Darren Bent

juanpabloangel18

I still think a Benteke/Bent partnership would have caused teams major problems if we had stuck with it.

we shall never find out now though.

Maybe Bent is training with the reserves/youth as both parties felt it would be more beneficial to stay in England In case any bids came in.

There will always be players earning more or less money than they are currently worth to the club. As much as we dislike it, 'over-performing' players have the right to request a move and 'under-performing' players have the right to keep taking the cash their contract gives them.

Some of us see a player who has previously provided a near 1 in 2 goal ratio and dream of accomodating him in a successful Villa team. Our manager, who has worked with him for a whole year, doesn't believe Bent can get the goals that negate his lack of all round play and/or doesn't believe the system that most suits Bent is the most successful system for the team. He also sees a player occupying the wage of 3 or 4 potentially great team players or 1 or 2 currently great team players.

I can't honestly say whether I would have handled the situation the same way or any differently. Although we can all make mistakes and judgement errors, I believe PL isn't vindictive, isn't an idiot and wants the best for our club. On that basis, I'll bow to his better knowledge of the whole issue and, as unfortunate as the situation has become, trust his call.

• Like 1

Yes, I think the handling of Bent has been Lamberts biggest failing during his time at the club.

why? 

If Benteke goes we should keep Bent 

we should sell him regardless.  he does not fit into the manager's plan or the way he wants to set the team up.  he said as much last year.

Yes, I think the handling of Bent has been Lamberts biggest failing during his time at the club.

why?

Because the guy could have been a real asset for us and a plan B for when Benteke was not having his best game. Instead Bowery was promoted ahead of him and Bent's value and form was eroded.

What would you say was Lamberts biggest failing? The lack of centre back cover?

Lambert's handling of Bent in the last month has been pretty surprising. He completely justified his actions during the season though. Why he would exclude him from the squad and locker room is bizarre as it doesn't give us any sort of bargaining power with Newcastle. We could have even taken advantage of the Benteke situation to get more for Bent if we'd been a bit more astute about this.

Lambert clearly feels it's of more benefit to have the guys he no longer wants out of the squad from the outset of the season, even if it means devaluing them.

Edited by El-Reacho

The manager doesn't rate him and has frozen him out.

Bents time at the club is over.

That doesn't make the way in which Bent has been treated by the manager right though.

Without the full picture, how do we know whether it is right or not? Given the full facts there is a chance each one of us would do the same.

I know what you're saying but if if he has done something wrong, that something would have needed to be catastrophic to warrant the way in which he has been treated by the club and if that has been the case then i'd be more than a little surprised that we haven't got a sniff of it in the media or from someone on here.

If however he has disrespected either the club or the manager in some way and it just hasn't come out then i would support Lambert's treatment of Bent.

Edited by Morpheus

Lambert's handling of Bent in the last month has been pretty surprising. He completely justified his actions during the season though. Why he would exclude him from the squad and locker room is bizarre as it doesn't give us any sort of bargaining power with Newcastle. We could have even taken advantage of the Benteke situation to get more for Bent if we'd been a bit more astute about this.

Lambert clearly feels it's of more benefit to have the guys he no longer wants out of the squad from the outset of the season, even if it means devaluing them.

Perhaps PL realised Bent had no incentive to move to another club, on a likely to be smaller contract, if Bent is still happy training and/or playing with the first team?

• Like 1

why?

Because the guy could have been a real asset for us and a plan B for when Benteke was not having his best game. Instead Bowery was promoted ahead of him and Bent's value and form was eroded.

What about the fact that the situation clearly helped Benteke's value go up.?

Perhaps PL realised Bent had no incentive to move to another club, on a likely to be smaller contract, if Bent is still happy training and/or playing with the first team?

That would suggest the club are more interested in getting the wages down than bringing in cash from transfers maybe? Ireland has been told he can leave for nothing right?

Lambert is trying to build a team atmosphere (something that is obviously key in the way his managerial style is) for the new season with a group of players he wants as his first team and he sees as being his first team. Some of those will be regular starters and some will be support.  In many respects this is now his squad

Bent is not in his plans for next season and with a bit of luck will be out of the club soon.  (now I am saying this and I really like DB as a player by the way)

Why would Lambert want ti incorporate DB into that atmosphere and risk the possible disruption of his plans ? 

I can perfectly understand why he has kept Bent at a distance from the squad

why?

lambert said last year that he was trying to put a team out to win games.  He was trying to build a team to play in a certain way.

Bent did not fit into that and for Bent to play well it requires the team to be set up in a different way.  Not the way that the manager wanted to go.

