9.0 quake hits Japan

Cracker1234

Anyway, I just saw

which might put the raw power of the 'quake into perspective.

Not sure if it was SKy or BBC news that interviewed a Prof of Earthquake Engineering at Bristol Uni (think it was Sky). They have an Earthquake simulation machine at Bristol and it replicates any earthquake. They did the Christchurch one then the Japan one and the differences were staggering. There have been a good number of aftershocks in Japan that have been much larger than the Christchurch earthquake. I think the current aftershock count is 228 or something, this quake was one huge mother of a quake. Plenty more aftershocks to come yet

EDIT:

I can't remember which station it was on, but there was a scientist with a seismic earth graph & Haiti & Christchurch events appeared as literally pin pricks. The third line was like someone having a massive heart attack on the diagram. That was the line shown for this Japanese earthquake. There may be more to come as well because there was a 7.1 foreshock previous to this megaquake & no one appears to know exactly what's going to happen next!

Anyway, I just saw

Not sure if it was SKy or BBC news that interviewed a Prof of Earthquake Engineering at Bristol Uni (think it was Sky). They have an Earthquake simulation machine at Bristol and it replicates any earthquake. They did the Christchurch one then the Japan one and the differences were staggering. There have been a good number of aftershocks in Japan that have been much larger than the Christchurch earthquake. I think the current aftershock count is 228 or something, this quake was one huge mother of a quake. Plenty more aftershocks to come yet

EDIT:

I can't remember which station it was on, but there was a scientist with a seismic earth graph & Haiti & Christchurch events appeared as literally pin pricks. The third line was like someone having a massive heart attack on the diagram. That was the line shown for this Japanese earthquake. There may be more to come as well because there was a 7.1 foreshock previous to this megaquake & no one appears to know exactly what's going to happen next!

It's linked earlier in this thread. Also

So, I hear on the radio that of all the countries in the world, Japan is probably the most safety-conscious and most likely to be thorough, rigorous and risk-averse in dealing with the management of its nuclear power facilities.

I also learn that in 1995 there was a serious accident at a fast-breeder reactor, during which the plant wasn't shut down until 90 minutes after the alarm sounded, following which there was a cover-up of the extent of the incident and the damage caused, including giving the media a video which turned out to have been edited.

In 1999 three workers suffered high levels of radiation and 100 local residents low levels of radiation, and it turned out that the company involved had changed processing procedures and removed safety measures without authority from the regulator.

In 2002 it was found that senior officials of the largest nuclear company had been falsifying safety records.

In 2007 the world's largest nuclear plant, in Japan, was closed following the release of radioactive material after an earthquake measuring 6.6. The company, which also runs Fukushima, admitted that the plant wasn't built to withstand shocks of that magnitude, but said that it wasn't built in an active earthquake zone. For comparison, earthquakes of that force might happen 120 times a year, where the current one might happen once every 20 years, according to this.

In 2007, a Japanese seismologist pointed out that between 2005 and 2007, three atomic plants had been hit by earthquakes causing tremors stronger than they had been designed to survive. He stated that the reactors had fatal flaws in their design, and that the government and the industry had nseriously underestimated the potential risks.

Info from here and here.

Anyway, I just saw

EDIT:

The aftershocks can be pretty brutal too, the shocks that normally follow quakers are 1-2 less on the richter scale, which could mean that the Japanese have another level 8 earthquake to expect! :?

What a perfect Earth God has created for us :drowsy:

If you read last years report from Geochange, then a fair number of emininent scientists are laying the blame for the recent increases in tectonic & volcanic actively firmly at the feet of climate change caused by our modern industrial society & increases in C02 & other greenhouse gases...... as I've posted a number of times.

The melting ice off glaciers is lifting the pressure off the plates & magma, which is allowing far more movement underneath across the globe. This is also being exasperated by rising sea levels globally, which are again putting more pressure on plates underneath the sea bed.

If mankind is to blame for global warming and all this increased tectonic activity is as a consequence of that global warming, then it is hardly fair to blame a Creator, who many even refuse to beleive exists.

I hasten to add these aren't my theories but those of a number of scientists involved in Geochange & other scientific organisations.

Looking to find a book about the whole state of the world, Yellowstone etc, finding this all quite fascinating and shocking. Didn't even think of the SA Fault, another big problem. Isn't it connected to the pacific plate which was one affected this week?

If mankind is to blame for global warming and all this increased tectonic activity is as a consequence of that global warming, then it is hardly fair to blame a Creator

Of course it's fair.

The only reason we can have earthquakes is because the earth isn't one surface.

Any creator worth their salt would create an earth that was one surface.

That the earth is made up of multiple plates, and constantly creating and destroying huge sections of land means that if there is a creator then they're an idiot that made some MAJOR design faults.

As for the rest of the post, what about the reduced pressure on other sections of land as a result of this rising sea level?

The mass of all things on earth is constant, it just get moved about a bit.

We aren't having any more earthquakes than at any other time in earths history, and if you look at the records we're actually overdue some pretty major events (yellowstone being one).

Any creator worth their salt would create an earth that was one surface.

Volcano eruptions & flowing magma actually help fertilise the surface, this helps recycle minerals deep within the Earth back onto the surface.

In a state of order - tectonic activity plays it's part in the Eco system.

If what is going on is ALL just the norm & has nothing to do with mankind's actions on the planet why are Scientists banding together to warn

the globes politicians about their fears?

Geochange - Alarmists or Science hailing a wake up call?

Volcano eruptions & flowing magma actually help fertilise the surface, this helps recycle minerals deep within the Earth back onto the surface.

One could argue such a system is again, extremely bad design. Why would any creator create a system to fertalise soil that causes mass extinction and wide spread destruction, when they could have came up with any one of a million other methods of fertalising the soil?

If what is going on is ALL just the norm & has nothing to do with mankind's actions on the planet why are Scientists banding together to warn

the globes politicians about their fears?

Geochange - Alarmists or Science hailing a wake up call?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETxmCCsMoD0.

Science budgets are getting cut right left and center, except for global warming. You want funding for your research? Link it to global warming.

What would you do if you were a volcanologist who's funding was at risk? Sit there and wait for the inevitable cuts, or go after the huge honey pot of funding that's just keeps getting bigger and bigger?

Â