Darren Bent

juanpabloangel18

Bent can still harm us even if he's not playing against us though. Is there any point in this deal unless we get another player in this window?

would you rather we kept him, kept paying him wages, and didnt use him?

Bizarre. Are they going to play a front three of Berbatov, Bent and Taarabt? That's going to set some kind of record as the laziest attack in football history. 

have only 3 centre midfielders as well so unless Jol is a mastermind in tactical expertise this could end badly

Bizarre. Are they going to play a front three of Berbatov, Bent and Taarabt? That's going to set some kind of record as the laziest attack in football history. 

have only 3 centre midfielders as well so unless Jol is a mastermind in tactical expertise this could end badly

Have always liked & rated Martin Jol & would not have been averse to him being our manager when previously linked and/or speculated about as a possibility for this position.

It does appear however that he is building Fulham into a team of `Fancy Dans` which is nearly always a recipe for disaster.

Fortunately, Darren Bent, Ruis, Taraabt, Berbatov  et al are his problem & not ours.

bent-port-shirt.jpg

Bent Signs For Fulham

Friday 16 August 2013 11:30

Fulham Football Club is delighted to announce the signing of Darren Bent from Aston Villa, on a season long loan.

The 29-year-old striker signed for Aston Villa from Sunderland in January 2011. Whilst on Wearside, he scored 36 goals in 63 appearances.

He is reunited with Martin Jol, who signed the England international from Charlton Athletic in 2007 whilst manager of Tottenham Hotspur. He has scored four goals in 13 appearances for England, his first for his country in 2010 against Switzerland away in a Euro 2012 Qualifying match.

Bent started his senior career at Ipswich Town in 2001 and spent four seasons at Portman Road, scoring 56 goals before moving to Charlton Athletic in 2005.

He has scored over 100 Premier League goals since 2005, playing for Charlton Athletic, Tottenham Hotspur, Sunderland and Aston Villa.

Fulham Manager Martin Jol said: “Darren Bent is a striker I have always admired. He has shown in the Barclays Premier League that he is composed and clinical in front of goal but, even if he is not scoring, he is involved in some good link-up play, creating opportunities for his teammates. I’m delighted that he has joined us, he gives us pace up front and I am confident that he will add to our goals scored tally this season.”

Good luck to him, now... that attacking midfielder...

I have to say that seeing him holding that shirt leaves me bitterly disappointed. I'd also point to the bolded part of Jol's summation. Isn't it incredible that the masses on here have been sharping their knives with the very statement that Jol has contradicted.

Only time will tell now whether Lambert has made the right call on this if his departure is for footballing reasons alone?

I have to say that seeing him holding that shirt leaves me bitterly disappointed. I'd also point to the bolded part of Jol's summation. Isn't it incredible that the masses on here have been sharping their knives with the very statement that Jol has contradicted.

Only time will tell now whether Lambert has made the right call on this if his departure is for footballing reasons alone?

Imagine how you'll feel when you see Benteke holding another shirt.

bent-port-shirt.jpg

Bent Signs For Fulham

Friday 16 August 2013 11:30

Fulham Football Club is delighted to announce the signing of Darren Bent from Aston Villa, on a season long loan.

The 29-year-old striker signed for Aston Villa from Sunderland in January 2011. Whilst on Wearside, he scored 36 goals in 63 appearances.

He is reunited with Martin Jol, who signed the England international from Charlton Athletic in 2007 whilst manager of Tottenham Hotspur. He has scored four goals in 13 appearances for England, his first for his country in 2010 against Switzerland away in a Euro 2012 Qualifying match.

Bent started his senior career at Ipswich Town in 2001 and spent four seasons at Portman Road, scoring 56 goals before moving to Charlton Athletic in 2005.

He has scored over 100 Premier League goals since 2005, playing for Charlton Athletic, Tottenham Hotspur, Sunderland and Aston Villa.

Fulham Manager Martin Jol said: “Darren Bent is a striker I have always admired. He has shown in the Barclays Premier League that he is composed and clinical in front of goal but, even if he is not scoring, he is involved in some good link-up play, creating opportunities for his teammates. I’m delighted that he has joined us, he gives us pace up front and I am confident that he will add to our goals scored tally this season.”

Good luck to him, now... that attacking midfielder...

We have 4 strikers at the club, one of them being the best striker outside the top 6. The other 3 don't even earn half as much as Bent and are (much) higher up in Lambert's plans than Bent. Wouldn't it make sense for all parties involved for Bent to move on? You're making something out of nothing for the sake of argument.

