Next Villa manager (Poll added)

Richard

Who do you want to manage Villa next season?  

383 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want to manage Villa next season?

• G.Houllier (w/ G.Mac as #2)
    • G.Houllier (with a new #2)
    • D.Moyes
    • M.Jol
    • M.Hughes
    • P.Lambert
    • S.Allardyce
    • O.Coyle
    • R.Benitez
    • Someone else (specify)

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i give up joe, we are in a mess on and off the pitch and it's embarrassing

Let me get this right, Allardyce would have been the right appointment because he could stabilize us ....but Ancelotti or Moyes would simply threaten us with relegation!? :lol::lol:

Do you not believe those sort of candidates could do a much better job?

Another one for the amdram society.

Loads of good managers attainable

A couple of players want to go but they have high transfer values

A decent squad

We have a very rich owner who has done some great things for the club

A brilliant stadium

A brilliant pitch

Unbelievably good training facilities

Good youth set up with loads of promising players

One of the best strikers in the country

Its anything but embarrassing and I for one no matter what happens at the club will never say the club is embarrassing.

Let me get this right, Allardyce would have been the right appointment because he could stabilize us ....but Ancelotti or Moyes would simply threaten us with relegation!? :lol::lol:

if we lose young and downing the best we can hope for is about 15th, that's the last i'm saying on the matter

if we lose young and downing the best we can hope for is about 15th, that's the last i'm saying on the matter

Thank God for that. :lol:

i would give alby more credit than that, he had decent stats last season especially as he only played in 20 league games last season

losing 1 of them is sustainable losing both at the same time is more tricky but certainly i would think a top manager would be able to replace or at least cover the large gaps left by two of our best attacking players.

Out of the list of managers, i think that any apart from Allerdyce would be more than capable of buying decent replacements with the £35m we receive.

Does anyone have a clue on what's going on with the club atm? Has Houllier left yet? Is Hughes the only one who's been targetted?

The club are expecting to release a statement tomorrow regarding GH, accoring to Matt Kendrick anyway, who knows who there after, the media are speculating hughes but your guess is as good as mine!

this silence is becoming seriously ridiculous.

And your shocked, this is a board that took the best part of 2 months to hire a manager that had been out of management for about 4 years, and also hada very dodgy ticker, to me this just shows that they have learnt nothing from last year and continue to make the same basic mistakes.

i posted this in jest earlier but am starting to think this is what they are following to the letter.

complete-idiots-guide-soccer-deborah-crisfield-paperback-cover-art.jpg

Does anyone have a clue on what's going on with the club atm? Has Houllier left yet? Is Hughes the only one who's been targetted?

Can you honestly not just wait for an announcement ???

And your shocked, this is a board that took the best part of 2 months to hire a manager that had been out of management for about 4 years, and also hada very dodgy ticker, to me this just shows that they have learnt nothing from last year and continue to make the same basic mistakes.

i posted this in jest earlier but am starting to think this is what they are following to the letter.

complete-idiots-guide-soccer-deborah-crisfield-paperback-cover-art.jpg

FFS the season ended just under two weeks ago lads. I understand everybody is very anxious over the managerial situation given that a vast majority were displeased with Houllier and think we will make the exact same mistakes again. However, we are in a completely different boat now because we are not sitting without a manager a few days before the start of the season. They will get a new manager in soon enough and he will be given the funds he needs to strengthen our side (as long as it is not Hughes :winkold: )

I see the knuckleheads are bashing the board once again. They should not be following the correct procedure to deal with GH, it would be better to dismiss Gerard in a corridor at BMH ASAP.

Wake up!

I reckon the only reason the club told Mat Kendrick about the story was to get the story out before Hughes activated his contract for the next three years or whatever it is he has to do which I think I read had to be done today on 1st June.

I think we'll see Hughes as Villa manager by the end of next week.

What other reason would Villa have for leaking the story?

WTF.

2 months - It was actually 1 months. Mainly because the departure had come out of nowhere which meant then getting a list of realistic candidates together, finding out whether they were interested, interviewing them and making a decision etc... it's not a quick process unless you are prepared.

What do you mean, they have learnt nothing from last year? It's June 1st ...we'll have another manager within the next 2 weeks... at that time, most players will be on their holidays and he has a chance to draw up plans of players he wants/doesn't want and then ready to go by early July ...

haven't learnt from last year, why don't you give them a **** chance first.

:?

Hughes is a step sideways, would love a more reckless appointment, somebody with a more extensive Rolodex for dealing with other clubs and players. A manager that can command a media presence and rally the fans while catching the attention of players at other clubs. For me Hughes is a manager that nobody could give a toss about, he does not raise the profile of the club. Give me Schuster, van Basten, Klinsmann, Bilić, Rijkaard even Ancelotti.

