Next Villa manager (Poll added)

Richard

Who do you want to manage Villa next season?  

383 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want to manage Villa next season?

• G.Houllier (w/ G.Mac as #2)
    • G.Houllier (with a new #2)
    • D.Moyes
    • M.Jol
    • M.Hughes
    • P.Lambert
    • S.Allardyce
    • O.Coyle
    • R.Benitez
    • Someone else (specify)

i don't care about the style of football as long as it produces results
you dont consistently win things playing shite though. Success is very much intertwined with the style you play

agreed but i think we need stability for the next few years and allardyce would provide that, i think we can forget about challenging for the top 6 for the forseeable future

What you on about Allardyce still for??

Hes at West Ham now and wouldnt want him anywhere near us.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think mourinho could do everything, he is 10 times the manager fergurson is and in absolutely every team he has managed has he won something and been sucseesful. he would have won the **** league if he took over villa.

i agree, he is up with the best managers ever to grace the game but for me the top 6 is set in stone

steaknchips are you Deschamps agent? :lol:

:lol:

Its important to keep his name in the frame..The more it gets mentioned the more chance of him coming..

Krulak has said in the past that they do listen to the fans..

If we shout loud enough they may consider it...

Its better than the links to Hughes and Moyes..

Ive been mulling this over at work today and ive come up with the following in terms of who I think will get the job IF GH leaves..

Favourite;

* Hughes - for me this is really a no brainer, our board doesnt like stealing managers, hughes is out of contract so it very simple, the guy has a good track record and I think is at the right stage in his career to take villa places. This would be my preference, hes at a similar level managing fulham so a step to a club with bigger backing and bigger support would be a real oppurtunity.

Possibles;

* Ancelotti - for me this guy is too big for our club, we need an overhaul and im not really sure if hes the type of manager for us, id certainly give it a go because him and wilks would be a real promising team.

* Moyes - Dont think theres a cat in hells chance of getting this guy away from everton, he seems to have this ego about him managing everton and them supposedly going places, his record does speak volumes tho and no one would begrudge the move

* Martinez - another manager in prem management so an instant outside fav, knowing our board and there tendance to provide a shock I wouldnt be surprised if his name was on the shortlist. For me, needs a few more seasons at the top level.

Small Chancers;

*Jol - Premiership track record, not really sure our board would take the gamble though after the lastr 12 months.

*McClaren - As above really

Honeslty, Not Likely!;

* Deschamps - would be a real head turner and something I dont see coming, no prem track record? too big a gamble?

* Rjikard - as above really

So thats what I think, in my opinion I think hughes will be snapped up for his promise and the availability, I expect il be proven wrong because I didnt see GH getting the job in a million years

managers such as deschamps and rijkaard seem unobtainable yet both admire the premier league and as natural winners with a great deal of pride, may see it as a realistic challenge as long as there was a promise of suitable funds ( not man city type funds but still funds available for what they would want to build)

rijkaard is a free agent in 4 days time

out of all the ones i listed, i see geret has signed a deal with morroco for 4 years but doesnt start til july so unless compo was paid i will have to count him out.

deschamps is making noises at his beloved marseille so could be a time to woo him.

hiddink is obviously the one we have the least chance of, either man utd or chelsea would be the people to emply him in the premier league.

but he is still a free agent at the moment

moyes has a good record and i think would do a job on apar with MON, but maybe giving the players less power and less money which wouldnt be a bad thing.

my arguement ( if you call it that) is that this is great time to be getting a new manager, there is no world cup, no european cup and it is the start of the summer, free transfers not yet sorted, we have swept a lot of dead wood out of the club making it even more attractive a place for a new man to work, knowing they can get who they want from the start as the funds are there for players and wages.

shouldnt we try and aim as high as we can, like buying a house, if you can get a repo which is 2 rungs further up the ladder than you would normally be able to get, wouldnt you do it?

so why not with a manager out of work?

i dont see hughes as a step up, if anything i would say at best he is going to be a 7th place manager. that equals a meh from me.

there are 4 or 5 top managers around who are for once, gettable and we have then got the time to intigrate them in and for them to bring in who ever they want.

what a golden opportunity to move onwards and upwards.

one final thought, IF we got hughes AND he did well, do you not think he would be man utd bound within another year when fergie leaves?

Who are the 'top' 4 or 5 managers that are gettable?

