• Coyle
    • Rijkaard
    • Other (Please State)

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Martinez is a risk, undoubtedly.

But I really like his approach to the game and the way he has Wigan playing. I think it will build on the changes Houllier started to implement. If he can get Wigan playing that sort of pass and move football what can he do with Makoun, Delph, Bannan, Clark, Downing, Bent etc?

I am also massively impressed with his ability to motivate players and cope during 'crunch' games. Unbeaten in the last four under the sort of pressure he was facing? And sticking successfully to the attacking syle of play.

Main doubts for me are over transfers - has he got the contacts and eye for talent required? And is he a big enough draw for the players we want to attract?

Also, defensively Wigan were awful at times last season. That would be a worry given how poor we ourselves were.

But, if we have genuinely ruled out Rafa, with Jol gone and Ancelotti ruled out I think he is a strong, long-term appointment.

I would definitely have him as manager over Schteve or Hughes. Not in terms of achievements to date but in terms of the characteristics above and the way that I'd like to see Villa play. Ultimately I think he could take us just as far as Hughes but it would be a much more enjoyable ride. Whether that's far enough who can say but I think his appointment, if it happens, makes a lot of sense.

I'd also say that rather than a lack of ambition it speaks of a long-term approach to the club from the board.

Good post I totally agree with you.

He already has a song:

"Just one Roberto, plays football free. He came from Wigan, in controversy. He came to win us trophies; just like the legends, from the eighties."

Sung to the "one Cornetto" tune.

I can hear it on the Holte already...

For me Martinez ticks a lot of the boxes...

1) Prem experience.

2) Recent Prem experience

3) Likable manager who players respect

4) Desire to play attractive football

5) Can work with a budget

6) Works with the Board to develop the club. Not just rinse the coffers then run off at the first sign of trouble.

If it's not to be Moyes then RM would get my full backing.

ill give him my full backing too, however the problem is he is not a big enough name to attract high profile players to take us to the next level or to talk the likes of Downing etc into staying. Its a massive negative that outweights all his positives. Its not ambitious in the slightest.

I couldnt agree more.

When Houllier came in and said we are a mid table club 7th - 12th that annoyed more because I thought our ambitions were higher. I can now safely say that mid table and dont get relegated seems to be the new plan

We might as well aim for Di Matteo as well if people think a young promising people who play attractive football is the way forward. He's no worse than Roberto Martinez. He got the sack because obviously West Brom didn't give him enough time (despite promoting them and beating teams like Arsenal away), where as Dave Whelan has given Martinez all the time in the world and it paid off. The same logic could have applied to Matteo too. It's fair to say Hodgson did a better job at West Brom and I'm sure he would have done the same at Wigan if the same scenario arrived.

So how about it. Di Matteo as well? Or am I sensing double standards just because his name isn't floating about?

I would say Di Matteo and Martinez are very similar

We might as well aim for Di Matteo as well if people think a young promising people who play attractive football is the way forward. He's no worse than Roberto Martinez. He got the sack because obviously West Brom didn't give him enough time (despite promoting them and beating teams like Arsenal away), where as Dave Whelan has given Martinez all the time in the world and it paid off. The same logic could have applied to Matteo too. It's fair to say Hodgson did a better job at West Brom and I'm sure he would have done the same at Wigan if the same scenario arrived.

So how about it. Di Matteo as well? Or am I sensing double standards just because his name isn't floating about?

Not at all. Di Matteo is another young manager who plays nice football.

I don't think you understand the point that some people are making. You say that Hodgson did a better job at West Brom? How did Hodgson do at Liverpool again?

There are two sides of this:

1) Get an average/good manager who will establish us in the top half by playing kick-n-run football. Yay. We'll all be loving it. Until we realise that we can't get higher than 7th by playing that style of football.

2) Get a manager who plays with a footballing philosophy, give him time to build a team and instill this philosophy with all HIS players. Then this team will be able to push for greater honours - even if it takes time to build that team.

If we took on a manager like RM and downing didn't want to stay because of it and left but RM then picked up some unknown young players that were the next best thing and he became a great manager who could then attract the best in the world then so what about Downing. Sometimes a risk/gamble needs to be taken to get there. I think most of you a deluded into thinking the club is bigger than it is and that we deserve on merit to be mentioned in the same breath as the top 4's

Ahh the media saying we have no money to spend.

They said the same before we spent £30m in Jan.

Lesson is, the meida know **** all.

