Do you think the England manager should be English?

TRS-T

Do you think that the England manager should be English?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think that the England manager should be English?

• Yes, without a doubt
    • Should be the best man for the job regardless of nationality
    • No, English managers aren't good enough

Czechs, Sweden and Hungary

We are closer to Germany and Italy than these nations.

I mean Hungary seriously?

They haven't qualified for a major tournament in 25 years...

England are a 'top' football team in the same way Turkey, Croatia, Denmark, Russia, Greece, the Czech Rep. and Sweden are. After all these are teams which have in recent memory won, finished second and/or third in the big tournaments, far, far ahead of England.

Blues won a trophy.

Doesn't make them a bigger club than Arsenal.

Oi TRS-T, I agree with you that we is a top team but there is no way we is on par with da likes of Brazil and Germany, innit.

Sorry mate but England just aren't as good as you think they is innit bruv.

:idea:

I mentioned Hungary in tongue in cheek, but the point still stands that they have been in 2 world cup finals, which is more then England. As for Sweden I would say the 2 countries have performed at an almost equal level over the last 20 years. Sweden got to the semis in 92 and 94 as well as the knock out stages in 2002, 2004 and 2006. The Czechs got to a final in 96 and semi in 2004. In fact I would Sweden slightly ahead of England and the Czechs slightly based on the last 20 years. England nowhere Germany or Italy's level both in recent times or in all time. Ridiculous.

Excluding Hungary, I'd disagree with you.

We are light years behind Germany.

You know since '66, Germany have been in 13 major finals? Not finals tournaments, the actual final of a major competition.

Thirteen!

We've been in a big fat zero.

We have a world cup win, which puts us ahead of those nations in the quote. But that's about it

I mean Hungary seriously?

They haven't qualified for a major tournament in 25 years...

England are a 'top' football team in the same way Turkey, Croatia, Denmark, Russia, Greece, the Czech Rep. and Sweden are. After all these are teams which have in recent memory won, finished second and/or third in the big tournaments, far, far ahead of England.

Blues won a trophy.

Doesn't make them a bigger club than Arsenal.

Oi TRS-T, I agree with you that we is a top team but there is no way we is on par with da likes of Brazil and Germany, innit.

Sorry mate but England just aren't as good as you think they is innit bruv.

:idea:

You talk a good game bigging up your national team but it's not enough to convince. England need to have a good tournament sometime soon to be again mentioned in the same breath as the big boys you compare England with who've been winning and losing at the business end of tournaments while Englands squad are already at the beach.

As it stands, qualifying for this Euro Championship after failing to qualify for the last one will be an achievement in itself.

England were a decent enough tournament side there for a while in the early - mid 1990s. But not so much these days and definitely not in the European Championships.

I'm not overly convinced Capello will do great things next summer with his team. Do you?

Excluding Hungary, I'd disagree with you.

We are light years behind Germany.

You know since '66, Germany have been in 13 major finals? Not finals tournaments, the actual final of a major competition.

Thirteen!

We've been in a big fat zero.

We have a world cup win, which puts us ahead of those nations in the quote. But that's about it

I know, you gotta respect Germany.

I'd say they are Europe's most successful nation in international football, ahead of Italy.

I'm not overly convinced Capello will do great things next summer with his team. Do you?

well he would prefer an English coach so he would prefer to get rid of Capello for McLaren or Redknob or something

well he would prefer an English coach so he would prefer to get rid of Capello for McLaren or Redknob or something

There's nothing wrong with wanting an English manager for the England team.

There is something wrong with letting nationality play that big a part though. Yeah fair enough I can kind of understand why nationality might come into the equation for some people, but to base your choice around it is ridiculous.

There is something wrong with letting nationality play that big a part though. Yeah fair enough I can kind of understand why nationality might come into the equation for some people, but to base your choice around it is ridiculous.

Not really this is international football not club football.

I guess you also think it's ridiculous that all the players have to be English...

I guess you also think it's ridiculous that all the players have to be English...

How is having a foreign manager in any way comparable to having foreign players?

You praise Germany for having a German manager and being successful, yet look at how many of their players aren't German. Why is it ok for a team to have lots of players that aren't from that country so long as they have a manager from that country but not the other way around?

How is having a foreign manager in any way comparable to having foreign players?

You praise Germany for having a German manager and being successful, yet look at how many of their players aren't German. Why is it ok for a team to have lots of players that aren't from that country so long as they have a manager from that country but not the other way around?

I'm against Cacau playing for Germany but don't mind Klose and Podolski as I think you could class them as Germans really.

The manager is in charge of the team.

I do not want a foreign manager in charge of England.

It defeats the whole point of international football.

England (Capello) vs Italy (Prandelli) is just morally wrong.

England (Redknapp) vs Italy (Prandelli) is much better.

Then it's actually the English vs the Italians.

English players, English manager, English coaches, English physios, English doctors, English fans vs Italians players, Italian manager, Italian coaches, Italian physios, Italians doctors, Italian fans.

International is different to club football and that's what makes it special.

Let's keep it that way.

Id much prefer an Englishmen in charge of our team, and i think a same nationality manager should be a rule when any top 30 nation in the world appoints a manager. Other nations may need to be helped through their development so yes, a foreign manager may be needed, but for me the idea is the best of one country against the baest of another, including all staff IMO. If someone takes citizenship then thats fine as they are commiting to that country.

As for the next manager the only Englishman I can think of who deserves it is Hodgson. Boring as hell I know but I dont think Redknapp has done to show his ability to get the best out of a set group, he needs to buy his own players. For me he hasnt done enough with a restricted set of players to justify teh job imo though I admit he is probably the better man motivator once he has his players.

Hodgson has shown on several occasions with a restricted choice of players that he can get the best out of them

Let me ask you this then - would you be ok with foreigners playing for England (like what happens with Germany) under an English manager?

No.

English players, English manager, English assistant manager, English coaches, English physios, English doctors English kitmen, English groundsmen etc

Harry Redknapp will be next England manager.

Even today when they asked Jamie Redknapp if Capello should be given a new contract he said 'absolutely not, it's time we had an England manager'. His eyes kinda said 'nah, me old man wants it.'

Harry Redknapp

Roy Hodgson

Alan Pardew

Neil Warnock

Steve Bruce

Sam Allardyce

Who would you give the nod to ruin their career/reputation if it's got to be an Englishman?

Harry Redknapp.

But I'd take any of them over a foreign manager.

Big Sam or Mourinho?

Big Sam everyday of the week.

Â