Next Villa manager (Poll added)

Richard

Who do you want to manage Villa next season?  

383 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want to manage Villa next season?

• G.Houllier (w/ G.Mac as #2)
    • G.Houllier (with a new #2)
    • D.Moyes
    • M.Jol
    • M.Hughes
    • P.Lambert
    • S.Allardyce
    • O.Coyle
    • R.Benitez
    • Someone else (specify)

I think Hughes has been pretty good. He got Wales as close to qualifying to a major competition for the first time since 1957, had a similar record at Blackburn as MON did at Villa, with very little cash. At Man City he was sacked unfairly when his team had only lost 3 times and were in the top 4, and his football was pretty exciting there. And has done a good job at Fulham.

Mediocre? I have no idea who you think this club is able to get, but Hughes is a pretty good one in my opinion.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the board was competent enough, we wouldn't be in this situation.

By your posts i get the impression you not really a fan of anything currently at Villa however....

I'm hoping that you do realise that people make mistakes?

I think you'll struggle to find any club that has done things perfectly every time.

Sometimes it pays off other times it doesn't, its realising your mistake and moving on which makes all the difference. :)

It's not just a mistake. It's not just hiring Houllier although that's partly the reason. I mean when they hired Houllier, they said Premier League experience was required, but his been out of touch with it for 6 years. Why didn't they also ask him if he had a definite number 2 in place? That's just as important as hiring the manager. When more than 3 of his choices (he really should have had a definite choice) theyturned him down and went with Gary Mac (panic much?) who we know isn't really good enough for this level of football. Why would you appoint someone as manager who couldn't even make it to the first game because they still had some work to do in a different country. It seemed too messy and unprepared. There's also times where they could have sacked him and I'm sure anyone good enough would easily gotten us out of this mess with this group of players.

Before then, Randy allowed MON to run our club leading us to announce a major loss this year. Poor judgement on his part. So instead of rectifying the mistake by hiring a person with good financial skills AND football knowledge, he hires his friend (Paul Faulkner) who doesn't appear to have any qualifications as a CEO who hasn't shown any signs of pushing our club forward at this current time.

But still, it seems some are happy with the board that they've splashed out money despite the fact we've announced a massive loss this year, we're going backwards to the point of relegation contenders and also appear to be unsure on what to do next. Is GH staying or not? If it's not announced once this season is over, then they're just delaying the inevitable and I don't see why anyone would be happy with that.

Err yes i'm aware of all that.

But people make mistakes yes?

Like i originally asked.

They haven't fix one yet. If they can hire a manager who's a total success then good. If not, then how long is your piece of string?

Oh, and we've fallen down so many steps that mid-table next season does seem like an improvement.

McClaren? Billy Davies??? Jesus wept. Do people actually believe they would be good candidates or are you just on a wind up?

Lets face it they would find it hard to do a worse job than the current manager.

Hughes is a good manager, but not good enough to take us the next step.

The next step for us is mid-table I think he'd get us that far

Id be confident of consistent top 7/8 finishes under Hughes. Id settle for him, but I wouldnt want him

They haven't fix one yet. If they can hire a manager who's a total success then good. If not, then how long is your piece of string?

Oh, and we've fallen down so many steps that mid-table next season does seem like an improvement.

Sigh.

What is the next step?we have hopefully just about avoided relegation - mid table stabilility surely is the next step is it not! we are a million miles from Champions league qualification we never took the chance when we had it eighteen months ago.

I think Hughes has been pretty good. He got Wales as close to qualifying to a major competition for the first time since 1957, had a similar record at Blackburn as MON did at Villa, with very little cash. At Man City he was sacked unfairly when his team had only lost 3 times and were in the top 4, and his football was pretty exciting there. And has done a good job at Fulham.

Mediocre? I have no idea who you think this club is able to get, but Hughes is a pretty good one in my opinion.

He just seems utterly charmless to me. I know that probably has bugger all to do with how good a manager he is/can be but the way he moans at refs whenever things go tits up gets on mine.

What is the next step?we have hopefully just about avoided relegation - mid table stabilility surely is the next step is it not! we are a million miles from Champions league qualification we never took the chance when we had it eighteen months ago.

Next step should be back into the top6.

This season was all about consolidation of Premier League status. Next season, with the right amount of transfers both in and out we should be aiming for at least a top 10 finish.

That's one way of looking at it I suppose :)

I think the top 5 next year is pretty much set in stone. Spurs will be favourite for 6 and then we should be at the top of the next pack as a minimum. They should do all they can to convince Moyes to come to VP.

Cant believe people have suggested Hughes because we need Mid-table stability. Thats the exact reason I dont want him, we need somebody to have us fighting it out with Liverpool, Everton and Spurs again

Assuming there's a lot of new faces across the summer / autumn, let's keep in mind, players take time to settle in / gel as a team

Next season is mid-table at best, perhaps a run in a cup if we have a manager who treats the cups with respect

In short, a season of consolidation and not a lot else

Quique Sanchez Flores won't be managing Atlético next year. Marca has reported that Luis Enrique and Atlético have struck a deal for him to be the next manager. I'm not a huge fan, my wife thinks he's fit, his aunt and great aunt are VERY famous flamenco artists, the players might actually respect him because he's a former footballer......

Quique Sanchez Flores won't be managing Atlético next year. Marca has reported that Luis Enrique and Atlético have struck a deal for him to be the next manager. I'm not a huge fan, my wife thinks he's fit, his aunt and great aunt are VERY famous flamenco artists, the players might actually respect him because he's a former footballer......

why aren't you a huge fan?

Is there any chance we could add a poll of potential candidates? A list of something like:

Noone - I.E Houllier

Rijkaard

Lambert

Flores

Moyes

Hughes

Benitez

McClaren

Allardyce

just going from the regularity of the mentions on here. I've probably missed out loads.

Hughes is a good manager, but not good enough to take us the next step.

The next step for us is mid-table I think he'd get us that far

Id be confident of consistent top 7/8 finishes under Hughes. Id settle for him, but I wouldnt want him

Yeah same here Tom, I think he's the safe choice not the ambitious one

Cant believe people have suggested Hughes because we need Mid-table stability. Thats the exact reason I dont want him, we need somebody to have us fighting it out with Liverpool, Everton and Spurs again

Shoody I want a house with a pool and a Rolls outside....but it ain't gonna happen :)

Your wife thinks he's fit? Isn't he the one who looks like Phil Brown? :shock:

I don't know much about him as a manager, don't really follow Spanish football too closely but considering I know of your connections to spanish football/footballers I like to think you know what you're on about.

Care to go into more detail about why you don't rate him YIM?