Darren Bent

juanpabloangel18

Probably BS but....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2381229/Fulham-increase-offer-Aston-Villa-striker-Darren-Bent.html

It's says Fulham have bid £6m after we rejected a £4m bid.

Problems

1. Why would they bid £6m if £4m was there previosu bid?

Um.

Maybe...?

Because they bid £4m and we said "that's too low".

So they have now come back with a higher bid (£6m) to see if that is high enough for us.

I may just be having a bad morning but I really fail to see any problem with bit of the article at all.

I just think it's a bit of a leap in the bid. I would guess that bids would step up in smaller increments than 50%, especally as they know we are a little desparate to sell.

Maybe you're right, but it just seemed a little odd to me.

It's probably all bollocks though!

telegraph reporting the same. 4mil first off, then came back with a "restructured" bid, whatever that is. It looks like interest is firming up. I would expect he'll be off in the next week to 10 days now. 

Probably BS but....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2381229/Fulham-increase-offer-Aston-Villa-striker-Darren-Bent.html

It's says Fulham have bid £6m after we rejected a £4m bid.

Problems

1. Why would they bid £6m if £4m was there previosu bid?

Um.

Maybe...?

Because they bid £4m and we said "that's too low".

So they have now come back with a higher bid (£6m) to see if that is high enough for us.

I may just be having a bad morning but I really fail to see any problem with bit of the article at all.

I just think it's a bit of a leap in the bid. I would guess that bids would step up in smaller increments than 50%, especally as they know we are a little desparate to sell.

Maybe you're right, but it just seemed a little odd to me.

It's probably all bollocks though!

I don't see how it's that much of a leap tbh. Fulham offer £4m, we say "sorry, £8m is the asking price", they come back with £6m. Absolutely nothing unreasonably on either side about that

Darren Bent has to be the enigma of the Premier League at the moment. An absolute nailed on top notch goalscorer. First off we don't want him in any shape or form. Not even as back up to our 3 main strikers.

Then, given his guaranteed proven ability to do the hardest thing in football, score goals, every body it seems are falling over themselves not to sign him.

It amazes me that such a player as been in the shop window for so long without anybody realizing the bargain that is on offer here.

Or am I missing something somewhere here?

What price a proven goalscorer in the Premier League? Benteke, Suarez, Van Persie, Rooney?

Bent's goalscoring ratio favours handsomely against all of the above & yet still no takers.

Completely baffles me.

Because of his huge wages I can't see him going til near deadline day. He's played his last game for the club though, unless we had a striker problem of biblical proportions.

I reckon a few are interested, perhaps a couple who are bigger clubs than we thought he'd go to. I have a feeling Arsenal could take a punt especially for the knock down price. However, if Fulham and Newcastle are the only serious bidders, he'll go back to London for sure.

Darren Bent has to be the enigma of the Premier League at the moment. An absolute nailed on top notch goalscorer. First off we don't want him in any shape or form. Not even as back up to our 3 main strikers.

Then, given his guaranteed proven ability to do the hardest thing in football, score goals, every body it seems are falling over themselves not to sign him.

It amazes me that such a player as been in the shop window for so long without anybody realizing the bargain that is on offer here.

What price a proven goalscorer in the Premier League? Benteke, Suarez, Van Persie, Rooney?

Bent's goalscoring ratio favours handsomely against all of the above & yet still no takers.

Completely baffles me.

Its a mystery, for sure. But they've obviously had plenty of chances to watch him and the fact that nobody is banging on the door is evidence enough that something does'nt sit right with Darren Bent.

Is it wages? Is it the fact that you'd probably have to build the team to suit him, rather than Benty adapting to fit their style?

Whatever it is, you would think a knock-down £6m (if thats the figure we would accept) for a proven goalscorer/England international might be a reasonable enough punt for most clubs.   

Arsenal wouldn't touch him, all their players need to be able to play football rather than just be good at finishing.

Thats why they win **** all

It might be that teams don't actually rate him

To be fair - Harry Redknapp certainly didn't rate him and did him no favours at all with the comparison of a certain family member. Curiously, such a comparison would now be banned at Anfield if what is being stated today is true. How can the term 'Man Up' be deemed offensive? Show me a woman (or girl) who is offended by the use of the phrase 'Man Up' by football fans commenting on a male player and I will tell her to **** right off back to her sewing and washing.

