Do you think the England manager should be English?

TRS-T

Do you think that the England manager should be English?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think that the England manager should be English?

• Yes, without a doubt
    • Should be the best man for the job regardless of nationality
    • No, English managers aren't good enough

Cant agree with Carragher at all, but then is he playing this super passionate England player these days in the hope that we all might forget how and why he retired from international football for so long?

I stand by the point I made on the first page of this thread. There is absolutely nothing in the laws of the game which state you even have to have a manager. Football is about what happens on the pitch and I am a firm believer in that all England players should be English, but how you chose to support those players with off the field staff is completely up to you. Carragher saying that having an Italian manager is like having an Italian goalkeer is **** bullshit, by that logic you could say that having a Polish lady to wash the kits would be like having a Polish striker scoring goals for you (a strategy which has been fruitful for Germany in recent years I have to add) and that isnt true either. The distinction between playing staff and non playing staff is where nationality is important, everything else is just misguided pride.

Im not sure, I like the thought of England manager being English and its good seing Martin Johnson managing the rugby team it would be great to see a manager with passion for england. However I do think if Arsene Wenger was England manager wed do well hed get us playing football again.. My first choice is Rednob though.

No. For a big country you need a manager from the same country. England created the game. I remember Sven-Göran Eriksson playing against Sweden with England. The national anthem is played and what do you do?[Wry smile]. That shows you’re not completely comfortable. If I’m England manager and I play France which anthem do I sing? I manage in England and I hope I can help English football but the national team should be managed by an English guy.

Arsene Wenger

I think national teams are: England for the English and Portugal for the Portuguese.

I will one day play against England with my Portugal but Portugal has to wait a long time.

Jose Mourinho

The argument is should England, one of the larger footballing nations, have a foreign manager. You don't see it in Italy, Germany, Spain etc. (to my knowledge).

Brazil - Mano Menezes (Brazilian)

Italy - Cesare Prandelli (Italian)

Germany - Joachim Löw (German)

Argentina - Alejandro Sabella (Argentinian)

France - Laurent Blanc (French)

Spain - Vicente del Bosque (Spanish)

Holland - Bert van Marwijk (Dutch)

Uruguay - Óscar Tabárez (Uruguayan)

Portugal - Paulo Bento (Portuguese)

England - Fabio Capello (Italian) :oops:

The argument is should England, one of the larger footballing nations, have a foreign manager. You don't see it in Italy, Germany, Spain etc. (to my knowledge).

Nope. Germany tend to go with the German manager/non German players option instead. Their top goalscorer and guy who nearly broke Ronaldo's world cup record is Mirsoslav Klose, a Polish guy who speaks Polish when he is at home with his wife and kids. Lukas Podolski, a player pushing 100 caps and 50 goals for the German national team at the tender age of 26 is another Polish guy with a Polish wife who speaks Polish at home and has chosen to raise his kids with Polish as their first language. But at least Germany dont have a foreign manager.

Nope. Germany tend to go with the German manager/non German players option instead. Their top goalscorer and guy who nearly broke Ronaldo's world cup record is Mirsoslav Klose, a Polish guy who speaks Polish when he is at home with his wife and kids. Lukas Podolski, a player pushing 100 caps and 50 goals for the German national team at the tender age of 26 is another Polish guy with a Polish wife who speaks Polish at home and has chosen to raise his kids with Polish as their first language. But at least Germany dont have a foreign manager.

Germany have a German manager and the vast majority of their players are German.

I consider Klose and Podolski to be both German and Polish.

Cacau however I do not consider to be German.

I don't see that it matters who takes it over. They'll come in, fail to live up to the borderline insane level of expectation placed upon them before being labelled shit and sent on their way. And that is how it will always be until the majority of South America and Western Europe falls into the sea.

No manager is going to have the resources or the power to overhaul the entire footballing system to produce technically gifted and tactically intelligent English players and even that isn't going to be a guarantee of success.

Worrying about who is going to be England manager is as futile as worrying about which manager can lead Bolton to the Champions League final with no additional resources.

agree with carragher even though he was a knob for turning his back on his country

hate having a foreign manager in charge of england, it should be the same rules as having english players in the team. id take a conference manager over a foreign one, its a big reason why i barely give a shit about england these days

Really not bothered who gets the job, if it goes to a foreign coach like Ancelotti, then so be it. The fact is that if it has to go to an English manager, then it pretty much has to go to Redknap by default, which I wouldnt be overly impressed with.

Germany have a German manager and the vast majority of their players are German.

I consider Klose and Podolski to be both German and Polish.

Cacau however I do not consider to be German.

Germany still have a fair few players who aren't really properly German. Sure, they have a German manager, but I'd rather have a foreign manager and a team that's all English as opposed to what Germany have. Obviously I'd like to have Germany's success but that's got nothing to do with nationality.

^ :)

In an ideal world the national manager would be English. However, I'd rather qualify for the tournament with a foreign manager than see an idiot like McClaren fail to qualify.

Brazil - Mano Menezes (Brazilian)

Italy - Cesare Prandelli (Italian)

Germany - Joachim Löw (German)

Argentina - Alejandro Sabella (Argentinian)

France - Laurent Blanc (French)

Spain - Vicente del Bosque (Spanish)

Holland - Bert van Marwijk (Dutch)

Uruguay - Óscar Tabárez (Uruguayan)

Portugal - Paulo Bento (Portuguese)

England - Fabio Capello (Italian) :oops:

To be fair though the teams you've listed, bar perhaps France, are world class teams. England are very much second tier and as such should be bracketed with your Russia's (managed by a Dutchman) & Greece's (managed by a Portuguese).

As always it's results rather then nationality which should be the determining factor in deciding to appoint or sack a national manager, not nationality.

Â