Italian Football

Troglodyte

nope, internazionale all day

they didnt always have a brilliant team but they had some amazing players in the 90s

zenga, bergomi, brehme, baresi, matthaus, bergkamp, kanu, ronaldo, djorkaeff, klinsmann, sammer, pagliuca, roberto carlos, jonk, winter, zamorano, sforza, angloma, west, simeone, sousa, recoba, baggio

1 hour ago, lapal_fan said:

Unfortunately with Pirlo they let him go about 2/3 years before he was actually declining, and that was Juve's gain

With hindsight, yes. At the time? He finished the 2009/10 season badly and was poor all of 2010/11. Milan won the title that year and he featured in maybe half the games. You can see why they didn't want to give a big contract to someone who was basically turning in to a back up player and was 32 years of age. 

Think the turning point was more Pato's injuries + selling Ibra and Silva.

Probably still 5/6 years away for Serie A as a whole though. Milan and Inter's new owners are happy to spend, but they need to get a few more sponsors in to get around FFP. Roma could have a Juve effect with their new stadium as it'll open up a lot more in terms of revenue of having a self-owned stadium. There's the potential in the clubs there to push on in the co-efficients by 2020 onwards. German football, outside of those 2 seasons from Dortmund, is still pretty much relying on 1 club in the CL. So there's no reason why Serie A can't improve upon that down the line.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

With hindsight, yes. At the time? He finished the 2009/10 season badly and was poor all of 2010/11. Milan won the title that year and he featured in maybe half the games. You can see why they didn't want to give a big contract to someone who was basically turning in to a back up player and was 32 years of age. 

Think the turning point was more Pato's injuries + selling Ibra and Silva.

Probably still 5/6 years away for Serie A as a whole though. Milan and Inter's new owners are happy to spend, but they need to get a few more sponsors in to get around FFP. Roma could have a Juve effect with their new stadium as it'll open up a lot more in terms of revenue of having a self-owned stadium. There's the potential in the clubs there to push on in the co-efficients by 2020 onwards. German football, outside of those 2 seasons from Dortmund, is still pretty much relying on 1 club in the CL. So there's no reason why Serie A can't improve upon that down the line.

I agree with all of that :thumb: 

Pirlo was pretty bad in 11, but.. BUT.. he was greedy I suppose, asking for longer/more when he'd just had a fart of a season.

The sale of Ibra and Silva was like pulling the heart out of the club, you just don't do as well without those players.. I'd probably include Nesta finishing too as he was the last of the 'champions'.  Seedorf not so much, although he still turned it on in the CL. 

Italian football does thankfully appear to be in somewhat of a upwards trajectory though, so hopefully the Milan youngsters can kick on and finish maybe in Europa this season.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

they didnt always have a brilliant team but they had some amazing players in the 90s

zenga, bergomi, brehme, baresi, matthaus, bergkamp, kanu, ronaldo, djorkaeff, klinsmann, sammer, pagliuca, roberto carlos, jonk, winter, zamorano, sforza, angloma, west, simeone, sousa, recoba, baggio

shoo you.. shoo.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Spent his entire career at Meelan.

19 minutes ago, Zatman said:

One thing I always liked about Milan was they tried to play attacking football maybe was Silvio influence on it but they werent your stereotypical Italian team

no matter what Sky would say :blink:

Maybe in his early days. Under Ancelotti Milan missed out on titles because they weren't attacking enough.

19 minutes ago, Zatman said:

btw havent watched Milan in a few years. Did Bacca and Luiz Adriano turn out as flops? I expected Adriano to

Luiz Adriano is bad. Bacca is good but is pretty much a giant cry baby.

Inter being Inter tonight. Treating the Europa League like pre-season friendlies. Need them in the CL for them to be of any use.

11 hours ago, villa4europe said:

My main memory of Inter in the late 90s was a Juve-Inter game when Ronaldo beat 3 men dribbling, got in the penalty area where Pessotto or someone whipped him out....Juve counter attacked, Del Piero dived in the box....and Juventus got the penalty. And won the league by I think two points.

This was 8 years before the whole corruption scandal blew up...

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

btw havent watched Milan in a few years. Did Bacca and Luiz Adriano turn out as flops? I expected Adriano to

Bacca's lost a bit of form recently for club and country but had a very good season last year. Having seen him regularly last two seasons for Milan and Sevilla I actually think he's one of the best finishers around...never seems to miss a one-on-one with the keeper.

Luiz Adriano is dreadful. Nowhere near Milan standard.

11 minutes ago, NoelVilla said:

Milan attacking? Remember when that great team they had in the beginning of the 90's played Gothenburg away. It was like Sacchi forbid them to attack. One of the dullest games ever.

Yeah I was at most of the IFK home games during the 90's, and that game was dull indeed

But the game in Milan was pretty impressive, Marco Van Basten not the least

• Like 1

I always thought they were quite fun to watch in the CL under Ancelotti...they coudl rip teams apart if they felt like it at San Siro especially when Kaka was at his peak. I'm thinking of when they beat Depor 4-1 (before somehow losing the return leg 4-0!) and also Man. United 3-0 in 2007,.

Kaka's decline must be one of the saddest things in football in the last decade. He was amazing about 10 years ago, moved to Real Madrid and barely influenced things.

27 minutes ago, NoelVilla said:

That return leg you mention Chris is one of the games I will always remember. Deportivo will never play like that again.

Friend of mine is a Deportivo ( and Villa) fan, we watched that game together,

They had some team back then. Pandiani, Duscher, Valeron, Fran, Luque, Naybet...

If only they'd been able to keep Rivaldo for a few seasons more.

13 hours ago, NoelVilla said:

That return leg you mention Chris is one of the games I will always remember. Deportivo will never play like that again.

with Carles Gil in the squad anything is possible ;)

Â