9.0 quake hits Japan

Cracker1234

When I saw it, it made me realise how bad things were. a town of 20 thousand people and half those missing, in context 23 thousand people live in the same town as I do, I cannot imagine half of those going!

I agree, I have moaned about the weather but I would rather suffer the silly weather patterns we have than face an earthquake and tsunami.

I take my previous comment about the severity of this back, this is bad no doubt.

If an earthquake like this kills more than a thousand people in Japan I dread to think what might happen to a country like the Philippines or a poor Latin American country under similar circumstances.

Edit:

the earthquake in haiti in 2010 had OVER 300,000 deaths

Shocking, I didn't know it was that bad.

Quake now upgraded to a 9

Apparently the shock was so severe it's moved Japan's main Island by a few metres and also shifted the earth's axis by another 10cms.

The Indonesian quake in 2004 had similar effects. I've heard the word "Megaquake" mentioned

There have been massive earthquakes all around the Pacific Ring of Fire. The ONLY place where we haven't had a big one so far is the West Coast of America...If you look at IRIS maps you can see there's a bit of a gap. Could be something or nothing but I wouldn't be suprised if there's not a similar event in this area sooner rather than later.

did you see the footage of the wave someing up the river then bursting over the bank bringing that huge fishing boat with it?

Still cant believe people are making jokes of this. Its discusting!

Still cant believe people are making jokes of this. Its discusting!

It's not as bad as everyone is making out though, I spoke to a Japanese mate yesterday (his name is So Kin Vet) and all he could talk about was a huge rave.

There have been massive earthquakes all around the Pacific Ring of Fire. The ONLY place where we haven't had a big one so far is the West Coast of America...If you look at IRIS maps you can see there's a bit of a gap. Could be something or nothing but I wouldn't be suprised if there's not a similar event in this area sooner rather than later.
Well the yanks aren't going to aim HAARP at themselves now are they.

Anyway, I just saw

which might put the raw power of the 'quake into perspective.

Not sure if it was SKy or BBC news that interviewed a Prof of Earthquake Engineering at Bristol Uni (think it was Sky). They have an Earthquake simulation machine at Bristol and it replicates any earthquake. They did the Christchurch one then the Japan one and the differences were staggering. There have been a good number of aftershocks in Japan that have been much larger than the Christchurch earthquake. I think the current aftershock count is 228 or something, this quake was one huge mother of a quake. Plenty more aftershocks to come yet

EDIT:

6th? I make it 4th, I assume you are reading the list on Wikipedia which includes two which havent happened on Earth? Again, the change of rating just makes my mind boggle at how powerful every step on the Richter scale is.

8.8 has the force of 1 exajoule (1,000,000,000,000,000,000 joules of energy)

9.0 is exactly twice as powerful. 2 exajules.

I dont think the human brain works very well with such massive numbers, mine doesnt at least, but 1 joule is the equivalent of an apple falling from a table to the floor. The earthquake was a lot of apples!

I am yes. :oops:

Even at 6th, the mind boggles.

2 sextillion apples falling! Fuuuck. Suddenly I appreciate living in non-tectnic Brittania

Â