Colecovision:

colecovision%20looping%20cart%20full.jpg

C64:

tlWdgIg.jpg

Amiga:

azrpt0N.png

PC

Swtiefightercd.jpg

I found my Tie Fighter collector edition in the cellar the other month. Managed to get it going on my win8 laptop without any emulation program. Played it through again. Say what you want about Microsoft but they do some serous backward compatibility in their OS'es.

I think a few years ago there were rumours flying around that there was a remake of X-wing vs. Tie Fighter in the offing, but so far nothing has happened.

I don't know about a remake, but I'm surprised Lucas Arts haven't made a modern Star Wars flight/combat sim considering how highly regarded their past titles are.

Maybe one day...

Edited by Ginko

Windwaker is the best game ever, so by definition is the best Zelda game ever as well.  Although Ocarina runs it incredibly close.  Ocarina loses out for the water temple level though, which was like Heston Blumenthal giving you an amazing 6 course 3 Michelin star taster menu, then giving you a turd on a plate for dessert.  That level is just about the worst gaming experience of my life.

I hate water levels in any game. they're always the worst.

OoT I didn't mind too much though. it's still the worst of the temples in that game, but compared to the water temple in majora's Mask it's heaven.

Whoever mentioned Wings on the Amiga, well done, it was brilliant.  I loved all those games (it was Cinemaware wasn't it?)  They did some cracking games, including Wings, It Came From The Desert, Rocket Ranger and TV Sports Basketball.  All beautifully realised for back then.

• Like 1

Colecovision:

colecovision%20looping%20cart%20full.jpg

Currently in my garage:

*Imgage not quoteable*

Fantastic! I think my old console is in the attic at my parents. I really should check if it works, it's been 25 years or so since last time

Whoever mentioned Wings on the Amiga, well done, it was brilliant.  .

Yay

I still have nightmares about water zones on the first **** Sonic game.

Edited by GarethRDR

I still have nightmares about water zones on the first **** Sonic game.

duh-duh-duh-duh, duh-duh-duh-duh

Arrrrrggghhhhhhhhh

Oh thank feck, a bubble.

• Like 1

Agree with the anti water level sentiment.

Water based frolics try their best to ruin Zelda, Mario, Sonic, Tomb Raider, Metal Gear Solid 2 (where you have Emma on your back, ugh).

Based on that Ecco the Dolphin can **** right off.

• Like 1

Desperately trying to think of a good example of a water level / usage of water in a video game. Failing to. Uncharted 3 had that nice level on the ship in a choppy ocean, which, naturally started to sink while you were on it. It wasn't fantastic or anything though.

It seems water has been desperately let down by video games producers. Just like ladders. They're always rubbish.

Edited by hogso

Hate water levels.

That bit in Chemical Zone 2 on Sonic 2 when the chemicals rose and you had to jump out of it...and if you cocked up the jumping later it would chuck you right back in it. And the Aqua zone on the first sonic...bah!

Ecco the Dolphin really was released with a fanfare, and I have it. It really wasn't all that at all. Like James Pond.

Ecco the Dolphin is the most brutally cruel, frustrating, rage-inducing game I have ever played.  I refuse to donate to any dolphin-based charities because of the anguish that game visited upon me.

I only ever had "Ecco: The Tides of Time" and it was as difficult as it was ridiculous. If memory serves, he travels way into the future where dolphins have elongated dorsal fins and can fly. You had the normal 2D gameplay but then had these seriously annoying missions which were akin to the halfpipe levels where you got the Chaos Emeralds in Sonic 2. It was pretty trippy.

Pretty much 99% of the things in the ocean were trying to kill you, which I guess is pretty true.

That reminds me of a Mitch Hedberg joke about if fish could scream, the ocean would be loud as ****. Just a bunch of fish going: "Ahhhhhhh ****! I thought I looked like that rock!"

Based on that Ecco the Dolphin can **** right off.

Stealing that ;)

Edited by Ginko

It seems water has been desperately let down by video games producers. Just like ladders. They're always rubbish.

:o  How very dare you!

Edited by Wainy316

Â