First it's that 'everyday sexism' bullshit that gets trotted out about the 'male only membership' of a Golf course used in a recent high profile golf tournament - why shouldn't men be allowed their own private golf club? There are female only gymnasiums...female only waiting rooms on some railway stations... you can have girls in the boy scouts, but not the other way round etc. Girls can play in the boys teams, but not the other way round. It's all one way traffic. Then there is the bint harping on about getting a woman on the back of a bank note (whoopy **** do) and then being surprised at the abuse she got on twitter (admittely nasty, but that's how twitter is), now a list of phrases that MUST NOT be tolerated in the football stand.

'Man Up?' FFS.

Do you know what, let's fight world poverty and serious crime instead of nitpicking and henpecking eh? Find something constructive to do instead of outlawing the phrase 'Man Up...'

HUMBUG.

<Edit - should maybe post this in the 'Things That Annoy Me But Shouldn't Thread'>

And, I am a dwindling member of society who still uses the word 'gay' in it's traditional context. So I do not expect to be fingered out of Villa Park or Anfield for using the word. Rant over.

Edited by Raver50032

I reckon it's because we've made it ridiculously clear that we want shut of him. Our desperation to sell means clubs will probably leave it as late as possible and try and tempt us with a stupidly low fee

Selling a PROVEN premiership goalscorer for 5-6m is complete madness to my mind

That said, after the way he's been treated i reckon it would kind of serve Lerner/Lambert right if he said 'ah **** football, i've had enough. Just keep paying me 80k a week to sit on my arse like you did last season'. Two more years of that then officially quit the game with an extra 8m ish (that he's perfectly entitled to) in his back pocket

Arsenal wouldn't touch him, all their players need to be able to play football rather than just be good at finishing.

100% agree

If they had a goalscorer like Bent that doesn't arse around trying to walk the ball into the net at every opportunity i doubt they'd have had all these barren years

Considering the prices other strikers are going, I think it's a bit baffling to believe that no one's buying him just because everyone knows that we want him out. If Cornelius can be signed for 8m, then why wouldn't anyone snap up Bent for 6m? Furthermore, why are Fulham and Newcastle the only team that wants Bent, a "proven PL goal scorer?"

Simple answer would be that they don't rate him. There's a reason he's bounced around all these clubs and he's never featured in a really good side. He's not that good of a player.

Edited by Kwan

Considering the prices other strikers are going, I think it's a bit baffling to believe that no one's buying him just because everyone knows that we want him out. If Cornelius can be signed for 8m, then why wouldn't anyone snap up Bent for 6m? Furthermore, why are Fulham and Newcastle the only team that wants Bent, a "proven PL goal scorer?"

Simple answer would be that they don't rate him. There's a reason he's bounced around all these clubs and he's never featured in a really good side. He's not that good of a player.

I imagine it's his wage demands. 

• Like 1

Or you could turn it around and say that's why they are consistently playing in the Champions League, a competition which Bent has never featured in. 

Completely baffles me.

Oooh oohh, I'll answer that one.

Its simple really..... the other 4 strikers you mention contribute far more to overall play than Darren ever will. They will create opportunities for themselves and others, dropping off play and generally frightening defenders.

Bent hangs around the box and yes scores goals, but beyond that doesn't do much for the rest of the team, offensively or defensively - thats why noone is snapping our hands off for him. I fear that a certain Mr G. Lineker if playing today would have just as much difficulty in today's PL.  

Or you could turn it around and say that's why they are consistently playing in the Champions League, a competition which Bent has never featured in. 

It's a good point Pie. I was talking to a Gooner at work this morning and comments about how all of a sudden they are in the race to spend 40m on Suarez and why they would go for somebody like that. He was vehement in stating that a lot of Gooners would not want a disruptive player like Suarez in their team, but the main resonance here is that Arsenal can spend that much money again now after a few years of 'only' finishing 4th and getting ECL football and paying off their new stadium costs.

All of a sudden, despite winning nothing, but still playing football at the highest of high tables, they can spend big again if they need to. Certainly, in for better players than our DB9 (or whatever number he is given this season). It'll be someone like Newcastle, Fulham or maybe even Narrich (sic) or Swansea that would get him. My bet will be that Fulham will be the suitors that suit him best.

Suits you sir... Oooh...

Â