The way the team was set up took some gelling I accept that,  but it is in the long term benefit of the club and players as it brings all of the team into it playing together as a unit,  not just relying on balls played into a goal poacher.

In addition the way the team was set up enabled us to get the best out of Benteke and increase his value by around 20M if we manage to get the price for him we want,  also increase the value of other players at the club (lowton,  westwood,  sylla etc),  that potentially would not be in the first team if it was set up to support bent.

Now in terms of bent's value,  what were we likely to get for him anyway ,  even if he had played more regularly?  and on 70K a week?

I'd argue that 12M is perhaps the very most we could have asked for and then settled on 10M or 8M (we were always likely to offload this summer given his contract length and the fact that he is on high wages (not likely to be renegotiated) and didnt figure in plans so teams would know we wanted rid).  So how much will we get now ?  6m? 8m? so we have "lost" somewhere between 0m and 6m ?

It is all subjective but I dont think he has been handled badly at all.  He wants out,  we want him out,  not sure there is much else could have been done.

Onto his biggest failing at the club,  well I'm struggling on that as I actually think he has done as well as can be expected given what he had to start with.

If anything I'd say persisting with a formation that was killing us but even then I can understand why he had to do that

Im with you on that, however...it wont happen. Bents attitude has seen to that, and its something that has followed him around at clubs. On the plus side, Lambert must be pretty confident in having a replacement for Benteke lined up if his prepared to lo lose both players, and despite whats reported, I think he will not be an unknown.

Im with you on that, however...it wont happen. Bents attitude has seen to that, and its something that has followed him around at clubs. On the plus side, Lambert must be pretty confident in having a replacement for Benteke lined up if his prepared to lo lose both players, and despite whats reported, I think he will not be an unknown.

Bent's attitude ?

For me Lambert seems to the one with the Bad Attitude towards Bent. 

Bent has not complained about having a useless turd Bowery playing ahead of him. 

His attitude has been fine for me - unlike for example Ireland he clearly can't be arsed. 

Bent can be arsed and wants to play say whatever you want about his work rate he scores goals. 

Something that when Bentekke goes will have little off.

• Like 1

Personally, I don't think Bent's relegation from first team duties has anything to do with perceived attitude issues.

I think it's his complete inability to play within the structure and game-plan that Lambert is implementing.

Bent is a goal poacher (and a damn good one at that). Everyone knows this.

Lambert (I believe) wants more mobile forwards who can drop back into midfield to help build up the attack.

Bent is not this kind of forward. I don't think it's likely that Bent will change his style of play either. And Lambert won't change his system to fit Bent.

My feeling is Lambert would rather take players on pre-season who will contribute to the footballing structure. Bent doesn't, and that's pretty much that.

He will be gone I reckon. Even if it takes us the entire window to shift him. Best for him. Best for us. No ill will towards him either.

• Like 1

why?

What about the fact that the situation clearly helped Benteke's value go up.?

I wasn't talking about Bent vs Benteke, clearly Benteke is the right call.

I was talking about Bent vs Bowery as our striker option on the bench. 

Personally, I don't think Bent's relegation from first team duties has anything to do with perceived attitude issues.

I think it's his complete inability to play within the structure and game-plan that Lambert is implementing.

Bent is a goal poacher (and a damn good one at that). Everyone knows this.

Lambert (I believe) wants more mobile forwards who can drop back into midfield to help build up the attack.

Bent is not this kind of forward. I don't think it's likely that Bent will change his style of play either. And Lambert won't change his system to fit Bent.

My feeling is Lambert would rather take players on pre-season who will contribute to the footballing structure. Bent doesn't, and that's pretty much that.

He will be gone I reckon. Even if it takes us the entire window to shift him. Best for him. Best for us. No ill will towards him either.

absolutely 100% this

Bent's attitude ?

For me Lambert seems to the one with the Bad Attitude towards Bent. 

Bent has not complained about having a useless turd Bowery playing ahead of him. 

His attitude has been fine for me - unlike for example Ireland he clearly can't be arsed. 

Bent can be arsed and wants to play say whatever you want about his work rate he scores goals. 

Something that when Bentekke goes will have little off.

B)

Not publicly, but privately?

He has always been known to sulk about when he does not get his way. Im not slamming him for that since that's just the way he is and i would love to keep him. But vice versa, Lambert may see it as an attitude he does not want at the club, and lets be fair, he has been pretty ruthless with that since he been here.

He could have handled it differently, but its probably not in Lamberts make up to go back on a decision, and i guess Bent himself no longer fussed about Lambert either.

Uncle Dough would have been banging their heads together! :D

Edited by MagicMushroom

Â