER Pannu has described Alex McLeish’s Birmingham City resignation as ‘‘irresponsible’’.

And he insisted that McLeish will NOT be allowed to walk, at least until the acting chairman has consulted with the club’s legal people.

It comes after McLeish was made the bookies’ odds-on favourite to become the new manager of fierce rivals Aston Villa.

Pannu said McLeish would be denied permission to talk to any other club after he dropped his bombshell yesterday – which was revealed first by the Birmingham Mail’s Colin Tattum on his blog and Twitter account.

And, in a twist that would be reminiscent of Steve Bruce’s acrimonious departure from Crystal Palace to Blues in 2001, McLeish could be placed on gardening leave if Villa try to appoint him as their new boss.

Pannu made it clear he was not pointing the finger at Villa and suggesting a ‘tapping-up’ of McLeish, but would consider this a line of investigation.

By last night, Blues had not received any formal approach from Villa to speak to McLeish.

Ultimately, owner Carson Yeung and Pannu will be required to appoint a successor for McLeish, who replaced Bruce in the St Andrew’s hot seat in November 2007.

Gianfranco Zola, Roberto di Matteo and Chris Hughton are understood to be the early contenders.

McLeish sent his resignation via email to Pannu from abroad; he has been on holiday in Italy since the beginning of last week.

Pannu said he received it just as he was about to return from Amsterdam, where he had been concluding the capture of PSV Eindhoven striker Danny Koevermans on a Bosman free transfer.

Pannu also revealed he had also snared Dundee United midfielder Morgaro Gomis, also on a free, for McLeish.

“Just as I am flying back, Alex emails me of his resignation. This is so irresponsible,” stated Pannu in a text message.

This is getting out of hand now. With fans like us I'd be worried about taking the job too. Nobody seems to be making a circus out of the Chelsea managerial vacancy. Fellow Villans I implore you to ignore the media, don't get drawn into the farce, and stop trying to run the club. We'll end up being the most deluded and derided fans in the country, ready to be universally laughed at if we're relegated just like the Geordies were.

McLeish ain't happening! It's that simple.

Exactly.

Randy Lerner would have to be seriously mental to appoint Alex McLeish.

Absolutely gone.

If he fancied an uproar or a half empty Villa Park every game with no support and just constant protests he could appoint him i suppose.

Thinking about it some Villa fans actually think he does and has no more interest in us, perhaps he will be appointed then!

No chance folks

Why would there be mass protests. He's a good manager with a decent track record who clearly didn't get on with the new regime at Blues. So he takes them down and then walks out. He should be lauded as a Villa Park hero for that alone. Oh and before he leaves he spends all their transfer kitty on a convicted rapist. The guy is a genius. Get him here and put up a statue.

I dont think it will neccessarily happen just becuase he's semi available. I think it's 100% press speculation and if we were going to appoint him we'd have gone through the club before he resigned.

Brummy Bloke - Dont want to re-quote that one and spoil the page.

In reply -

You're obviously a touch more optimistic than I am about our chances of appointing a top manager. That's fine, I've no problem with that.

My personal opinion is that I think there's only a (very) slim chance of getting in someone like Moyes, or Van Gaal. I dont believe for a second that the club won't have atleast attempted to get said managers in, but I'm not going to criticise the board if they fail to do so.

The idea of simply being able to wave a wad of cash at a manager like Moyes and expect him to quit a job that has been his life for the last 9 years is perhaps simplifying the situation too much. We all live in a Villa world, and we all want a great manager to come in. But someone like Moyes might look at us and fail to see how we're any better than Everton.

My point of view is this:

We're a club who should be aiming for 6th, we've got the players to get us there, but we dont have the squad to push on any further at the moment. Furthermore, we don't have the pull to be able to bring in established top 4 players or managers. Therefore in order to get there we'll need to take risks on manager & players who might be able to improve under us and get us there eventually.

In the meantime, I'm happy to settle for a manager who I think may get us to improve over a period of time. I won't be waving any plackards at Lerner because he's failed to bring in a "Meltdown manager".

i think we are ALL agreed this is what we want, it is who is going to do it which is the problem. any manager will be a gamble it is how to reduce the odds of failure which counts.

thats why getting better normally reduces the risks, it doesnt always work as ramos to spurz showed but if it didnt work far more often than not, there would be no such thing as top managers. it would be old managers, young managers and middle aged managers.

it is why we purchased bent rather than hope the fonz would fire us back up the league. foinz has potential and is young, bent is top quality.

we all saw what getting top quality CAN do, while bent may not have been an instat success, his previous history and performances showed he stood a far greater chance of being a success.

i think we are all desperate for villa to show the world a big " **** you" sign especially after the season ended and we became the easy story for the papers. all of them whipping it up into some kind of circus with us being the butt of all the jokes.

talkSPORT desperate for people to ring in agian I see.

I make no bones about the fact that I am an avid listener. I choose not to get angry about them because they are just attention seeking children, but continue to be amazed that people get sucked in with their constant trolling.

We won't appoint Bradley, or Big 'Eck or Billy Davies.

Keep Calm and Carry on.

Why would there be mass protests. He's a good manager with a decent track record who clearly didn't get on with the new regime at Blues. So he takes them down and the walks out. He should be lauded as a Villa Park hero for that alone. Oh and before he leaves he sepnds all their transfer kitty on a convicted rapist. The guy is a genius. Get him here and put up a statue.

:lol:

Why would there be mass protests. He's a good manager with a decent track record who clearly didn't get on with the new regime at Blues. So he takes them down and then walks out. He should be lauded as a Villa Park hero for that alone. Oh and before he leaves he spends all their transfer kitty on a convicted rapist. The guy is a genius. Get him here and put up a statue.

:crylaugh:

Good shout for post of the year......