Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

I was wondering if anyone knew the following to be true.

From today's Guardian.

When the black bluesman Leadbelly was toured around by his sponsor, John A Lomax, for an audience of white liberals between the wars, he was made to wear prison stripes and stick to miserabilist heritage blues. What he really wanted to do was wear a nice suit and perform hotel jazz.

Lomax's interest was in traditional repertoire, which is why he was recording in prisons - No radio, and older inmates wouldn't be aware of Jazz at all.

So yeah, he wouldn't have been interested in taking Leadbelly out to play Jazz. I'm not sure about the clothing bit.

Here's a good article Encounter: Lead Belly Wows the Lomaxes

His parents christened him Huddie William Ledbetter in 1888, but his prison pals later dubbed him Lead Belly and the nickname stuck. A strong, stocky black man from Louisiana, he sang in juke joints and dance halls around Shreveport and East Texas. His voice was powerful and he played the 12-string guitar like a virtuoso, but he also possessed a hot temper that frequently landed him in jail.

In Texas in 1918, he killed a man in a fight over a woman and was sentenced to 30 years at hard labor. Six years later, when Governor Pat Neff visited the Shaw prison farm, Lead Belly sang for him, ending his performance with a song asking Neff to pardon him....

Edited by blandy
extract of article added.
  • Like 1

Lomax's interest was in traditional repertoire, which is why he was recording in prisons - No radio, and older inmates wouldn't be aware of Jazz at all.

So yeah, he wouldn't have been interested in taking Leadbelly out to play Jazz. I'm not sure about the clothing bit.

Here's something I can't get to cut & paste into a quote

I was wondering whether my initial perception that Lomax exploited Leadbelly was correct and this seems to be confirm that.

It seems likely that Leadbelly knew there was a better living to be made playing jazz in an hotel than being presented as an historical artefact for the political interest of white liberals. 

My view of Lomax definitely was naive.

Why when people are expected to wait for cars to cross the road (which is fair enough) are they also expected to wait for cars to cross the pavement when pulling off drives etc?

If I'm coming out of my drive and there are pedestrians approaching I always reverse back up the drive to let them pass.

Why when people are expected to wait for cars to cross the road (which is fair enough) are they also expected to wait for cars to cross the pavement when pulling off drives etc?

No. And they aren't expected to wait for traffic to stop to cross roads either. Priority always goes to the more vulnerable road user. Self preservation is what makes people wait for a break in the traffic. If a child walking along the pavement in front of you steps into the road, then as a driver you better have left enough space and time to be able to form a defence of due care if it becomes necessary.

If somebody pulls out across a pavement I'm walking on, I'll go out of my way to stand really close to the car and block their view of whether anything is coming down the road. Slowing both of us down. Pavement rage.

• Like 1

kenneth-williams.jpg

Does anyone remember these adverts from the 90's, they would come on before movies and at the start and end of ad breaks.  I'm sure they were for crisps or something?

There would be a photo of someone with their mouth cut away and someone elses mouth in it's place??  Driving me mad!

EDIT - Found them, it was Doritos during ITV movies.  Loved them as a kid but they haven't aged well....

Edited by troon_villan

How often is it a genuine mistake when a cashier short-changes you.

I was at a festival a few years ago, and got some food from one of the stalls, When I paid for my food, I was only give change back for £5, rather than £10. I noticed straight away, and voiced my concerns, in a polite way. The person who served me, totally blanked me, and moved to the back of the stall out of sight. It was only me then kicking off, that someone else on the stall acknowledged me, and handed over the rest of my change. No apology or anything.  

Edited by dAVe80

How often do you accidentally get given too much change?

It should be a very similarly frequent occurrence.

Thinking about it, it probably does even out.

I was at a festival a few years ago, and got some food from one of the stalls, When I paid for my food, I was only give change back for £5, rather than £10. I noticed straight away, and voiced my concerns, in a polite way. The person who served me, totally blanked me, and I moved to the back of the stall out of sight. It was only me then kicking off, that someone else on the stall acknowledged me, and handed over the rest of my change. No apology or anything.  

I bet there are plenty of opportunities for that at festivals.

Google received more than 345 million requests to remove links to copyrighted material last year - up from just 62 in 2008.

how many people are they employing to deal with all these requests ???

Google received more than 345 million requests to remove links to copyrighted material last year - up from just 62 in 2008.

Zero humans and one bot if their policy on content for advertising is anything to go by.

• Like 1

Zero humans and one bot if their policy on content for advertising is anything to go by.

googlebot-noindex.jpg

I was at a festival a few years ago, and got some food from one of the stalls, When I paid for my food, I was only give change back for £5, rather than £10. I noticed straight away, and voiced my concerns, in a polite way. The person who served me, totally blanked me, and moved to the back of the stall out of sight. It was only me then kicking off, that someone else on the stall acknowledged me, and handed over the rest of my change. No apology or anything.
You bought food from a festival and there was change from a fiver!? Edited by Wainy316
  • Like 1

Â