And Fergie won't be going anywhere for quite some time. But if that was what you're worried about, it will be just as true of any manager a Eric Geretss it is a player that makes a name for himself here, as we know only too well. If you're concerned about attracting the attention of clubs who are above us, we may as well not even try to compete at all. (I can't see Hughes at Utd though after managing City - much was written about that at the time he took the job at Eastlands)

top managers?

ancellotti, rijkaard, deschamps, Louis van Gaal, ranieri to name a few

then you have people like hiddink, gerets, jol and even the switz manager hitzfeld

and thats without spending much time checking who is wanting out of clubs or contracts or who is a free agent.

all are managers who would be good for our club

you can argue all day long whether they would come to our club but money talks in most cases nowdays and so does being treated fairly by your employer. a mix of decent pay and treated decently by randy should get us someone of the calibre of the above mentioned.

my expectations are high but not unrealistic with the majority of those names

Your expectations are indeed high and completely unrealistic.

You specifically said 'gettable' and Ranieri and Jol are the only 'gettable' names on that list - and neither would inspire more confidence than Mark Hughes.

I like Jol but he only had one really good season at Spurs and the wheels then came off rather drastically. Hughes' overall record is better.

Ranieri would almost certainly be a repeat of the Houllier experiment - very nice guy, great technical knowledge, but would likely be found wanting trying to implement his ideas at Villa. I'm also not entirely sure he's got the hunger to start a project of thi size at this stage of his career and having been out of the Premier League for as long as he has now. His re-emergence on Sky and such like as a pundit in recent months seems suspiciously like a plea for someone to give him one last big payday - and that's a road we really don't want to go down.

as i said, we could argue all day long about who out of that list of mostly avaliable managers , is gettable, such as you dont think ancellotti is gettable which seems odd as he is available?

i have named you more than 4 managers all of whom are not contractually obligated at this present time all of whom are better than hughes, more attractive to top players than hughes and better tactically, experience wise and so on.. than hughes

i would even take steven mclaren who i think is a grade 'a' cock, over hughes

Not being currently employed does not make somebody automatically 'gettable' for us. You have to assess exactly what we have to offer to those managers and in our present position it is going to be extremely difficult.

Ancelotti could be a great appointment - not guaranteed because I, like others have outlined, are dubious that he could take a midtable squad and produce consistent results - but despite what may have been reported, I am highly doubtful of him remaining in this country unless a great offer comes in from a London club. It wouldn't surprise me if Villa have inquired as to his current thinking but we aren't going to know for sure - and Lerner and the board may well agree with those of us that feel that would be more of a gamble than they're willing take this time.

Your last comment though suggests you are so intent on pushing your anti-Hughes agenda that nothing is going sway you so probably best we stop going round in circles.

you dont consistently win things playing shite though. Success is very much intertwined with the style you play

agreed but i think we need stability for the next few years and allardyce would provide that, i think we can forget about challenging for the top 6 for the forseeable future

What you on about Allardyce still for??

Hes at West Ham now and wouldnt want him anywhere near us.

he was my preferred candidate for the position though

Do you believe Allardyce can take Villa into the top 4 with his style of football?

i don't think that mourinho could

Which is EXACTLY the reason Allardyce should never be appointed at this club. Allardyce is a go to man where you club is in trouble, it needs saving from relegation or stabilizing in the Premiership for a season or two.

Right now at Villa, we are the 7th/8th best team in the league with some of the best youth players about. We aren't going to get 4th in the next couple years but it's a perfect time now for Villa to just start slowly building for the future, bringing through the youth, setting up a way of playing, a familiarity within the squad so that when players come here, they want to stay, a squad that's capable of challenging for the top 4 in the future when the time is right.

At the best we can hope for, it's going to be 6th/7th .. personally speaking, I'd rather we hire a manager who brings an attractive style of play to the club, who can attract big players and will also bring through and develop the youth, I'd rather finish 8th while developing our squad and style than finishing 6th under Allardyce because simply put, once Allardyce goes, we'd all be back at square one without actually achieving anything. In a way, just like when O'Neill left us, the squad was dismantled and needed to be sorted, it'd be exactly the same as Allardyce and we'd start at square 1 again.

I mean really, we have Clark, Albrighton, Delph, Gardner, etc....all fine footballers coming through, do we really want to see them halted in their progression as footballers simply because Allardyce's style of play gets us to 7th/8th in the league? :? Delph is a supremely talented midfielder, I want to see him getting on the ball, passing, creating, making things happen, not running from box to box without touching the ball as he looks to pick up any knocks down from the long balls into the box.

Yes, we need results to a point, finishing below 8th isn't good enough but this is more of a time to build something for the future, build a squad, stability within the club.

The idea of Allardyce goes against everything we need. Allardyce is the sort of manager you'd appoint in the situation we were in January (if we didn't have money) the sort of manager you can go to get enough results to do the job. The sort of manager that will get West Ham promoted and establish them between 10th-14th in the Premiership next year.

