Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

When I was a tad younger I always wondered what would happen if you drilled straight through earth, obviously it will never happen but I heard an interesting stat on the radio today. If you dug an hole straight through the middle of earth and jumped down it, it would take you just over 48 mins to come out the otherside. So in reality were only 48mins away from the people on the otherside of the world.

The earth diameter is 7,918 miles (12742 km) You'd have to fall roughly 10 times faster than sound to make that distance in 1 hour. (or am I missing something here)

acceleration

I'm not going to do the maths. Levi?

• Like 1

I aint got a clue mate, I'm just going off some radio 2 presenter who was giving out facts. I imagine you would pick up a hell of a lot of speed by free falling but I don't know how accurate that information is. Maybe he's wrong.

When I was a tad younger I always wondered what would happen if you drilled straight through earth, obviously it will never happen but I heard an interesting stat on the radio today. If you dug an hole straight through the middle of earth and jumped down it, it would take you just over 48 mins to come out the otherside. So in reality were only 48mins away from the people on the otherside of the world.

The earth diameter is 7,918 miles (12742 km) You'd have to fall roughly 10 times faster than sound to make that distance in 1 hour. (or am I missing something here)

acceleration

I'm not going to do the maths. Levi?

I think we are all awaiting Levi's post.

At a certain point because of gravity wouldn't you need to float rather than fall? Confusing for me to think about. When you arrive out the other side you wouldn't drop out you'd need to sort of fly out.

At a certain point because of gravity wouldn't you need to float rather than fall? Confusing for me to think about. When you arrive out the other side you wouldn't drop out you'd need to sort of fly out.

At one point wouldn't gravity start pushing you back? You'd be stuck in the centre of the earth bouncing back and forth.

• Like 2

No, you will accelerate due to gravity all the way to the centre at which point you will start to decelerate due to the same gravity. The rate of acceleration will decrease based on the amount of Earth's mass "behind" you. You will have zero acceleration at the centre of the Earth, but a heck of a lot of speed.

I was going to work out the maximum speed, because I suspect that the heat from air resistance would incinerate you, probably before the heat of the core did.

• Like 2

Acceleration would require it to be a vacuum right? As opposed to the air when jumping from a plane? (Physics was never my strong point )

edit: no virtual beer answer, just the general falling bit discussed

Edited by Tegis

When there is air, you reach terminal velocity and stop accelerating. Therefore the DJ was wrong. Air resistance would stop it being true. I suspect that figure was based on a frictionless object.

I mentioned air resistance and also forgot about terminal velocity, so I was dumb.

I haven't read it and won't understand the equations i don't think, but here's a write up about the subject.

Although many cartoons suggest that if you dig a deep hole straight down through the Earth, you will end up in China. The truth is that starting a hole in North America will take you to the Indian Ocean. In order to emerge in China, you would need to start digging in Argentina.

Total recall 2012 says hello :)
  • Like 1

Depends on the female and depends on the poster giving the 'Like' ;)

Oh I just saw you did specify a lovely lady. 

Edited by Ginko

Â