If loaning out Bent has freed up some space on the wage bill for players Lambert wants to sign then I don't really see the problem with this? It's not like Bent would get much game time here anyway.

Even if it hasn't freed up space on the wage bill for new players, it's still a good thing that someone who's not contributing is moved away 

I'd also point to the bolded part of Jol's summation. Isn't it incredible that the masses on here have been sharping their knives with the very statement that Jol has contradicted.

Just because Jol thinks Bent is good in build up play doesn't mean it's true. I've seen enough of Bent to know that he is too lazy to fit into Lambert's tactics. I'll point out when we drew 1-1 to Norwich at home, winning 1-0 with ten men and Benteke was brought off for Bent. Bent was too busy hanging off the shoulder of the defender or trying to come too deep to pick up the ball that we had no outlet upfront, cue 25 minutes of pressure from Norwich and an inevitable equaliser. If Bent was half as good at link up play and creating opportunities for others as Benteke is, we would've won that game. To play Bent effectively you need a striker to hold up the ball to play alongside him or a creative midfielder/winger. He'll do well at Fulham as he will have both in Berbatov and Taarabt, although if I was a Fulham fan I'd be concerned about how much that attacking line will track back.

Don't get me wrong Bent has been fantastic for us, he kept us up in 10/11, and arguably again in 11/12, but that was because he had a decent supply line, under Lambert the striker is part of the supply line, something Bent cannot do. I wish him well, he's not done anything wrong during his time here IMO, and I hope he does well enough so we can get roughly £5m for him next summer.

• Like 3

If loaning out Bent has freed up some space on the wage bill for players Lambert wants to sign then I don't really see the problem with this? It's not like Bent would get much game time here anyway.

Even if it hasn't freed up space on the wage bill for new players, it's still a good thing that someone who's not contributing is moved away 

The fact that he is the highest earner at the club as well means that it should actually be a priority to move him on.

• Like 2

Loaning a proven striker to one of our nearest rivals, that is always a really nice idea. An injury-free Bent will score lots of goals, but I guess he might get some niggles now that he will suddenly play a lot after playing very little. We potentially just gave Fulham 15+ goals in the league, we should have sold him cheaper to a club like Palace or Hull. Stupid decision in every regard. If Benteke gets injured, then what? Gabby, Weimann and Helenius is not 30 goals between them. Benteke can get 15 - 25 goals on his own, he has to stay injury-free - but when we play him every single week we risk a lot in my opinion.

The amount of money this deal brings to the club(£2 million fee and wages off the bill) will free up funds for Lambert to bring in a player who will play.

His last tweet shows the class of the man. I'm happy he is gone (for reasons already discussed) but wish him well for the remainder of his career.

Thank you Darren for your goals that kept us up. 

Bent can still harm us even if he's not playing against us though. Is there any point in this deal unless we get another player in this window?

What would the difference be if we didn't buy another player? We wouldn't go bankrupt if we kept Bent so unless we get another player out of his leaving, all we're doing is strengthening a league rival and getting paid a bit of money to do so. We might as well have kept him and then at least if the worst did happen, we'd have Bent as an option. I'm not saying I'm against getting him off the wage bill in the long run, but it's only a loan at the moment so that isn't the case.

I'm disappointed to see him leave.  Whatever the rights and wrongs of the situation, he's a good goal scorer and kept us up under Houllier, so I wish him well.  It just didn't work out for him under Lambert and I don't think either man is to blame for that.

What would the difference be if we didn't buy another player? We wouldn't go bankrupt if we kept Bent so unless we get another player out of his leaving, all we're doing is strengthening a league rival and getting paid a bit of money to do so. We might as well have kept him and then at least if the worst did happen, we'd have Bent as an option. I'm not saying I'm against getting him off the wage bill in the long run, but it's only a loan at the moment so that isn't the case.

Who's to say we're not going to buy another player though? There are still 3 weeks left of the window.

I'm disappointed to see him leave.  Whatever the rights and wrongs of the situation, he's a good goal scorer and kept us up under Houllier, so I wish him well.  It just didn't work out for him under Lambert and I don't think either man is to blame for that.

It is unfortunate but I agree, it just didn't/couldn't work. Lambert tried though and I'd like to think there isn't any bad blood between him and Bent. 

Nice to see Bent realises that we're all behind him and thankful for what he did for us.

We have 4 strikers at the club, one of them being the best striker outside the top 6. The other 3 don't even earn half as much as Bent and are (much) higher up in Lambert's plans than Bent. Wouldn't it make sense for all parties involved for Bent to move on? You're making something out of nothing for the sake of argument.

You may wish to rewrite that bearing how much Gabby is supposed to be on a week

Â