dudevillaisnice

40 minutes ago, bobzy said:

They were probably happy for us to have the ball in wide areas as we’d be crossing for Watkins vs Tarkowski and Keane. As much as Digne had a decent game, the only real threat we had from him was Diaby’s volley - looked like poor defending.

Their tactics seemed to want to nullify the centre of the pitch thinking their defenders could deal with the forward threat. I don’t think there’s a massive amount wrong with that. 

Digne put a good cross in for the  Torres header when Watkins collided with the post. 

In the first half, Dyche had his two centre backs set up like a pair of NFL punters, every time they got ball ... boom... 60 yards down the pitch. Probably because DCL was playing and Ming's wasn't. Retro 1980s stuff.

On 23/08/2023 at 06:44, Leeroy said:

I still remember lack of sympathy when we went down seven years ago from the media and opposition fans and I recall Everton fans being the worst. Dismissing us a cr*p team (true, but so are they now) but also taking the p*ss out of us for comparing ourselves to them and thinking they were bigger than us.

If you personally don't like Everton fair enough, however they as a fanbase were quite empathetic during that relegation season. In fact they were the only away fans that clapped us when we sang 'we want our villa back'.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, The Moustache of Teale said:

Other teams revelling in your demise can be looked on as a form of compliment in my opinion. It shows that you’re relevant. The bigger they are, the harder they fall and all that. We took the piss out of Newcastle big style when we sent them down - would we have reserved the same treatment for, say, Southampton? 

Fans of other teams taking the piss is part and parcel of football.

Personally, I have no real axe to grind with Everton and reading their forum, there’s an air of resignation around the club like there was with us in our dark times. I’d far rather reserve my energy for the hatred of multiple other teams (Sky 6, SHA etc) before them. 

To be fair I didn't agree with what some of our fans did when Newcastle went down and they've never forgotten about it, although ours was more banter taken too far whereas with Everton there seemed to be complete indifference and even pleasure to what we were going through despite being a big traditional club like them. And if you look on their forum even now when they have a really bad team at present some posters still look down their noses at us.

Don't hate them, great club who are currently suffering like we did a few years ago, but this not being relegated in over 70 years is the one thing they hold over us and I think relegation will do them good given they are just circling the drain currently going nowhere and relegation gives them a chance to reset even if financially of course it will hit them hard initially.

22 hours ago, Nigel said:

If you personally don't like Everton fair enough, however they as a fanbase were quite empathetic during that relegation season. In fact they were the only away fans that clapped us when we sang 'we want our villa back'.

If they did that then fair enough (I wasn't at that game) but many of the ones I came across were arrogant and dismissive and didn't seem to care about our suffering. Not saying we should rub it in now but don't see why we should be so sympathetic to them when they didn't show the same level of affection a few years back to us.

But of course a strong Everton is good for the Premier League, just like a strong Villa is, so I hope they recover in the long term.

23 minutes ago, oishiiniku_uk said:

I heard MSP pulled out because another investor (777, who sound pretty dodgy) are offering more and want to buy the club outright.

777 own a few clubs at the moment. Think were close to buying Leeds too

It's a good time to buy Everton (depending on the price). They are at a low ebb but they have a world class new stadium on the way which will increase revenue, attendances and could turn them around. You are basically buying them at the bottom of the market or close to it. Depends on how much of the cost of the new stadium the club would be trying to service...

You would have to look at their players contracts before any purchase. Long contracts with no sell on value or relegation clause means big problems when trying to turn the club around, especially if they are relegated. 

We made similar mistakes, it would be wise to purchase players who are young but have proven championship pedigree.  Archer and  Ramsey would have been top of my list.

The smart money will buy when they go down, it’s what happened to us. Of course NSWE could have bought us beforehand and would have been interested in us for a long while before purchasing us, the due diligence process would have started a long time before. Maybe if they had bought us beforehand we could have avoided relegation. But they are smart and know how and when to invest, especially Wes who founded fortress private equity.

same thing will happen to Everton too, they will have plenty of takers as like us they are a historic club, big fanbase etc. it’s just a matter of when not if 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Villatillidie95 said:

The smart money will buy when they go down, it’s what happened to us. Of course NSWE could have bought us beforehand and would have been interested in us for a long while before purchasing us, the due diligence process would have started a long time before. Maybe if they had bought us beforehand we could have avoided relegation. But they are smart and know how and when to invest, especially Wes who founded fortress private equity.

same thing will happen to Everton too, they will have plenty of takers as like us they are a historic club, big fanbase etc. it’s just a matter of when not if 

Brand new stadium with ready made FFP maximising capabilities as well.

They'll definitely be the target of a buyout but they might want a bit more than Lerner then xia did when selling us

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Genie said:

Did they get away with the clearly bogus financial reporting of losses during Covid, or are they still under investigation for that?

Got away with it.

Same as Chelsea got away with a billion pound tax bill and not paying Roman's fine to Ukraine.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Tomaszk said:

Got away with it.

Same as Chelsea got away with a billion pound tax bill and not paying Roman's fine to Ukraine.

I'm fairly sure it hasn't been decided yet? Wasn't the point that the PL wouldn't rush the decision at the end of last season just so Leicester could claim they'd avoid relegation. I'd be amazed if they claimed they couldn't meet the end of season deadline, but then published a judgement two months later.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Genie said:

Did they get away with the clearly bogus financial reporting of losses during Covid, or are they still under investigation for that?

According to bbc:

Everton's alleged breach of the Premier League's financial fair play rules will go before an independent commission on Wednesday, 25 October.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/65917204.amp

Edit: although it seems this relates to tax on loans they took out for the new stadium....and doesn't seem to cover their fictional covid losses so maybe not 🤔

Edited by MrBlack
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Villatillidie95 said:

The smart money will buy when they go down, it’s what happened to us.

It’s a lot riskier that way, the club might not get promoted back straight away. And then the Championship FFP rules are much more stringent so clubs can get stuck not being able spend what they want to.

It makes sense to pay £100m more for a PL club as you get that much extra in revenue for the year anyway. 

I only watched last fifteen minutes, but they were unbelievably poor again, not looking good. Dyche's job going to come under threat already if they keep these kind of performances up. On paper coming fixtures aren't too unkind to them, but if they can't get decent haul of point from them then outlook will be gloomy indeed.

Edited by useless

Â