Indeed. A part of me still thinks we're in for a big pleasant surprise. Remember January? It was all doom and gloom. Relegation, no money - those were the kind of things we were hearing. Then suddenly, out of the blue, came Darren Bent.

We don't/never have attracted top players though...the best way forward for us is to find the top players when they are young and develop them ourselves.

Exactly - it's CL football and outrageous wages that attract the top players. Anyone think Van Der Vaart went to Spurs because of Harry Redknapp?

I don't think you understand the point that some people are making. You say that Hodgson did a better job at West Brom? How did Hodgson do at Liverpool again?

1) Get an average/good manager who will establish us in the top half by playing kick-n-run football. Yay. We'll all be loving it. Until we realise that we can't get higher than 7th by playing that style of football.

2) Get a manager who plays with a footballing philosophy, give him time to build a team and instill this philosophy with all HIS players. Then this team will be able to push for greater honours - even if it takes time to build that team.

Unfortunately football fans, especially at our club don't have the patience for that and it worries me. We could be 10th 10 games into the season and the fans would already be on his back.

Martinez is a risk, undoubtedly.

But I really like his approach to the game and the way he has Wigan playing. I think it will build on the changes Houllier started to implement. If he can get Wigan playing that sort of pass and move football what can he do with Makoun, Delph, Bannan, Clark, Downing, Bent etc?

I am also massively impressed with his ability to motivate players and cope during 'crunch' games. Unbeaten in the last four under the sort of pressure he was facing? And sticking successfully to the attacking syle of play.

Main doubts for me are over transfers - has he got the contacts and eye for talent required? And is he a big enough draw for the players we want to attract?

Also, defensively Wigan were awful at times last season. That would be a worry given how poor we ourselves were.

But, if we have genuinely ruled out Rafa, with Jol gone and Ancelotti ruled out I think he is a strong, long-term appointment.

I would definitely have him as manager over Schteve or Hughes. Not in terms of achievements to date but in terms of the characteristics above and the way that I'd like to see Villa play. Ultimately I think he could take us just as far as Hughes but it would be a much more enjoyable ride. Whether that's far enough who can say but I think his appointment, if it happens, makes a lot of sense.

I'd also say that rather than a lack of ambition it speaks of a long-term approach to the club from the board.

As regards eye for talent, most definitely.

This is the guy who unearthed gems like Jason Scotland, Angel Rangel, Jordi Gomez and Ferri Bodde.

Who knows whether he can do it higher up in terms of quality.

Can see what you are saying there but its hardly double standards Di Matteo had plently of time at WBA too. Di Matteo lost his job and as a result his stock has fallen. Don't think he has the same record in transfer market and with young players either.

We don't/never have attracted top players though...the best way forward for us is to find the top players when they are young and develop them ourselves.

And sell them when they reach their prime? We also need to buy established stars to convince these younger players the club have ambitions to reach top 4. We havent and as a result have lost our best players 3 years in a row. That philosophy you mention hasnt worked at Arsenal under Wenger, so what makes you think it will work at Villa?

Unfortunately football fans, especially at our club don't have the patience for that and it worries me. We could be 10th 10 games into the season and the fans would already be on his back.

Yeah, that's my worry too.

I'll just continue to stick by whoever is appointed. But I'll definatly make it known that I'm happy with someone like Martinez, if he is appointed!

I'd appoint him just for his flashy suits and his cheeky smile.

10 games? You're far too generous. 3 games, 3 points would see a vocal minority begin their campaign to oust him from the job.

Exactly - it's CL football and outrageous wages that attract the top players. Anyone think Van Der Vaart went to Spurs because of Harry Redknapp?

Well its not outrageous wages with van der Vaart as spurs have a wage cap

Sounds like Randy is after a YES man. No wonder he wouldn't entertain Rafa.

Do people think Martinez would work for Villa? He likes continental style very slow build up from the back. No offense but we have a very uncultured/neanderthal fanbase. I can just imagine the Holte going mad because we weren't going forward quick enough, he even used to get this at Swansea. He's also been on the end of some severe beatings which at Wigan maybe acceptable but at Villa it's a definite no-no. Whilst I have no doubt he is a very dignified man who goes about things the right way, he's never won anything as a player or a manager. I like the idea of building a dynasty but not sure RM is the man for the job.

Dress it up how like - this appointment is a disaster for Aston Villa.

Yes he will have access to better quality players - but the flipside is that these better players are more difficult to manage. I think a bloke with only 4 years management experience will quickly crumble under the pressure.