Italian Football

Troglodyte

Marcelo Bielsa released a statement confirming why he refused to take over at Lazio, citing broken promises.

The Coach signed a contract several weeks ago and it was deposited with the Lega Serie A, yet Bielsa announced he was ‘resigning’ the role without even arriving in Rome.

Lazio said they intend to sue him for breach of contract, so this evening Bielsa released a statement of his own in Argentina.

The tactician gave Fox Sports in Argentina a copy of his email to Lazio director Igli Tare, dated July 7 2016.

“I wish to communicate that I have decided to leave the role of Coach at your club. The same decision has been made by my collaborators Pablo Quiroga, Diego Reyes, Gabriel Macaya and Rodolfo Diego Flores.

“We make this decision because, despite four weeks of work, we see none of the actions predicted in the plan of action expressly approved by the President Claudio Lotito.

“Taking into account that I had been promised four new signings by July 5 to take part in pre-season training and none arrived, despite that the club made public a contract that they knew full well was no longer viable without reinforcements.

“As things stand today, the situation is of great uncertainty. Considering that in three days the pre-season training is set to start at Auronzo, it is not possible to make any other decision.

“As I made very clear at the time, for my style of work I need time with players to train them properly.

“It is important to note I have no other alternative work offers. We will soon send the documentation confirming we leave this position. Only if made necessary will I clarify my position to the media.”

That last comment was aimed at reports Bielsa changed his mind to take over the Argentina job after the Olympics.

This evening Simone Inzaghi has been called in to negotiate a new one-year contract as Coach.

Marcelo Bielsa quit Lazio after they failed to buy any of his targets, believed to include Enner Valencia, Alexandre Pato and Steve Mandanda.

The Coach released the copy of his email to Lazio director Igli Tare this evening, outlining his reasons for turning down the position.

He claimed the contract signed was no longer valid because the club had failed to sign any of the minimum four requested players by July 5.

According to Sky Sport Italia, the list included goalkeeper Mandanda – who went to Crystal Palace – Sao Paulo centre-back Rodrigo Caio and Lyon full-back Jeremy Morel.

Either Mauricio Isla or Colo Colo and Chile defender Jean Beausejour were requested, along with either West Ham’s Enner Valencia or Newcastle United’s Florian Thauvin.

Pato had been in negotiations with Lazio, but the deal was not done in time.

Bielsa in throwing a wobbler is nothing new especially his ridiculous demands this time by july 5th. Has done it at more than one club that its pathetic. Also he wanted Mandanda who joined Palace July1st and he took over Lazio July 3rd

lets be honest he requested Thauvin and Jean Beausejour. should be sacked on the spot for that 

What's worse is that Lazio are actually in negotiation for Enner and Pato, among others. Maybe Bielsa just doesn't get club football, that the selling club has a say in the timing of such things.

I'm surprised Lazio even wanted him the way he messed them around with the contract in the first place. He's probably burned a few bridges with club football here.

Edited by kurtsimonw

• 1 month later...

http://soccer.nbcsports.com/2016/08/30/sassuolos-victory-over-pescara-reversed-to-3-0-loss/

ILAN (AP) Sassuolo’s victory over Pescara has been reversed to a 3-0 loss.

Sassuolo won Sunday’s Serie A match 2-1 but the league now says it fielded an ineligible player.

The league says the paperwork for the signing of Antonino Ragusa, who played the final 25 minutes, had not been filed by noon the day before the match – as its rules demand.

Sassuolo says it followed the rules and will appeal.

The club was one of four teams to win both its opening matches, along with Genoa, Juventus and Sampdoria.

shame, they started the season quite well. 

• 2 months later...
19 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

Got my Milan derby ticket for next weekend this morning. Couldn't possibly be more excited! 

Watch out for falling scooters.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/9/2016 at 16:51, kurtsimonw said:

Got my Milan derby ticket for next weekend this morning. Couldn't possibly be more excited! 

I went a couple of years ago, there was some great choreo before the game, but the game itself was a bit drab. There was a Nigel De Jong winner for AC, but we enjoyed the beers in Navigli too much to care about the result. Hope it will be a decent game for you.

Edited by steve1986

Milan derby was excellent all round. It was surreal to see the stadium in person, it's just so massive. I think it's because the stands are so steep, but it certainly felt bigger than anywhere I've been before. Got there about 3 hours before kick off and the atmosphere was already really good outside the stadium. It was also nice to see Milan and Inter fans having a bit of banter rather than anything nasty around the stadium. Little penalty shootouts, chant battles, that kind of thing. In the stadium we were sitting in front of some guys who were pretty great once they knew we were English, teaching us chants and buying us drinks. I did like that when he asked where I was from and I replied 'Birmingham', that he immediately asked if I was a Villa fan! The game itself was pretty entertaining, Inter dominated possession and created a lot while Milan were just hitting them on the break. A great strike from Suso made it 1-0, Candreva equalised just after the half with an even better goal. 5 minutes later Suso scored again with a good bit of skill to get round the defender before putting it across Handanovic. Then unfortunately in 92nd minute, really crap defending from the corner from a flick on left Perisic open at the back post.

Definitely going to try and get to the derby again, or maybe a Milan-Juve. 

Edited by kurtsimonw
  • Like 4

I really need to get to the San Siro one day, much jealous looking at those photos Kurt!

Probably my favourite football stadium, I've been to the Bernabeu and Camp Nou. Both fantastic stadiums but the games were one sided and the atmosphere and lack of it reflected that.

San Siro just has that sense of occasion from seeing it on tv, it's time one of the Milan clubs got back in the champions league.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, VillaChris said:

I really need to get to the San Siro one day, much jealous looking at those photos Kurt!

Probably my favourite football stadium, I've been to the Bernabeu and Camp Nou. Both fantastic stadiums but the games were one sided and the atmosphere and lack of it reflected that.

San Siro just has that sense of occasion from seeing it on tv, it's time one of the Milan clubs got back in the champions league.

Milan though obviously..

**** Merde :P 

Gutted about the goal, but on the balance of things, probably a fair result. 

Suso is an odd player, does nothing for 3 games then turns it on and looks like a world beater... hmmm who else does that remind you of?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Yep always preferred Meelan...the kit and that side they had 10 years ago of Cafu, Seedorf, Stam, Maldini, Pirlo, Gattuso, Rui Costa, Sheva and Crespo is one of my all time favourite club sides.

Also a good way to hate Liverpool for stealing the CL from them in 05, it was never a penalty... <_<

I liked that they happily bought players who everyone had thought had passed their peak, and then they just turned it on again.  It's changed quite a lot now.  The policy is young, Italians (Romagnoli looks a very good CB and is only 21 or so), so you don't get a team with the average age of 32, which I loved.

I mean Pippo, Maldini, Gattuso, Pirlo, Ronaldinho, Beckham, Seedorf etc etc were all well into their 30s when they were starring.  Unfortunately with Pirlo they let him go about 2/3 years before he was actually declining, and that was Juve's gain, but man, what a great team :) 

+ Pato :D 

Â