Do you think the England manager should be English?

TRS-T

Do you think that the England manager should be English?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think that the England manager should be English?

• Yes, without a doubt
    • Should be the best man for the job regardless of nationality
    • No, English managers aren't good enough

Just wanted to get people's views on whether they think that the England national team should be managed by an Englishmen?

Obviously we have an Italian manager in charge atm but he'll be leaving after Euro 2012.

In August last year the FA said that the next England manager will be English - http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/8915481.stm

However this month, they've said that the next England manager may not be English - http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/may/13/england-manager-not-definitely-english-fa

Harry Redknapp is the current favourite to replace Capello after Euro 2012 - http://www.oddschecker.com/football/football-specials/england-specials/next-permanent-manager

I personally believe that the England manager should be English or it kind of defeats the whole point of international football.

It's supposed to be about one nation vs another.

If we have an Italian manager, we may as well have Italian players as well.

I kind of understand if you are a small nation and you get a manager from a bigger footballing nation (e.g. Bryan Robson manager of Thailand.)

But we are England. One of the biggest footballing nations in the world. We should have our own manager.

I would rather try and fail with an Englishman than succeed with a foreigner in charge.

There's no pride in winning with a foreign manager in charge.

They are just my thoughts.

So what do you guys think?

Also.

I would rather try and fail with an Englishman than succeed with a foreigner in charge.

There's no pride in winning with a foreign manager in charge.

If we won the World Cup with a former bongo player who is German but was born and raised in Timbuktu and got the job by winning his national lottery. I wouldnt care at all. I would be ecstatic.

part of me thinks it should be the best man for the job part of me thinks that he should be english

then another part of me knows for a fact that regardless of who it is the media will slaughter him and he'll pick out of form utd players for every squad and ill get bored of england all over again

In the Premier League we had the Top 4:

Man U

Liverpool

Arsenal

Chelsea

At international level we have the Top 9:

England

Argentina & Brazil

France & Italy

Germany & Holland

Spain & Portugal

We are the only nation in the Top 9 to have a foreign manager.

The big footballing nations don't appoint foreign managers.

We should adopt this policy.

Yeah Redknapp is the best candidate for the job. Id say its nailed on he'll be next England manager. The media would go batshit if anybody else got it. He's a good manager and he's English. Ticks all the boxes.

But for me. In general (not just this time round) I dont care if the guy is English and I never understood all the push for an English manager. It ended up with McClaren last time.

Man U

Liverpool

Arsenal

Chelsea

England

Argentina & Brazil

France & Italy

Germany & Holland

Spain & Portugal

Again. It's the FA's fault. And not because they dont choose English managers. It's their fault that theres never (apart from now with 'Arry) a strong English candidate in the first place.

Harry will be the next English manager - the media will rave about it - but we should really be asking that the biggest job in the country only has one real candidate.

Its because coaching in this country is shit.

part of me thinks it should be the best man for the job part of me thinks that he should be english

then another part of me knows for a fact that regardless of who it is the media will slaughter him and he'll pick out of form utd players for every squad and ill get bored of england all over again

If theres one season not to say this about England. It's this one, considering that it was instead the media have slaughtered him and he's picked out of form ex and current Villa players for every squad.

Man U

Liverpool

Arsenal

Chelsea

England

Argentina & Brazil

France & Italy

Germany & Holland

Spain & Portugal

I'm not sure it's worked for the likes of Portugal, Argentina ..

On your point though, it's because we haven't had many good English managers, look at the English managers, Hoddle, Keegan, McClaren etc...hardly a surprise they all failed.

The last success was Bobby Robson who was a great manager.

The next manager is going to be Redknapp, it looks pretty set, why are you moaning? He's proven he can be successful and he's going to get the job, who else has proven anything??

All the other nations have successful managers to pick from, England don't have too many, Redknapp is one.

I really don't get the England manager must be English argument.

There is nothing in the laws of the game which even says you have to have a manager. Football is about your players on the pitch vs their players on the pitch. How you chose to support those players (managers, coaches, physios etc) is entirely up to you.

Never heard of Top 9. Maybe top 6.

England and Portugal seem out of place if that is only about internationals and not clubs.

I agree, if at all possible, the manager should be same nationality.

I'd say we are the strongest nations in the world.

When it comes to a World Cup or Euros, I don't really see anyone out of that group winning the tournie (I know Greece won in 2004 but I doubt it would happen again)

Man U

Liverpool

Arsenal

Chelsea

England

Argentina & Brazil

France & Italy

Germany & Holland

Spain & Portugal

I don't think you've quite thought this through.

The only time since the 60s that Portugal have been a force in International football was with a foreign manager.

Â