Barring a miracle we are not going o be able to break the top 4 so if for the foreseeable future Villa are destined to occupy the irrelevancy of midtable we might as well do it with a bit of style.

Just thought this was quite interesting.. A view on a possible Hughes interest from a Fulham point of view... Apparantly we are a club which is collapsing & they are now our equals! Oh & our owners are worse than theirs too! :lol:

Why Hughes is better off at the Cottage

by Kristian Balkin on Jun 1, 2011 4:28 PM BST

It was only a matter of weeks into his new Craven Cottage reign before other clubs began to court Mark Hughes; notably Aston Villa. It epitomises the state of today's game that a team can consider it reasonable to set their sites on a manager so fresh into his job that he would struggle to name the secretary whom he would greet on a daily basis.

It didn't stop Randy Lerner and his henchmen at the time though, and only 11 or so months on, it won't stop them again. It's become quite clear that Aston Villa would like Mark Hughes to replace outgoing manager Gerard Houllier and executives at the Midlands club have hardly made an attempt to quash such rumours. So, one must assume there is a solid foundation in the paper talk. After all, no new contract has been agreed and in the days of FIFA corruption, £50 million signings and fines for praising officials, 1 year seems a long time to hold down a managerial post.

Hughes would be sensible to hold out a little longer than that, though.

Aston Villa, despite their indubitably decent credentials over previous years, cannot, with genuine authenticity, be considered a club on the up. At one time, it must be said, they were. Under O'Neill's tutorship they almost became the untouchables of non-top-four football. While they didn't play with the fine, flowing football of the best of them, they fought season-upon season and Villa became, before long, widely renowned as one of the best challengers to the top four's stronghold that the Premier League could boast.

Even before O'Neill's tumultuous stint came to an abrupt end, however, their prosperity began to dwindle. Tottenham Hotspur, under the guidance of Harry Redknapp, showed that it wasn't all that difficult to attain Champions League football after all, and it became clear that, regardless of abundant consistency, Aston Villa were missing something to make them a truly enriching club of modern times.

Things took an even greater turn for the worse when Martin O'Neill left, though, and the bitterness of his departure underlined certain rumblings that were prevalent at the club. Couple that with a moderate opening season for Gerard Houllier and you have yourself a team in the midst of a great demise. Ninth place might look okay on a CV but it didn't tell the whole story.

And, with Houllier supposedly on the way out, it would make room for a third manager in only a year; hardly the sign of a stable club, even if none of the aforementioned departures were sackings. Yet Houllier, seemingly, isn't the only one to be quitting the Midlands following a lackluster campaign. England internationals Ashley Young and Stewart Downing have made it quite palpable that they'd prefer to ply their trade in European competition rather than taking a stab at the odd Carling Cup run alongside a tedious Premier League season next year.

It's all falling apart for Aston Villa then, and yet Hughes is seemingly up for the job?

It's perhaps plausible to understand some sort of brain process which would lead to Aston Villa having more potential than his current Fulham side. They have the recent pedigree and they have the financial backing; but don't Fulham have all of that too?

We are, almost begrudgingly by default as it goes, back into European competition. Back home, almost, given our mighty run in the 2009/10 season which saw us pipped in the final minute against a clearly fledging Ateltico Madrid side. Having the extra cup to compete in, an extra dimension to our dynamics, is invaluable to a club our size and it's something Villa can't offer. Of course, our exploits could be short lived, but if you go by recent evidence then, clearly, we have it in us to take great strides against Europe's elite.

Mohammed Al Fayed is hardly short of money, either. That his fortune is considered less than that of Randy Lerner is almost irrelevant, given his fanatical devotion to the club he has always loved. While sides around us are being bought for business reasons solely, we continue to be funded by someone who always has, and always will, have the best interests of Fulham FC at heart. He's extravagant and sometimes nonchalant, but he's one of the best chairman we could have ever asked for. Aston Villa's equivalent doesn't quite live up to those standards; look at where O'Neill is now.

And, with Fulham, you get a sense that the fans aren't constantly on your back. We want success and we want to move forward but we're aware of our limits and we know where to draw the line. In contrast, the fans of the Midlands side may be prone to the odd nag and he'll find far more pressure on his shoulders than he ever will do by the banks of the Thames.

That makes for far more room for success in London than in Birmingham. Fulham are, finally, a team that can attract the lucrative players, play the most entertaining of football and appease the most humble of fans. So, before Hughes sets himself up on a road of one year stints at average sides, perhaps he should settle for his mantra of old and slog it out while he's still successful. After all, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

LINK: http://tinyurl.com/3m63q3f