Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

I've just remembered where I got that from - Dara O'Briain had a bit donkeys years ago where he's talking about the Irish rugby team losing a match and being very upset and he goes on to say something along the lines of 'oh they're a bunch of posh clearings in the woods so **** them' iirc.

1 minute ago, Chindie said:

I've just remembered where I got that from - Dara O'Briain had a bit donkeys years ago where he's talking about the Irish rugby team losing a match and being very upset and he goes on to say something along the lines of 'oh they're a bunch of posh clearings in the woods so **** them' iirc.

Just to clarify. The players in the national team will by and large be posh boys yes. My response was to the "normal people don't give a flying ****" and "the average man literally couldn't care less about rugby as it's only toffs that play it". They very much do.

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Probably just playing up to the audience.  That's pretty much true of all European Rugby nations isn't it?

Rugby players drink an absolute **** ton anyway so we'll take their posh rugger buggers.  That'll be enough to tip the balance I'd say.

Just now, sidcow said:

Probably just playing up to the audience.  That's pretty much true of all European Rugby nations isn't it?

I think it's certainly true in England - I doubt there's many England nationals that went to your average comprehensive school. Whether it's true elsewhere I'm unsure. Wales always struck me as the interesting case in the 'home nations' as my impression was rugby was much more widespread amongst everyone than across the border. But I've no idea if that's the case in France, Italy, Georgia etc.

38 minutes ago, Chindie said:

But I've no idea if that's the case in France, Italy, Georgia etc.

The Union vs League class antagonism in France is (or certainly used to be) even more bitter than it is in England. The French RL lads had a reputation for being working-class communists, and it was widely believed that when the Germans invaded, some of the RU  bigwigs sold many of them out to the Gestapo, as a way of settling old scores. Not easily forgiven. 

• Shocked 1

1 minute ago, mjmooney said:

The Union vs League class antagonism in France is (or certainly used to be) even more bitter than it is in England. The French RL lads had a reputation for being working-class communists, and it was widely believed that when the Germans invaded, some of the RU  bigwigs sold many of them out to the Gestapo, as a way of settling old scores. Not easily forgiven. 

I did forget the whole League v Union thing as well. Suffice to say I expect theres more common lads playing League in some parts of the country.

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

No

Certainly not Wales and pretty much not France either

It's the national sport this side of the magic line  that's for sure. Public school boys like Eddie Butler and Alun Wyn Jones still exist of course they do. Llandovery, Monmouth and Christ College Brecon churn out some players, but it's mostly just a bunch of farmers kids and people from all the shitholes in the valleys comprehensive schools n that still playing rugby for Wales.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Seat68 said:

As much as I am a fan of her music, I am not a fan of the cult of Swift, but Taylor Swift missing from that cover is a glaring omission. 

Agreed. Although I probably wouldn't have been able to pick her out of that glamourpuss celebs identity parade, either. 

I'd have done better if it had included (say) Christine Lagarde, Hilary Clinton, Angela Merkel, Helen Mirren, Priti Patel, Greta Thunberg, Tracy Chapman, Chrissie Hynde, Judi Dench, Ellie Simmons, Reeta Chakrabati, Kelly Holmes, Aung San Suu Kyi, etc. 

Not necessarily people I like, and admittedly not 'Vogue' types, but my point is that people (either sex) with 'normal' faces are more easily recognisable than those deemed 'beautiful' by the media. At least they are to me (perhaps because I find fashion/Hollywood/TV/pop of little interest). 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Agreed. Although I probably wouldn't have been able to pick her out of that glamourpuss celebs identity parade, either. 

I'd have done better if it had included (say) Christine Lagarde, Hilary Clinton, Angela Merkel, Helen Mirren, Priti Patel, Greta Thunberg, Tracy Chapman, Chrissie Hynde, Judi Dench, Ellie Simmons, Reeta Chakrabati, Kelly Holmes, Aung San Suu Kyi, etc. 

Not necessarily people I like, and admittedly not 'Vogue' types, but my point is that people (either sex) with 'normal' faces are more easily recognisable than those deemed 'beautiful' by the media. At least they are to me (perhaps because I find fashion/Hollywood/TV/pop of little interest). 

According to your list Kate Moss is in there. Prior to your post, I'd have thought I could have spotted her... still can't

I wonder if @chrisp65can spot her as he's clearly shagged her at a Primal Scream gig from what he was saying :D 

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

I've seen that argument before.

I collect action figures, like very high detail action men, usually based on movie characters, the kind of thing that a photo of one might actually fool you for a moment that it's the real person sometimes. And I follow a few places that review them. One of the things you'll often see is people criticising a figure based on it not looking like the actor or being slightly off, and it's particularly true for a lot of female characters. A few reviewers claim that the reason these female figures are often thought to have bad likenesses is because all 'beautiful' people have similar features which means getting a likeness is much more difficult because the differences are so small and the effect of a small inaccuracy is amplified.

I'm not sure I buy that, per se, I'm fairly good at recognising faces and can see that most people don't have similar features really. What I would say is that that glamour trends do tend to homogenate people and that counteracts the unique features of many faces. It also homogenates colours - if you took that Vogue cover and blurred the detail out, you'd end up with a very limited palette of hair and complexion colours with only a couple of outliers - outside of those outliers everyone is to some degree a shade of honeyed brown and all the hair is on the same brown palette. The reality is without the makeup and hair products that spread of famous faces is much more pointedly diverse.

• Like 1

I’ve stayed in the Ibis (Dean Street?) and had a giant John Lennon stencil on the wall over my bed. I’ve stayed at the MalMaisson and they had a yellow submarine suspended from the ceiling.

You do wonder, how long will it go on? Will it still be like this in another 60 years? Or will it mostly be the new Klopp based religion.

31 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I’ve stayed in the Ibis (Dean Street?) and had a giant John Lennon stencil on the wall over my bed. I’ve stayed at the MalMaisson and they had a yellow submarine suspended from the ceiling.

You do wonder, how long will it go on? Will it still be like this in another 60 years? Or will it mostly be the new Klopp based religion.

Dale St and that’s an Ibis Styles, get you :D 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bickster said:

Dale St and that’s an Ibis Styles, get you :D 

Corner room with river views in the Pullman last time.

Living like a drug baron.

• Haha 1

Â