It's surprising coming from you, someone who cares so much about our youth that you'd go against that in the appointment of Allardyce. He is a results man but in reality, we don't need results right now, we need to build something. Something for the long term.

there are 4 or 5 top managers around who are for once, gettable and we have then got the time to intigrate them in and for them to bring in who ever they want.

what a golden opportunity to move onwards and upwards.

one final thought, IF we got hughes AND he did well, do you not think he would be man utd bound within another year when fergie leaves?

Who are the 'top' 4 or 5 managers that are gettable?

And Fergie won't be going anywhere for quite some time. But if that was what you're worried about, it will be just as true of any manager a Eric Geretss it is a player that makes a name for himself here, as we know only too well. If you're concerned about attracting the attention of clubs who are above us, we may as well not even try to compete at all. (I can't see Hughes at Utd though after managing City - much was written about that at the time he took the job at Eastlands)

top managers?

ancellotti, rijkaard, deschamps, Louis van Gaal, ranieri to name a few

then you have people like hiddink, gerets, jol and even the switz manager hitzfeld

and thats without spending much time checking who is wanting out of clubs or contracts or who is a free agent.

all are managers who would be good for our club

you can argue all day long whether they would come to our club but money talks in most cases nowdays and so does being treated fairly by your employer. a mix of decent pay and treated decently by randy should get us someone of the calibre of the above mentioned.

my expectations are high but not unrealistic with the majority of those names

Your expectations are indeed high and completely unrealistic.

You specifically said 'gettable' and Ranieri and Jol are the only 'gettable' names on that list - and neither would inspire more confidence than Mark Hughes.

I like Jol but he only had one really good season at Spurs and the wheels then came off rather drastically. Hughes' overall record is better.

Ranieri would almost certainly be a repeat of the Houllier experiment - very nice guy, great technical knowledge, but would likely be found wanting trying to implement his ideas at Villa. I'm also not entirely sure he's got the hunger to start a project of thi size at this stage of his career and having been out of the Premier League for as long as he has now. His re-emergence on Sky and such like as a pundit in recent months seems suspiciously like a plea for someone to give him one last big payday - and that's a road we really don't want to go down.

as i said, we could argue all day long about who out of that list of mostly avaliable managers , is gettable, such as you dont think ancellotti is gettable which seems odd as he is available?

i have named you more than 4 managers all of whom are not contractually obligated at this present time all of whom are better than hughes, more attractive to top players than hughes and better tactically, experience wise and so on.. than hughes

i would even take steven mclaren who i think is a grade 'a' cock, over hughes

Not being currently employed does not make somebody automatically 'gettable' for us. You have to assess exactly what we have to offer to those managers and in our present position it is going to be extremely difficult.

Ancelotti could be a great appointment - not guaranteed because I, like others have outlined, are dubious that he could take a midtable squad and produce consistent results - but despite what may have been reported, I am highly doubtful of him remaining in this country unless a great offer comes in from a London club. It wouldn't surprise me if Villa have inquired as to his current thinking but we aren't going to know for sure - and Lerner and the board may well agree with those of us that feel that would be more of a gamble than they're willing take this time.

Your last comment though suggests you are so intent on pushing your anti-Hughes agenda that nothing is going sway you so probably best we stop going round in circles.

so you show your colours, cant have a reasonable discussion, have to resort to name calling?

pathetic

Its important to keep his name in the frame..The more it gets mentioned the more chance of him coming..

You know, I genuinely love that rationale. We should do the same for players we want to sign too. Simples.

Ive been mulling this over at work today and ive come up with the following in terms of who I think will get the job IF GH leaves..

Favourite;

* Hughes - for me this is really a no brainer, our board doesnt like stealing managers, hughes is out of contract so it very simple, the guy has a good track record and I think is at the right stage in his career to take villa places. This would be my preference, hes at a similar level managing fulham so a step to a club with bigger backing and bigger support would be a real oppurtunity.

Possibles;

* Ancelotti - for me this guy is too big for our club, we need an overhaul and im not really sure if hes the type of manager for us, id certainly give it a go because him and wilks would be a real promising team.

* Moyes - Dont think theres a cat in hells chance of getting this guy away from everton, he seems to have this ego about him managing everton and them supposedly going places, his record does speak volumes tho and no one would begrudge the move

* Martinez - another manager in prem management so an instant outside fav, knowing our board and there tendance to provide a shock I wouldnt be surprised if his name was on the shortlist. For me, needs a few more seasons at the top level.

Small Chancers;

*Jol - Premiership track record, not really sure our board would take the gamble though after the lastr 12 months.

*McClaren - As above really

Honeslty, Not Likely!;

* Deschamps - would be a real head turner and something I dont see coming, no prem track record? too big a gamble?

