Do you think the England manager should be English?

TRS-T

Do you think that the England manager should be English?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think that the England manager should be English?

• Yes, without a doubt
    • Should be the best man for the job regardless of nationality
    • No, English managers aren't good enough

Never heard of Top 9. Maybe top 6.

England and Portugal seem out of place if that is only about internationals and not clubs.

I agree, if at all possible, the manager should be same nationality.

I'd say we are the strongest nations in the world.

When it comes to a World Cup or Euros, I don't really see anyone out of that group winning the tournie (I know Greece won in 2004 but I doubt it would happen again)

That is because it includes the top 6. :)

I can´t see Portugal winning it and I very much doubt England can too.

If we are only talking present time, it would make more sense to talk about top 1. Spain.

Where's the "I don't give a ****" option?

I believe you can chose that option by not clicking onto the thread ;)

Bollocks you :lol:

I want my option added

Never heard of Top 9. Maybe top 6.

England and Portugal seem out of place if that is only about internationals and not clubs.

I agree, if at all possible, the manager should be same nationality.

I'd say we are the strongest nations in the world.

When it comes to a World Cup or Euros, I don't really see anyone out of that group winning the tournie (I know Greece won in 2004 but I doubt it would happen again)

That is because it includes the top 6. :)

I can´t see Portugal winning it and I very much doubt England can too.

If we are only talking present time, it would make more sense to talk about top 1. Spain.

Portugal would be 9th in the top 9 (never won a World Cup or Euros) but I still think they're in a different league to the rest of the best.

England could win it, just we haven't done so recently.

If you were to rank it historically

Brazil - 5 World Cups

Italy - 4 World Cups, 1 Euro title

Germany - 3 World Cups, 3 Euro titles

Argentina - 2 World Cups

France - 1 World Cup, 2 Euro titles

Spain - 1 World Cup, 2 Euro titles

England - 1 World Cup

Holland - 1 Euro title

Portugal

That would put us 7th

So maybe Portugal don't really belong in this elite group since they haven't won anything?

But I still regard them as a big footballing nation :notsure:

I really don't get the England manager must be English argument.

There is nothing in the laws of the game which even says you have to have a manager. Football is about your players on the pitch vs their players on the pitch. How you chose to support those players (managers, coaches, physios etc) is entirely up to you.

I agree. Having a foreign manager is not like having foreign players.

If you were to rank it historically

Brazil - 5 World Cups

Italy - 4 World Cups, 1 Euro title

Germany - 3 World Cups, 3 Euro titles

Argentina - 2 World Cups

France - 1 World Cup, 2 Euro titles

Spain - 1 World Cup, 2 Euro titles

England - 1 World Cup

Holland - 1 Euro title

An interesting list that, curiously, only contains one nation that have employed a non-national as national team manager.

Basically 'top' footballing nations use their own management/coaching teams.

We have tried with big name foreigners and failed abysmally, so perhaps better to have an all English failure than a pigeon English failure who doesn't even speak the language well enough to communicate with the players.

The problem is that so many mediocre foreigners are employed to enhance their personal CVs in the Premier League, handed tens and hundreds of millions of pounds to achieve success. The revolving door of idiots running the FA see that and want to be seen as 'progressive'

Couldn't care if the manager was a martian, as long as he/she/it does the job.

What about Martian O'Neill?

Nah, he's too much like E.T.; will **** off home at the first sign of trouble.

There is nothing in the laws of the game which even says you have to have a manager. Football is about your players on the pitch vs their players on the pitch. How you chose to support those players (managers, coaches, physios etc) is entirely up to you.

I feel ashamed to have a foreign manager.

When you see Stuart Pearce singing the national anthem, and you have Fabio Capello just standing there it's embarrassing.

Obviously it's not against the laws of football to have a foreign manager (maybe it should be?) but it's all about the principle.

If the players are English, the management should be English as well.

That's the whole point of international football.

That's what makes it different from club football.

Thing is though football isn't decided on the passion with which you sing, hell even Eurovision isn't decided by singing ability.

Stuart Pearce might belt out the anthem, he might represent our national pride and passion but ultimately he is a rather average manager.

Don't get me wrong I would rather have an English manager because I think they understand the mentality of our players better than those from overseas but not to the point that I would want someone like Pearce in charge because of his passport.

I'm pretty much past being bothered about the England side these days though so don't even know why I'm passing comment :D

Where's the "I don't give a ****" option?
This.

For years I would have said "must be English". But now I just don't care about the England team.

If I had to choose, I'd say all national teams should be managed by someone of that nationality - same qualification rules as for players.

When you see Stuart Pearce singing the national anthem, and you have Fabio Capello just standing there it's embarrassing.

Obviously it's not against the laws of football to have a foreign manager (maybe it should be?) but it's all about the principle.

I dont buy into the "passionate = good" thing either. When Arsenal were smashing everybody into oblivion everybody was saying how Wenger's more measured, even professor-like approach was the way to win things instead of bouncing up and down on the touchline like a nutter. Just because you dont rant and rave doesnt mean you dont care.

I dont buy into the "passionate = good" thing either. When Arsenal were smashing everybody into oblivion everybody was saying how Wenger's more measured, even professor-like approach was the way to win things instead of bouncing up and down on the touchline like a nutter. Just because you dont rant and rave doesnt mean you dont care.

They don't have to be passionate.

Just English.

Trappatoni sings the Irish anthem.

So that makes their situation ok presumably? How about if Capello belted it out like Meat Loaf, would that show enough passion?

Or, is the anthem thing a tedious red herring that doesn't actually matter?

Just English.

You sound like one of those Newcastle fans who thinks only a Geordie has it in him to be the manager at St James' Park.

That's different since that's club football.

This is international football.

All the players have to be English.

Should be the same for the management.

It's not really England if we have an Italian in charge of England.

I don't wanna with the help of the Italians.

I want us to win by ourselves.

And even if we don't.

I'd rather try and fail with an Englishman, than succeed with a foreigner.

The passion for your country is what makes international football special, and different to club football.

Just English.

This post is 100% Nick Griffin Approved.

You think I'm racist?

Next you'll be saying I'm racist because I want all the players to be English...

Next you'll be saying I'm racist because I want all the players to be English...

Well... yes. :)

Nah, I'm just yanking your chain (though I do think it's an ubsurd notion that the national team manager has to be said nationality, but hey if we all had the same opinion life would be boring, right?).

Â