* Rjikard - as above really

So thats what I think, in my opinion I think hughes will be snapped up for his promise and the availability, I expect il be proven wrong because I didnt see GH getting the job in a million years

managers such as deschamps and rijkaard seem unobtainable yet both admire the premier league and as natural winners with a great deal of pride, may see it as a realistic challenge as long as there was a promise of suitable funds ( not man city type funds but still funds available for what they would want to build)

rijkaard is a free agent in 4 days time

out of all the ones i listed, i see geret has signed a deal with morroco for 4 years but doesnt start til july so unless compo was paid i will have to count him out.

deschamps is making noises at his beloved marseille so could be a time to woo him.

hiddink is obviously the one we have the least chance of, either man utd or chelsea would be the people to emply him in the premier league.

but he is still a free agent at the moment

moyes has a good record and i think would do a job on apar with MON, but maybe giving the players less power and less money which wouldnt be a bad thing.

my arguement ( if you call it that) is that this is great time to be getting a new manager, there is no world cup, no european cup and it is the start of the summer, free transfers not yet sorted, we have swept a lot of dead wood out of the club making it even more attractive a place for a new man to work, knowing they can get who they want from the start as the funds are there for players and wages.

shouldnt we try and aim as high as we can, like buying a house, if you can get a repo which is 2 rungs further up the ladder than you would normally be able to get, wouldnt you do it?

so why not with a manager out of work?

i dont see hughes as a step up, if anything i would say at best he is going to be a 7th place manager. that equals a meh from me.

I agree with you about the ambition to have someone with a big name at the club no doubt, but I dont have the belief that the board will consider an approach or take it seriously enough quite simply, still id love to be proven wrong.

Alec,

You just down play our club.. We are better than the suggestions you keep bringing up..

I dont need to say on here what an attractive package managing Aston Villa is...

Atm Aston Villa is a better club to manage than Liverpool or Chelsea. Its a huge opportunity for any top manager to come in and make his mark in the Premiership.

Money is available and the club have never denied that.

The stadium is in prime condition(unlike anfield)

The training facilities are amongst the best in the country.

The board have to be amongst the best to work for in the Prem.

The stage is set my friend..All we need is the RIGHT man..

ffs joe, you don't think that this club is in trouble and in need of stability?

In trouble of what exactly?? relegation? No. we're in trouble of slipping further down the table, losing key players, losing even more key players and that will only keep happening by adopting someone like Allardyce. We need to appoint someone that is ambitious, looking to build something, has clear philosophies that players will buy into so players realise this is still a big club, a top 6/7 team who can challenge towards the top end of the league.

Appointing Allardyce is like saying "We're worried of relegation, we've got a squad of pretty much average players, let's just steady the ship for a couple years"

we are not in that position, we are far, far, far, far, far, far better than that.

I agree with you about the ambition to have someone with a big name at the club no doubt, but I dont have the belief that the board will consider an approach or take it seriously enough quite simply, still id love to be proven wrong.

sadly and worryingly i think you may be right in regards to not going for it.

to be fair to the board, we will probably never know even if we did go in for top managers if we didnt get one as they wouldnt really want to advertise to a lesser manager that they were 4th choice. it also wouldnt be very fair to the new manager.

we can only hope.

In trouble of what exactly?? relegation? No. we're in trouble of slipping further down the table, losing key players, losing even more key players and that will only keep happening by adopting someone like Allardyce. We need to appoint someone that is ambitious, looking to build something, has clear philosophies that players will buy into so players realise this is still a big club, a top 6/7 team who can challenge towards the top end of the league.

Appointing Allardyce is like saying "We're worried of relegation, we've got a squad of pretty much average players, let's just steady the ship for a couple years"

we are not in that position, we are far, far, far, far, far, far better than that.

you don't think we're in danger of relegation if we lose young and downing?

I'l 2nd this :winkold:

you don't think we're in danger of relegation if we lose young and downing?

No. :lol:

We've had one poor season, before that, we finished with 60+ points in our last 3 seasons. Even when we were dire for 1/2 of last season, we finished 9th, 9 points above relegation. There are helluva lot worse clubs than us in the league. We'll have to money to spend from whoever we sell as well as Randy's own money.

Also, we have Darren Bent who is guarenteed 15-20 league goals, a team who has goalscorers like that don't go down. At very, very worst next season, we'll finish about 11th-12th.

In danger of relegation my arse. :lol:

you don't think we're in danger of relegation if we lose young and

downing?

Depends on who you replace them with i suspose which makes the appointment of our next manager all that more critical i think. Needs to be somebody to attract the calibre of player who can replace said players and also a man who players want to play for and know they can compete with us and not get starry eyed everytime their agent bands their name about.